Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Watching Hextall's press conference, and the recent video with Pryor, has left me feeling there's a distinct possibility they are going to try to trade up for Wahlstrom.
This is what i've been lobbying for all year. I love Wahlstroms game, and I think he's going to end up being the 2nd or 3rd best player out of this draft. He also fills a glaring need, even if he's a few years away.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think Wahlstrom is going to be a force on LW. Goal scoring LWer on this team would be so damn good to have. Plus the kid is built like a truck. He apparently models his game after Laine, and if he can get near that, then f*** me do we need to get him.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This is what i've been lobbying for all year. I love Wahlstroms game, and I think he's going to end up being the 2nd or 3rd best player out of this draft. He also fills a glaring need, even if he's a few years away.

Wahlstrom is the type of power forward I bet Hextall thinks would be the perfect complement to a player like Frost.

Hextall likes size. Wahlstrom certainly has size, power, and an absolute cannon shot. I do think he would fit in very well with the young core; they don't have a player of Wahlstrom's style. My concern with Wahlstrom is how much did he rely on Jack Hughes? His stats were rather pedestrian for a top prospect until the magician Hughes came along to center him this season. That worried me at first. That said, the more I watch Wahlstrom, the more I like him, and he should be fine with Patrick or Frost setting him up.

I'm not completely sure it's worth giving up 14 & 19 to trade up, still debating that idea, but I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't be exciting to have Wahlstrom in the system.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
How would everyone feel about trading 19 back and taking Bernard-Docker?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
How would everyone feel about trading 19 back and taking Bernard-Docker?
It all depends on who is available at 19 and how far back they are trading. Way too hard to evaluate that without knowing more. I am perfectly fine moving both up and down depending on the circumstances, but this draft does seem like a prime candidate to take one and move it back (maybe even try and pick up an additional first next year?).

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
What are peoples thoughts on Grigori Denisenko? Seems to be a homerun swing that many are looking for. Def lacks a 200 ft game, but he prob has a ceiling of Panarin.

Reactions: Patrick Division

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
What are peoples thoughts on Grigori Denisenko? Seems to be a homerun swing that many are looking for. Def lacks a 200 ft game, but he prob has a ceiling of Panarin.
His lack of production really bothers me and is a red flag, especially considering his lack of size. That said, if the Flyers took him at 19 I wouldn't be too upset, because he certainly has tantalizing skills.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
My Hayton thoughts are so conflicted. He's just been one of those guys I watch and re-watch trying to get a read, and I'm never sure. He's one of the players I'm least sure of my opinion about. I just would rather dreamily think about a Kravtsov or Berggren type player. I think they are better; I think they fill a bigger need. But it's not like I didn't write this back in August:

Hayton too, who isn't ranked by anyone yet as a 1st rounder, but that's probably going to change. He scored a lot of points, yeah, but he was used in every situation for Canada, all strengths, and he looked awesome besides the scoring. Competed like a bas***d in the dirty areas, super smart, excellent skill as a passer/shooter, quick feet. First reaction was him being a bigger Anderson-Dolan. It's going to be fun seeing him and Frost center the top two lines for SSM. Sure I'll be watching a lot of him to get a better gauge. They both seemed like "Flyers type" picks fwiw. Maybe they'll be in the vicinity of their pick.

That sure sounds like something a super fan would say today. Not everything I think in small sample 9 months ago looks great now (as page 1 shows), though rarely is something entirely wrong either, but I wanted to believe in him so badly entering the season. I was often disappointed for the majority of it. Yet, his late season and playoff viewings were very strong and he looked a lot more like this player again to me. But the minor gripes I talk about aren't entirely fiction to me either, even if they're not "negatives" so much as "not entirely positives." So, I guess reality ends up something in between. I just like others more at #14. This isn't a player I close to dislike and would at least be comfortable with him, unlike a handful of other players.

Maybe it's a bit of an overreaction to being called the next Bergeron too. If he was ranked more in the mid-late teens, I'd be less critical. Again, Robert Thomas was ranked low-mid 20s by most. Button had him close to 50 and Hayton 7. Now, he could go top 10.

This draft lacks centers so it wouldn’t be a surprise if Hayton gets pushed up boards.

Bingo. And he probably won't even make it to #14.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I like him. Definitely wouldn't be dissapointed in picking him at 19.

Reactions: Jtown

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I love how people call Hayton "the next Bergeron" but then have him ranked in the 10-15 range. If he had a realistic chance to be the next Bergeron, he'd be a top 5 pick. The contradictions amuse me.

Reactions: Tripod

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I am chuckling now at people who said last year's draft was WOAT... but in hindsight looky looky at who the best C's are in 2018. Valeno? Hayton? Kotkaniemi?

Nico & Nolan were/are significantly better prospects than any C available in this draft AINEC

Reactions: Rebels57 and Jtown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->