Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Hextall should have some great options at 14.

11 who in all likelihood will be gone before 14. Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk, Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes, Hayton, Wahlstrom, Boqvist.

I feel like there is a good shot Smith is selected at 12 and maybe Veleno at 13.

That leaves guys Kravstov and Farabee still available.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
"Center" bump.
Yeah, but even then, I can't think of a guy with the profile of Veleno having so many divided opinions at this point in the year. You obviously see it with guys who have been under scouted and have strong second halves, but not someone of Veleno's stature. Some people have him top ten or before 15, yet many others have him late first/early second. I'm sure he'll go early because he's a center, but I'm not sure where I'd take him.

Not that they're great, but McKeen's has him at 10 and above Kotkaniemi and Hayton. Kind of bizarre to me.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The last five defensemen drafted #1 overall is pretty rough. Aaron Ekblad (Florida, 2014), Erik Johnson (St. Louis, 2006), Chris Phillips (Ottawa, 1996), Bryan Berard (Ottawa, 1995), & Ed Jovanovski (Florida, 1994).

Denis Potvin was the last defensemen drafted #1 overall & win the Norris. He was drafted in 1973.

I wanted us to trade for Jovo so, so badly - the way that all these guys on here want us to trade for (or sign), EK, JT, ROR, LOL, etc.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The last five defensemen drafted #1 overall is pretty rough. Aaron Ekblad (Florida, 2014), Erik Johnson (St. Louis, 2006), Chris Phillips (Ottawa, 1996), Bryan Berard (Ottawa, 1995), & Ed Jovanovski (Florida, 1994).

Denis Potvin was the last defensemen drafted #1 overall & win the Norris. He was drafted in 1973.
Ekblad, EJ, and Jovanovski are (or were) good players. Ekblad has only played four seasons and he's looked pretty damned good (and defensemen take longer to develop! or is that just for Flyers defensemen :sarcasm:). EJ isn't a point producer but he's been good throughout his career, and Jovo was a Norris contender for most of his career.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I still think we grab a Dman with one of our 1st. With Myers, Sanheim, Ghost and Provy that should be the top 4 soon, but the expansion draft DOES loom. And we have no other Dman that projects to be a top 4 dman. Now some could, but they don't project there right now. So grabbing one who Hextall and Co thinks can be one in a few years does make sense. Especially seeing the issues Morin had this past year...and future year. Safety in numbers!

Especially when at F you project to have:

Giroux Couts TK
Lindblom Patrick Voracek
Ratcliffe Frost Allison

....and whatever F you take with the oher 1st rounder we have who should have top 6 upside.

Having Morin, Friedman and Hogberg as our top D prospects once Myers moves on is a real drop off from recent years. Time to re-load the D!!
i agree. if they dont move up for a defenseman, or someone doesnt slide to 14, i think they go d at 19 and possibly even trade down to take one. sandin makes a lot of sense.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The comments in that tweet just show how big of p***yes hockey fans really are. They’re trying to hand out participation medals instead of making the biggest talent feeder for the NHL the best it can possibly be.

The cream always rises to the top.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Interesting shift-by-shift video of Denisenko from an MHL playoff game in April. He's #14 in white.

The skating, puck handling, the goal and the willingness to work hard to get back on defense are all impressive.

I've yet to read a good explanation of why he was kept off Russia's U18 World Championships team. Any ideas?

This kid looks pretty damn good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad