Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I think my choices are Farabee and Berggren as well. But I don't think I'd be all that mad if we got two of Farabee, Kravtsov, Breggren, Kaut, Hayton, Veleno.

I think we should draft the eff out of demensemen outside the first though.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
honestly the only way I'll be bummed is if we take Noel at 14.

I'll be fine with any of Kravstov, Valeno, Hayton, Farabee etc.
They just better not reach at 14. Go ahead and reach at 19 if there's someone we really like, but at 14 take what's there.

Reactions: kelmitchell

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
honestly the only way I'll be bummed is if we take Noel at 14.

I'll be fine with any of Kravstov, Valeno, Hayton, Farabee etc.
They just better not reach at 14. Go ahead and reach at 19 if there's someone we really like, but at 14 take what's there.

Agree. Noel at 14 would ruin the Draft for me unless something unlikely happens like Kravstov slips to 19 and we Draft or we reach on a riser like Berggren.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
2018 NHL Mock Draft | 2018 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

#14 Farabee
#19 Noel
#50 McBain

latest

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Bill Meltzer with a mock draft at the Flyers website.

MELTZER: My picks (and why) for tonight's first round

He has us taking Miller at #14 and Lundeström #19.

A few comments from his article this morning:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/2018-NHL-Draft-Day-One/45/93519

"Regular readers know that I am particularly bullish on the upside of Swedish winger Jonatan Berggren but I selected someone else for the Flyers in the mock draft."

"I don't think either Jesperi Kotkaniemi or Barrett Hayton will realistically still be on the board with the 14th pick, so I'm taking those names out of the mix in that spot. If the Flyers were to trade up into the top 5 or 6, I believe that defenseman Noah Dobson would be their top specific candidate and power forward Brady Tkachuk would be a fallback option of interest if they couldn't grab one of the top centers in a center-weak first round."

"If Joel Farabee makes it the 14th overall spot -- in the mock Draft I did for the Flyers' official site, I had Dallas taking him at 13th -- he might be a player for whom the Flyers make an exception for their general preference for centers over wingers. Farabee brings all the intangibles and two-way traits they value and also has offensive upside. All he lacks is elite caliber speed and, even there, is hardly deficient."

"Among the group of forwards of personal interest to me, there's a pretty wide array that I'd have no problem with the Flyers taking either at 14th or 19th. These include the likes of Liam Foudy (arguably the fastest-riser in the second half, and one of the fastest skaters in the Draft), Isac Lundeström (versatile, solid all-around and underrated in his offensive skill), Jonatan Berggren (whom I think will score more in the NHL than many players picked ahead of him), Joe Veleno (a safe pick, although not a "sexy" one) or Martin Kaut (the type of European player whom the Flyers generally like). I'd be OK with the Flyers taking one of the Russian wildcards such as Vitali Kravtsov, the speedy and skilled but somewhat enigmatic Ryan McLeod or speedy and skilled Rasmus Kupari if they believe his hockey sense will catch up with his fast feet."

"As for the much-rumored interest in Serron Noel, he would not personally be my choice but it's hard to ignore the rare collection of tools he brings. I'd keep an open mind. He's a bit of a project, but he's also one of the youngest players in the 2018 Draft class. If Noel were to be the Flyers pick at 14 or 19, it would be a swing for the fences."

"Among defensemen likely to be on the board in the 14th to 19th range, K'Andre Miller has some similarities to Noel in terms of being a selection candidate based primarily on physical tools but I think the converted forward is actually a fairly safe pick even at his floor. If Farabee isn't there at 14th, I'd personally prefer Miller being the Philly pick there over Noel or Veleno. The Flyers' decision-makers may see it differently, of course."

"Having seen 50+ Soo Greyhounds games this season via OHL Live streams, I'd be quite comfortable with Rasmus Sandin at 19th."

"With Bode Wilde, I am concerned over both the hockey sense and character question marks that seemed to circle around him all year. The fact that he was not invited to the upcoming WJC Summer Showcase whereas teammates Miller and Samuelsson were says something about how USA Hockey views the reliability of these respective players."

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I was actively not a Norris fan. I’m not sure if there’s hype that Foudy is a 1st rounder, or what his combine numbers were (presumably good but I don’t care really), but I’m a fan. Not as a 1st though. But as an early 2nd, he’s a real good player. Stizzle was right on: Foudy looked great for Canada. But more than that, he looked great for London after the deadline. Went back and watched him a lot after the tournament. Was over a point/game in his last 25 games or whatever. I have more in my write-up, but I’m a believer. He’s not just a fast skater. That said, basing anything off the combine is silly.

@Magua quotes on liam Foudy for @Curufinwe

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I've purposefully kept myself away from watching these players so I don't really have a preference for tonight.

That way I can't be disappointed if we don't get whoever I would've wanted.

giphy.gif

Same, honestly. I know nothing about this year's draft class. I keep seeing the names Farabee and Veleno associated with the #14 pick. That's about it. I have this gut feeling that the #19 pick will not be made by the Flyers.

Reactions: Striiker

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Meltzer has good insights into the organization, but Hexy is such a closed book (not a bad thing) that Bill is speculating here, and he admits it.

My biggest concern with Bill's article this morning is this:

"If Joel Farabee makes it the 14th overall spot -- in the mock Draft I did for the Flyers' official site, I had Dallas taking him at 13th -- he might be a player for whom the Flyers make an exception for their general preference for centers over wingers. Farabee brings all the intangibles and two-way traits they value and also has offensive upside. All he lacks is elite caliber speed and, even there, is hardly deficient."

The Flyers could really use a couple highly skilled wings with elite shots and skating. Kids who project these skills at the NHL level are really valuable. If they don't have a perfect 200 foot game today, that can be taught, assuming you've assessed their intelligence and character sufficiently and have determined that they are coachable kids.

Seems to me that a "general preference for centers" undermines the already tough job of ranking the best player (in 3 to 4 years time) available. If it really exists in the Flyers front office, it has to skew our internal list of players, and not in a good way.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad