Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The expansion draft uses Article 13.4 in the CBA. Kravstov would have to appear in 11 NHL games for this season to count towards expansion protection. The NHL used that clause to determine the eligibility of some Vancouver players for the expansion draft with Las Vegas.

A writer from The Athletic from Vancouver wrote about Quinn Hughes and the Canucks. Same scenario as Kravstov.

Kravstov would still need 7 years accrued or 27 to become a Group III. He would arbitration eligible sooner. Group II sooner.

Gorton is not very concerned about the Rangers going players becoming free agents one year too early. He could have waited a few weeks to bring back Andersson and not have him get an accrued service year. Being on the NHL roster for 40 games. He said he is not concerned about that because the Rangers will have identified their core players way before then. Brooks spoke to Gorton about it. Last Tuesday’s Post. Chytil being benched article.

The Rangers get no slide if Kravstov plays this season with him turning 20 in December but it doesn’t not count towards expansion if he plays less than 11 games as a 19 year old. It won’t count as an accrued season towards group III.

The Duclair situation from a few years ago. The Rangers signed him in January 2014. They got one slide instead of two. The clock on Duclair’s contract started but his contract would not have count against the 50 SPC limit because he was 19 playing in junior. He made the Rangers that season anyway.

The CBA is quirky.

The Rangers could have Kravstov skate with the Rangers in practice and play in the AHL on a tryout contract.

Seidenberg skated with the Islanders all season in practice on a tryout and they signed him last week.
Do you have a source that explicitly identifies 13.4 as being the relevant section? (For those following along - 13.4 is part of determining waiver eligibility; nothing in the CBA explicitly outlines expansion draft player exemption eligibility, but it does seem to be consistent with similar eligibility rules elsewhere. Lots of guesswork.) I couldn't find anything that explicitly identified any ruleset. The closest I got was found by someone else; it was some investigation by General Fanager prior to the Vegas draft, which cited some rules that matched nicely with the rules for RFA status - 10.2(a)(i) - and Salary Arbitration eligibility - 12.1(a) and 12.1(c) - and so I went with those when producing that diagram @Maylo cited (and yes, that mention is why I'm here; blame Maylo ;) ). The most substantive difference I can see is that the age rules might be subtly different (mostly because 13.4's age rules are confusing as all hell in this context; they focus on draft year specifically, and so I didn't think they were relevant).

I think the end result w/r/t Kravtsov in particular ends up being the same either way, but it'd be nice to be more certain. :)

Reactions: lucky13

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The expansion draft uses Article 13.4 in the CBA. Kravstov would have to appear in 11 NHL games for this season to count towards expansion protection. The NHL used that clause to determine the eligibility of some Vancouver players for the expansion draft with Las Vegas.

A writer from The Athletic from Vancouver wrote about Quinn Hughes and the Canucks. Same scenario as Kravstov.

Kravstov would still need 7 years accrued or 27 to become a Group III. He would arbitration eligible sooner. Group II sooner.

Gorton is not very concerned about the Rangers going players becoming free agents one year too early. He could have waited a few weeks to bring back Andersson and not have him get an accrued service year. Being on the NHL roster for 40 games. He said he is not concerned about that because the Rangers will have identified their core players way before then. Brooks spoke to Gorton about it. Last Tuesday’s Post. Chytil being benched article.

The Rangers get no slide if Kravstov plays this season with him turning 20 in December but it doesn’t not count towards expansion if he plays less than 11 games as a 19 year old. It won’t count as an accrued season towards group III.

The Duclair situation from a few years ago. The Rangers signed him in January 2014. They got one slide instead of two. The clock on Duclair’s contract started but his contract would not have count against the 50 SPC limit because he was 19 playing in junior. He made the Rangers that season anyway.

The CBA is quirky.

The Rangers could have Kravstov skate with the Rangers in practice and play in the AHL on a tryout contract.

Seidenberg skated with the Islanders all season in practice on a tryout and they signed him last week.
If it doesn't count towards expansion, I'm all in on Kravtsov playing this season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If the waiver rules apply, this is it. Kravtsov can play 10 games, be exempt but the ELC counts

upload_2019-3-4_19-31-29.png

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If it doesn't count towards expansion, I'm all in on Kravtsov playing this season.

It could end up being a blessing in disguise to have him burn a year of his ELC (provided there are no expansion draft ramifications). If we end up signing him long term after his ELC is up, the AAV might end up being lower due to him signing it a year earlier.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sorry to interrupt but i don't think it's true. On the September 15 this year Kravtsov is still 19 years old.'
This is from our board credit to @Viqsi
expansiondraftqualifier-png.194795

Players that turn 20 between Sept 16 and Dec 31 are considered 20 for the whole calendar year. It's not your age on Sept 15 that matters.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Players that turn 20 between Sept 16 and Dec 31 are considered 20 for the whole calendar year. It's not your age on Sept 15 that matters.
That's the thing I'm trying to verify. That seems to be the case for waiver exemption, but not necessarily for salary arbitration or RFA status, and it's unclear which of these rulesets is being borrowed from for the expansion draft.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That's the thing I'm trying to verify. That seems to be the case for waiver exemption, but not necessarily for salary arbitration or RFA status, and it's unclear which of these rulesets is being borrowed from for the expansion draft.

It is that way (20 only if your bday falls between those dates) for arbitration and RFA status. For waivers, it's about the age the player turns in the calendar year. Kravtsov turns 20 in December of this calendar year, therefore he is 20 for the purpose of waivers.

Or, really, more specifically... Kravtsov was considered to be 19 at the 2018 Entry Draft, because he turned 19 after September 15th. And because he was 19 last year, he's 20 this year.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

This tweet from last year about Mittelstadt would suggest Kravtsov can play 10 games according to the waiver ruling

But I don't think that's correct for the waivers ruling either. There's a major section of the waiver ruling that people are leaving out.

..."age 19" means a player reaching his nineteenth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 20" means a player reaching his twentieth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft

Wouldn't that mean Kravtsov was 19 in 2018 and, therefore wouldn't that mean he is 20 in 2019? I could be wrong here.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Wouldn't that mean Kravtsov was 19 in 2018 and, therefore wouldn't that mean he is 20 in 2019? I could be wrong here.

That's only to determine age for the draft, and determine how long the exclusive rights last for EU players.

18: 4 years
19: 3 years
20: 2 years
21: 1 year

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
But I don't think that's correct for the waivers ruling either. There's a major section of the waiver ruling that people are leaving out.

No one seems to be disputing what the waiver rules are. There only seems to be confusion if that is the standard used for expansion.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Whatever the Rangers do, I'm sure they will find out first from the league exactly what the ramifications are. If they don't and they screw up, bad on them. Obviously the safest route is to just sign him for next year and have him stay in Russia for now, or sign a PTO with Hartford.

Reactions: Irishguy42

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I’m just gonna say that i trust Bob McKenzie and assume he did his research before tweeting that about Mittelstadt and he definitely has better sources then us :)

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

But would that make a difference for expansion draft considerations? Or just ELC/RFA ramifications?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Ah, Sorry. I read the same in article 8.10 which is about the Entry draft

I really think that, no matter how you look at it, Kravtsov is considered 20 for this year. He's considered 20 for waiver eligibility. He's considered 20 for arbitration. He's considered 20 for RFA status.

There are 2 options here. One is waiver status, the relevant section of which says that a 20 year old needs only play 1 game to accrue a year. The next is arbitration and RFA status, which says a 20 year old needs to play 10 or more games in any league under the terms of an SPC (so that would include Hartford) to accrue a year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Quite frankly I'm not looking forward to the rest of the league being forced to supplement another franchise and hand them a good team

It's better than the previous expansion drafts where the new teams end up with some AHL guys and they need 10 f***ing years to build a team from scratch.

The teams agreed to this. FYI: Vegas is not involved in the Seattle expansion draft and therefore do not get a share from the 500m entrance fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->