Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Would be surprised if we drafted 3 straight forwards after using our first 3 picks on forwards last year as well.

I wouldn't - especially the 1st rd picks, because you always take the top 6 forward over the 3rd pair defenseman - that is, if you don't think any of the defensemen on the board have a legitimate shot at being top 4 guys, stick with the forwards.

You can always package forward prospects and draft picks for a top defenseman prospect or young player.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Meltzer has good insights into the organization, but Hexy is such a closed book (not a bad thing) that Bill is speculating here, and he admits it.

My biggest concern with Bill's article this morning is this:

"If Joel Farabee makes it the 14th overall spot -- in the mock Draft I did for the Flyers' official site, I had Dallas taking him at 13th -- he might be a player for whom the Flyers make an exception for their general preference for centers over wingers. Farabee brings all the intangibles and two-way traits they value and also has offensive upside. All he lacks is elite caliber speed and, even there, is hardly deficient."

The Flyers could really use a couple highly skilled wings with elite shots and skating. Kids who project these skills at the NHL level are really valuable. If they don't have a perfect 200 foot game today, that can be taught, assuming you've assessed their intelligence and character sufficiently and have determined that they are coachable kids.

Seems to me that a "general preference for centers" undermines the already tough job of ranking the best player (in 3 to 4 years time) available. If it really exists in the Flyers front office, it has to skew our internal list of players, and not in a good way.

Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree with you Foggster, except that I don't think we have to worry about it - I think Bill's speculation is probably a bit too speculative in this case. I think we "preferred" centers when it was a fairly dire organizational need - I don't know that that tendency will carry forward now that it isn't. At least not to the point where we would draft a center over a winger if the winger had a slight advantage in skill, IQ, speed, etc.

Reactions: Foggy14

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I totally agree with you Foggster, except that I don't think we have to worry about it - I think Bill's speculation is probably a bit too speculative in this case. I think we "preferred" centers when it was a fairly dire organizational need - I don't know that that tendency will carry forward now that it isn't. At least not to the point where we would draft a center over a winger if the winger had a slight advantage in skill, IQ, speed, etc.

Captain, I'm hoping you're right. Should be a fun evening.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Seems to me that a "general preference for centers" undermines the already tough job of ranking the best player (in 3 to 4 years time) available. If it really exists in the Flyers front office, it has to skew our internal list of players, and not in a good way.

Just my 2 cents.

Nah, it's more a reflection that centers in junior hockey and abroad tend to be the best athletes with the highest hockey IQ.
Same way the most talented HS baseball players are shortstops and centerfielders.
So it's easier to move a junior center to wing then find a junior wing who has NHL upside.

Bunnaman is a good example, center in junior hockey who'll probably end up a LW at Lehigh and if he makes it to Philly.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
McKenzie has him at #39 and only HP and Button have him mid-late 20s. It's possible Beaudin goes late day 1. Definitely possible he goes first few picks Saturday. That's a player I hated ranking. I feel like he's too low, but he's also behind guys who I know will go later. And taking him over Foudy or Lundestrom or Samuelsson or those guys isn't crazy to me. It's a very fluid range for me. I guess I could tweak it pre-draft if I felt so inclined, but then I might reconsider the other way. I know he's a good player though, so I feel good about my evaluation on him, if not his rank.
10 Thoughts: Bergevin looking to add centre, defenceman for Canadiens - Sportsnet.ca
The other interesting one is Bergevin’s four second-rounders, including Nos. 35 and 38. Will he try and use those to move into the later stages of round one? Potential target: Drummondville defender Nicolas Beaudin, who played for newly-hired assistant coach Dominique Ducharme. Cosentino doesn’t think Beaudin will be there at 35.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Dashboard-3-15.png

Gun to my head, I know who I prefer.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Whats the likelihood of the Flyers trading up for Tkachuk? If he falls to 7/8... the flyers could package 14/19/prospect like rubtsov for the pick.

While the flyers have so many “good/top6” prospects- the one thing the lack is superstar prospects. While Patrick could be that borderline player- I think Tkachuk is that.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Whats the likelihood of the Flyers trading up for Tkachuk? If he falls to 7/8... the flyers could package 14/19/prospect like rubtsov for the pick.

While the flyers have so many “good/top6” prospects- the one thing the lack is superstar prospects. While Patrick could be that borderline player- I think Tkachuk is that.

He could slip, but I find it unlikely he slips outside the top-6. Trading up that far would be too costly.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'd by OK with Miller at 19 with the caveat that I don't know who will be on the board. Upside play and they can take their time with him.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

oprah.gif

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
He could slip, but I find it unlikely he slips outside the top-6. Trading up that far would be too costly.
I really only meant it if he falls to 7/8.
It looks like MTL will f*** up again and draft Jesperi Kot., and vancouver needs a sniper of a D guy as a major need. Arizona could take him, but they could also be all over Dobson or Boquvist

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I really only meant it if he falls to 7/8.
It looks like MTL will **** up again and draft Jesperi Kot., and vancouver needs a sniper of a D guy as a major need. Arizona could take him, but they could also be all over Dobson or Boquvist

Even if he does, I don't think it is worth it. Guys like Kravstov and Farabee are only marginally worse prospects.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Nah, it's more a reflection that centers in junior hockey and abroad tend to be the best athletes with the highest hockey IQ.
Same way the most talented HS baseball players are shortstops and centerfielders.
So it's easier to move a junior center to wing then find a junior wing who has NHL upside.

Bunnaman is a good example, center in junior hockey who'll probably end up a LW at Lehigh and if he makes it to Philly.

As a center in my playing days it was always clear to me that we were the best and smartest guys on the team ;-)

Seriously, I understand what you're saying, but as the League moves to more skill and speed, and the kids get placed in specialized roles at a younger age, I'm not sure it's the right way to rank draft eligible players anymore.

Tonight will tell us a lot about Hexy's philosophy.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

If he falls to 7/8 I am totally fine in moving up to get him, but I am not giving up 14, 19, AND one of our top prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad