Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I disagree. I think posiiton will factor greatly into the deciison making process. its a philosphy that i am fine with too . THe thing about missing on top 6 centers is that they can play bottom 6 roles. If you miss on a top 6 winger, they don't help you in the lineup.

Farabee is the only guy to me that could do well on a 3rd line.

Problem is you're projecting 3 years out, #14 might make it by 2019-20, but more like 20-21 after the ED.
Since you don't know who you're gonna lose (if anyone, or do you trade a 1st rd pick???) it's hard to know what you'll need in three years.

To me, you go BPA, keep accumulating assets, develop them, then "sell high" when they are on the verge of the NHL and doing enough in the AHL to garner interest. Or when they're ready to replace a player on the roster you would trade instead.

Now, BPA isn't etched in stone, often you're choosing between 2-3 players who you like, then the one that seems to be the best fit is the choice, because you're not sacrificing value.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Problem is you're projecting 3 years out, #14 might make it by 2019-20, but more like 20-21 after the ED.
Since you don't know who you're gonna lose (if anyone, or do you trade a 1st rd pick???) it's hard to know what you'll need in three years.

To me, you go BPA, keep accumulating assets, develop them, then "sell high" when they are on the verge of the NHL and doing enough in the AHL to garner interest. Or when they're ready to replace a player on the roster you would trade instead.

Now, BPA isn't etched in stone, often you're choosing between 2-3 players who you like, then the one that seems to be the best fit is the choice, because you're not sacrificing value.
It is extremely hard , no it's darn near impossible to know what you will need in three years . There are injuries someones wife is stalking someone,guys flaming out etc. Montreal had the best goalie in the world three years ago , what happened the last two . You lay down a plan but things can fall apart quickly.

Reactions: Larry44

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Also side note, I know there is like a 0% chance of ever happening. Like 0, but I just watched a few highlight videos and 2 play-by-plays of Zadina. That kid is slick. He plays hard and looks like a pro when does. Crazy. He's going to be good.

Reactions: Morinisbear

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I just talked to my flyers buddy and I fired out Farabee,Kravstov the guys I would like at 14, he’s like persistent that we will take ty smith at 14. So I responded although we do need depth on d, I firstly want a right dman and not at 14. If we get another first for simmer then I would nab k’Andre Miller or Samuelsson with 20 whatever or a dman with second rounder. If we have 3 first I would go Farabee, Berggren and Miller. Or samuelsson. Not hexy style to go with wingers that High, but their are no centres I would consider good value at those spots. We will find out in a few days how much tinkering hexy does and start discussions on our picks.

Reactions: hatcher

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I just talked to my flyers buddy and I fired out Farabee,Kravstov the guys I would like at 14, he’s like persistent that we will take ty smith at 14. So I responded although we do need depth on d, I firstly want a right dman and not at 14. If we get another first for simmer then I would nab k’Andre Miller or Samuelsson with 20 whatever or a dman with second rounder. If we have 3 first I would go Farabee, Berggren and Miller. Or samuelsson. Not hexy style to go with wingers that High, but their are no centres I would consider good value at those spots. We will find out in a few days how much tinkering hexy does and start discussions on our picks.
Yeah, I used to study the draft like crazy, then every year the Flyers would mess it up. Trade up. Trade down. Trade the picks altogether.

I've seen Ty Smith rated very high up in the first round. If they have him in the top 10 or better and he's still there, go for it. Get a forward at 19. I'd love to add a late first and get Kjell's kid, looks like a stud.

We'll see. Will they trade up from 14 to get Dobson with Edmonton, Detroit? Trade 19 back to get two of Montreal's early 2nds or Chicago's or Vegas' late 1st? Lots of options and never a lack of excitement with Hexy at the helm.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Also side note, I know there is like a 0% chance of ever happening. Like 0, but I just watched a few highlight videos and 2 play-by-plays of Zadina. That kid is slick. He plays hard and looks like a pro when does. Crazy. He's going to be good.
Totally agree. I had him 1st for a while, but now have him 2nd on my personal list. He has the most skill of anyone in this draft in my opinion....unreal!

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I still think we grab a Dman with one of our 1st. With Myers, Sanheim, Ghost and Provy that should be the top 4 soon, but the expansion draft DOES loom. And we have no other Dman that projects to be a top 4 dman. Now some could, but they don't project there right now. So grabbing one who Hextall and Co thinks can be one in a few years does make sense. Especially seeing the issues Morin had this past year...and future year. Safety in numbers!

Especially when at F you project to have:

Giroux Couts TK
Lindblom Patrick Voracek
Ratcliffe Frost Allison

....and whatever F you take with the oher 1st rounder we have who should have top 6 upside.

Having Morin, Friedman and Hogberg as our top D prospects once Myers moves on is a real drop off from recent years. Time to re-load the D!!

It's definitely a little weird to me that we have to reload our defense core before half of them have even played a full season. Of course you're right and we could use another long-term impact defenseman (multiple wouldn't hurt!) and expansion is looming to throw a monkey wrench into our current group. I'm still of the belief, while preparation has to be done for worst case scenario, we can very likely get out unscathed with a deal, just like other teams this past expansion. Odds are it's someone like Myers exposed, and he might have 1.5 seasons tops with little PP time. We won't be talking a 40 point top pair d-man. He's still probably as good or better than anyone we draft too.

But Myers was undrafted; Ghost was a 3rd rounder. These are 2/4 of the building blocks. Typically defenseman are easier to hit on later. So, what I'm long-windedly saying is that I don't think we HAVE to draft a d-man in the 1st, unless they're BPA. Hogberg, Morin, Kalynuk are all interesting players with NHL potential. We aren't devoid of talent; often "top 4" skill is different than top 4 on-ice value. And, much to our chagrin, Hagg is here for awhile too as a valuable contributor in their eyes, unless he gets taken in expansion......which would be okay.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a d-man taken in the 1st or pushed up in a tied scenario (I'm thinking they'll like Miller's tools and intangibles, just a hunch; there's no 1st round RD except Lundkvist), but they don't have to be reached on. There are a lot of interesting names in the 2nd or later where you can cheat towards fit and need more. But you don't need to pick a d-man early if it's not clearly BPA. And if that d-man is a LD who doesn't actually fill a potential hole? Still take him.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
It wouldn't surprise me to see a d-man taken in the 1st or pushed up in a tied scenario (I'm thinking they'll like Miller's tools and intangibles, just a hunch; there's no 1st round RD except Lundkvist

How dare you, sir?

How daaaare you besmirch the great JBD?!?!? ;)

Jacob-Bernard-Docker-Okotoks-Oilers.jpg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's definitely a little weird to me that we have to reload our defense core before half of them have even played a full season. Of course you're right and we could use another long-term impact defenseman (multiple wouldn't hurt!) and expansion is looming to throw a monkey wrench into our current group. I'm still of the belief, while preparation has to be done for worst case scenario, we can very likely get out unscathed with a deal, just like other teams this past expansion. Odds are it's someone like Myers exposed, and he might have 1.5 seasons tops with little PP time. We won't be talking a 40 point top pair d-man. He's still probably as good or better than anyone we draft too.

But Myers was undrafted; Ghost was a 3rd rounder. These are 2/4 of the building blocks. Typically defenseman are easier to hit on later. So, what I'm long-windedly saying is that I don't think we HAVE to draft a d-man in the 1st, unless they're BPA. Hogberg, Morin, Kalynuk are all interesting players with NHL potential. We aren't devoid of talent; often "top 4" skill is different than top 4 on-ice value. And, much to our chagrin, Hagg is here for awhile too as a valuable contributor in their eyes, unless he gets taken in expansion......which would be okay.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a d-man taken in the 1st or pushed up in a tied scenario (I'm thinking they'll like Miller's tools and intangibles, just a hunch; there's no 1st round RD except Lundkvist), but they don't have to be reached on. There are a lot of interesting names in the 2nd or later where you can cheat towards fit and need more. But you don't need to pick a d-man early if it's not clearly BPA. And if that d-man is a LD who doesn't actually fill a potential hole? Still take him.
I don't disagree with you. I have said before that where we pick, unless a Dman falls, I personally don't care for and Dman at our picks. But I don't think Hextall agrees with me....lol.

OR, maybe I was trying the reverse jinx.

;)

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
my realistic dreams for 14.

boqvist
kravstov

after that there is a group i am ok with

hayton
veleno
denisenko
kupari

Who i specifically don't want

Smith
Farabee.
wilde

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
How dare you, sir?

How daaaare you besmirch the great JBD?!?!? ;)

Jacob-Bernard-Docker-Okotoks-Oilers.jpg

Hey, he's a target early day 2, as I mentioned! I still only saw him once. But maybe he sneaks in really late day 1, but that would be an issue unless we trade down pretty far. But at this time it does seem he's more likely to be a 2nd. For right now, Lundkvist may be the only really projectable 1st round RHD outside the top players.

You have Beaudin (LD), Tychonick (LD), Samuelsson (LD), McIsaac (LD).......that's basically in that late 1st-early 2nd range. JBD and Woo (who wouldn't be an early 2nd to me) are the only righties. Regula would be a good 3rd rounder if he's there, except one little problem. And is he actually a "top 4" talent, in the traditional sense? That's what I was saying though about being able to impact a game more than your skill level. Good players play up. Zhuravlyov plays a lot of RD as a lefty, as one of my potential 3/4 round steals. I've seen Miller play the right side, though Spencer Stastney and Mattias Sammy usually played it next to him better. Sandin I don't know if I've seen play RD; I bet he could. Smith has, but that's more talking the #14 pick.

Basically my point still stands: I'd rather a better forward than a worse (relatively speaking) defenseman. I'd rather a better LHD than a worse RHD (and JBD is basically the only one outside of Lundkvist perhaps worth coveting). I'm very much for theoretically adding a good defenseman in the first 2 rounds, but it has to work out that way too. It's no secret which forwards I'd covet more than a d-man. I'd be willing to trade down from 14 or 19 depending on what goes down with the draft board. Trading up from 50 to ~40 is always in the cards too on its own.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I think that Kravtsov will be gone by 14 so one of Lundestrom or Kupari would suit me there. At 19, it may be a bit of a reach but I'm for taking Kjell Samuellson's son. He can play either side, skates well, is fundamentally sound and his size is good. The fact that's Dad has played the game matters to me; he knows what the pro game is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad