Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hetxall traded up into the early part of the 2nd round the past two years to take wingers, so he's not totally focused on centers.

And of course the previous season he traded up from #29 to #24 to get TK. So that's three years in a row.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
My final top 31 ranking:

1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Andrei Svechnikov
3. Adam Boqvist
4. Quinn Hughes
5. Filip Zadina
6. Oliver Wahlstrom
7. Brady Tkachuk
8. Vitali Kravtsov
9. Jonatan Berggren
10. Joe Veleno
11. Joel Farabee
12. Noah Dobson
13. Jesperi Kotkaniemi
14. Filip Hallander
15. Martin Kaut
16. Barrett Hayton
17. Rasmus Sandin
18. Ty Smith
19. Grigori Denisenko
20. Ryan Merkley
21. Mattias Samuelsson
22. Evan Bouchard
23. Bode Wilde
24. Niklas Nordgren
25. Akil Thomas
26. Serron Noel
27. Albin Eriksson
28. Isac Lundestrom
29. Dominik Bokk
30. K’Andre Miller
31. David Gustafsson
Underrated Sleeper: Gabriel Fortier

Last edited:
Reactions: BigToe and Jtown

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
lyrical genius! Just look at this flow!

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
Today it is Friday, Friday (Partyin')
We-we-we so excited
We so excited
We gonna have a ball today

Tomorrow is Saturday
And Sunday comes after... wards
I don't want this weekend to end

:facepalm:

You are embarrassing all of us lol. If you want to pre-game correctly, you have to pick the right pump-up music. Like me, I'm getting pumped up by listening to the Smiths.

"And if a double-decker bus crashes into us
To die by your side is such a heavenly way to die
And if a 10-ton truck kills the both of us
To die by your side, well the pleasure, the privilege is mine"

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

You are embarrassing all of us lol. If you want to pre-game correctly, you have to pick the right pump-up music. Like me, I'm getting pumped up by listening to the Smiths.

I'm listening to Death or Glory by the Clash...I'd better not print the lyrics or I'd get banned.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Bill Meltzer with a mock draft at the Flyers website.

MELTZER: My picks (and why) for tonight's first round

He has us taking Miller at #14 and Lundeström #19.

A few comments from his article this morning:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/2018-NHL-Draft-Day-One/45/93519

"Regular readers know that I am particularly bullish on the upside of Swedish winger Jonatan Berggren but I selected someone else for the Flyers in the mock draft."

"I don't think either Jesperi Kotkaniemi or Barrett Hayton will realistically still be on the board with the 14th pick, so I'm taking those names out of the mix in that spot. If the Flyers were to trade up into the top 5 or 6, I believe that defenseman Noah Dobson would be their top specific candidate and power forward Brady Tkachuk would be a fallback option of interest if they couldn't grab one of the top centers in a center-weak first round."

"If Joel Farabee makes it the 14th overall spot -- in the mock Draft I did for the Flyers' official site, I had Dallas taking him at 13th -- he might be a player for whom the Flyers make an exception for their general preference for centers over wingers. Farabee brings all the intangibles and two-way traits they value and also has offensive upside. All he lacks is elite caliber speed and, even there, is hardly deficient."

"Among the group of forwards of personal interest to me, there's a pretty wide array that I'd have no problem with the Flyers taking either at 14th or 19th. These include the likes of Liam Foudy (arguably the fastest-riser in the second half, and one of the fastest skaters in the Draft), Isac Lundeström (versatile, solid all-around and underrated in his offensive skill), Jonatan Berggren (whom I think will score more in the NHL than many players picked ahead of him), Joe Veleno (a safe pick, although not a "sexy" one) or Martin Kaut (the type of European player whom the Flyers generally like). I'd be OK with the Flyers taking one of the Russian wildcards such as Vitali Kravtsov, the speedy and skilled but somewhat enigmatic Ryan McLeod or speedy and skilled Rasmus Kupari if they believe his hockey sense will catch up with his fast feet."

"As for the much-rumored interest in Serron Noel, he would not personally be my choice but it's hard to ignore the rare collection of tools he brings. I'd keep an open mind. He's a bit of a project, but he's also one of the youngest players in the 2018 Draft class. If Noel were to be the Flyers pick at 14 or 19, it would be a swing for the fences."

"Among defensemen likely to be on the board in the 14th to 19th range, K'Andre Miller has some similarities to Noel in terms of being a selection candidate based primarily on physical tools but I think the converted forward is actually a fairly safe pick even at his floor. If Farabee isn't there at 14th, I'd personally prefer Miller being the Philly pick there over Noel or Veleno. The Flyers' decision-makers may see it differently, of course."

"Having seen 50+ Soo Greyhounds games this season via OHL Live streams, I'd be quite comfortable with Rasmus Sandin at 19th."

"With Bode Wilde, I am concerned over both the hockey sense and character question marks that seemed to circle around him all year. The fact that he was not invited to the upcoming WJC Summer Showcase whereas teammates Miller and Samuelsson were says something about how USA Hockey views the reliability of these respective players."

Like I said, the Flyers being high on Miller strikes me as possible. I like what Meltzer said about Berggren, though he didn't pick him for his mock. If they wanted a positional and stylistic mixture of players, going Miller and Berggren would be a good haul. People keep talking Miller at 19, but 14 isn't impossible if he won't get to 19 and they like the value. We could trade down from either pick too.

But Lundestrom.......man, it's just such a safe pick. He'll be a good player, but I cannot look at this organization up and down and think "safe 200 ft 3rd line center" is the best pick in a talented wing heavy draft where we need more offensively impactful talent. We aren't even talking risky players; it just smacks me as a lazy pick, knowing he'll be a useful NHL player with maybe a hair of more certainty than others. We have a future where Giroux and Voracek are no longer impactful players or on the team and we have.......Konecny......and.......I guess Frost can play wing.......and.........who has real top line, offense driving upside? We have safe, 2-way players coming out our ass.

Seems to me that a "general preference for centers" undermines the already tough job of ranking the best player (in 3 to 4 years time) available. If it really exists in the Flyers front office, it has to skew our internal list of players, and not in a good way.

Just my 2 cents.

Of course most any center can shift to wing, but that doesn't mean the center is a better wing or better player. We aren't talking Giroux level players shifting to wing here. It's a weak center draft. We have one of the best center situations in the league short and long term. Couturier and Patrick will be the envy of almost every team in our top 6. We have Frost, Laughton, Vorobyev, Rubtsov (who should be more a slight lesson than anything). By all means, keep stockpiling centers. But reaching or just bumping one up seems ridiculous, if true. There will be plenty of opportunities to draft a center in the middle rounds. Find a way to get a 3rd rounder, and I bet there will be interesting players available like Morozov or Jenik. Maybe Topping in the 4th.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware

Is the 5 little ducks nursery ryhme acceptable? Because thats a true party starter, if thats not ok how about head, shoulders, knees, and toes by the wiggles

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Quebecois player + Ducharme connection = no doubt about it. :laugh:

Like I said, he'd be a fine late 1st or early 2nd. But it's no surprise the Canadiens are all over it.

Dashboard-3-15.png

Gun to my head, I know who I prefer.

Wilde was still ranked as a consensus top 15 prospect by every single site as recently as 2 months ago. Hell, he's still around there or top 25-30 for most. I don't get it; I didn't get it back in the fall. I wrote this 5 months ago lol:

It’s Wilde I can’t ****ing make any sense of what people see in him. I’m Helen Keller over here watching Wilde. I think he’s mistake prone, brain dead, iffy skating, and just has no awareness. Forget 1st round. I wouldn’t even have him on my list.

It seems like a lot of people have come 'round to him being seriously flawed and having red flags.......but they still can't make that final jump. Pre-season hype is powerful stuff.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

Meat shield is murder

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Green Grass & High Tides just came on my play mix & suddenly I went 0 to 100.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Not bad, but I always pre-game with a listen to Sebadoh's As the World Dies the Eyes of God Grow Bigger:

Descended from Emerson, into this life
Falling, falling, falling into my seventh life
My father rode a motorcycle naked in the rain
Mother, a flower girl, blonde and 18
Three long days in the Colorado jail
Seven months pregnant, on the western trail
She met El in San Francisco, so it goes
(She met El in San Francisco, yeah so it goes)
Elwyn was out of his head, speed up his nose
Mother met a second man, by chance
She remembered from a hometown high school dance
The night they got to fighting, man's arms, they let me fall
My head hit the concrete floor, I didn't move at all
My mom hysterical, thinking I was dead
She ran into the street, scared out of her head
I watched the stars in the heavens for a while
Then I came around for good, but not with a smile
Moved home to the valley where the hippies conspire
Even my grandma loved to get high
My father dosed liquid LSD
Fried his mind for years to come, look what it's done to me
The breakup ensued, I held my baby brother's hand
I held my baby brother's hand
The nights that followed, footsteps could be heard
(The nights that followed in the house, footsteps could be heard)
No one on the second floor except spirits I have learned
Mom and her best friend said, "It's time to go"
To Arroyo Hondo, New Mexico
Adobe huts, I recall every gathering adobe
I was hungry in the desert; I wanted to go home
Morning I awoke; I was all alone
(But I walked outside I realized)
No one but a f***ing geek to share the dusty home
(No one was there; I thought I would die)
As I walked outside I realized
(Time stood still; I watched the dome)
No one was there; I thought I would die
(Then the bug came back, tears in my throat)
Time stood still as I watched the goat
(Next thing I knew I was in public school)
The nurse of a new bug came back; tears in my throat
(It wasn't much, but it followed the rules)
Next thing I knew I was in public school
(Sat alone; stood alone)
It wasn't much, but it followed the rules
(Tried my best to understand my broken home)
Sat alone; stood alone
(I got to watch my poor mother cry)
Tried to understand my broken home
(Empty, exposed to all she felt inside)
I got to watch my poor mother cry
(And then I hear these hippies philosophize)
Empty, exposed to all she felt inside
And hear these hippies philosophize
And dreaming of the commune in the sky
(Too many changing partners at different times
Brothers and sisters, don't get too close
And dreaming of the commune in the sky
And mother waves him goodbye, so I'm left here on my puzzle with nobody's help)
Boycott society, then the kids can't socialize
(My faith is my strength, living in hell)
We had a cat named & quote Hope & quote and soon it died
(Thinking about our locks too thin, wondering if I'm at all like him)
There were nervous breakdowns every day, numerous crises games
(Before the flood, before the flood, of blood, I'm dead serious, you just you wait)
Parents like to play, too many changing partners
(The Nazi Klan looked like 6)
At different times
(The plan is well underway)
Brothers and sisters, don't get too close
(Those who crossed me are cursed, will see fewer days)
Another routine goodbye
(You'll listen to me; let's kill in the street)
So I'm working on my puzzle with nobody's help
(You made a big mistake so just you f***in', living in hell, El)
My faith is my strength because I'm living in hell, thinking about hell
Locked in the bin, wondering if I'm at all like him
Before the flood, before the flood of blood
I'm dead serious, so just you wait
The Manson Klan will look like saints
(The Nazi Klan will look like saints)
The plan's well underway, those who crossed me will see fewer days
(The plan's well underway, those who crossed me are cursed)
You're wastable to me; you're road kill in the street
(Just you wait, you will see fewer days)
You're so wastable to me, like the road kill in the street; you made a big mistake
(Satan)
So just you f***ing wait
(Satan)
Blood on the walls; blood on the walls
(Satan; Satan)
Dear friends, goodbye, needlessly you f*** with me; now you're going to die
Blood on the walls; blood on the walls; blood on the walls; blood on the walls; blood on the walls; blood on the walls; blood on the walls; blood on the walls; blood on the walls; blood on the walls
(Satan; Satan; Satan; Satan)

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Is Kid Rock performing at the draft?

It's tough for me because when I think "Kid Rock" I think total washed up, throw away no-talent performer who doesn't really have anything to do with hockey nor does it even seem like anyone who watches hockey would give any f***s about his performance...

And then I think...well sounds just about like what the NHL looks for when finding performers for their events. (With very few exceptions.)

My point is...is he performing at the draft? If he is, I don't care, and perhaps more importantly, I hope they just cut to commercial.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I agree with Magua on Wilde in that I think his skating is overrated (Niedermayer comparisons make me WTF?) & that he seems tunnel visioned (which I hate in defensemen).

But I do have him ranked over K’Andre (23 vs. 31). I think once you get into the mid-20s it’s fair to consider Wilde. All the players I have ranked in that range have some kind of deficiency. Getting a big RH defenseman with Wilde’s size, strength, & booming shot wouldn’t be the worst move in the late first. However, I have several players ranked ahead of him who are likely to be available in the 20s and whom I’d prefer if the Flyers trade down.
I don’t see much offensive upside in Miller, & that bothers me considering I’m not sold on his defensive awareness, either; so b/w him & Wilde I’d roll the dice on Wilde.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
It's tough for me because when I think "Kid Rock" I think total washed up, throw away no-talent performer who doesn't really have anything to do with hockey nor does it even seem like anyone who watches hockey would give any f***s about his performance...

And then I think...well sounds just about like what the NHL looks for when finding performers for their events. (With very few exceptions.)

My point is...is he performing at the draft? If he is, I don't care, and perhaps more importantly, I hope they just cut to commercial.
Really? I thought he was popular amongst the rock likers.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I agree with Magua on Wilde in that I think his skating is overrated (Niedermayer comparisons make me WTF?) & that he seems tunnel visioned (which I hate in defensemen).

But I do have him ranked over K’Andre (23 vs. 31). I think once you get into the mid-20s it’s fair to consider Wilde. All the players I have ranked in that range have some kind of deficiency. Getting a big RH defenseman with Wilde’s size, strength, & booming shot wouldn’t be the worst move in the late first. However, I have several players ranked ahead of him who are likely to be available in the 20s and whom I’d prefer if the Flyers trade down.
I don’t see much offensive upside in Miller, & that bothers me considering I’m not sold on his defensive awareness, either; so b/w him & Wilde I’d roll the dice on Wilde.
:eek:

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Really? I thought he was popular amongst the rock likers.

His music is rock? I thought it was pseudo-pop country rock-ish rap-ish something.

Besides he ripped Sweet Home Alabama AND Werewolves of London in one really, really shitty song that is still played all the time on the radio for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad