Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I know counting stats aren't the end-all be-all, but how did Denisenko with 29 P in 43 GP for Loko in the MHL go 15th overall and Kovalenko with 43 P in 46 GP for the same team in the same league go 171th overall? The difference in size is negligible and they both play on the wing.

Kovalenko has nailed down a regular spot in the KHL this year while Denisenko has bounced between the KHL/VHL/MHL.

Denisenko is way flashier, which can probably fool even pro scouts. On the other hand, they all are still very young. Datsyuk didn't unleash his magic untill he was 25/26.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
"Despite his fantastic production for his age on a mediocre Traktor team, check back with me after the WJC!"

So stupid.

WJC, for me, is becoming way overemphasized. It's like Traverse on a grand scale.

See, I think the WJC is a great way to evaluate talent. I’ve seen plenty of guys be rated exceptionally high as prospects, with the stats to back it up, and show they don’t have what it takes during crunch time in the WJC. Those players also tend to underperform as pros.

But to put that much weight into the WJC where it’s going to completely change your ranking of a prospect is ridiculous. Especially given that said person allegedly does this for a living.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Denisenko is way flashier, which can probably fool even pro scouts. On the other hand, they all are still very young. Datsyuk didn't unleash his magic untill he was 25/26.

I wouldn't hold guys like Datsyuk up as any kind of "well sometimes it works out later" since it usually does not, when it comes to forwards at least, and guys like him are a super rare case. You shouldn't hold up the 1 in a million chance as "look it sometimes happens!"

"Despite his fantastic production for his age on a mediocre Traktor team, check back with me after the WJC!"

So stupid.

WJC, for me, is becoming way overemphasized. It's like Traverse on a grand scale.

Agreed, it's kind of weird. I think people talked about this in some other thread awhile back but for a long time the WJC seemed like the one place where people could get a better look at prospects and a higher level of competition compared to what a lot of junior players were seeing game in and game out and it seems to really favor those junior players and downplay the guys who play in pro leagues.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The WJCs is a great opportunity to see which young kids can step up under a lot of pressue in big games with everyone watching. Love it.

This could be quite the comming out party for Miller and/or Kravstov for the hockey community to see.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'd almost rather him not go. With him playing as well as he has against men, I'd rather see him continue to play in the KHL than a tournament against 20 and unders. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me. If he needed a confidence booster, I could see that, but not with how he's playing now.

Outside of NHL representing a nation in an international tournament always trumps team's or individual considerations. Once selected not going was not a realistic option for Kravtsov.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'd almost rather him not go. With him playing as well as he has against men, I'd rather see him continue to play in the KHL than a tournament against 20 and unders. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me. If he needed a confidence booster, I could see that, but not with how he's playing now.
It's a great opportunity for him to play in huge games against the top competition at his age level, it makes no sense to not want to see him there.

It's not like we are talking about a player who has already made the NHL (Chytil).

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Yea the WJC is a better tell on a prospects development regarding the pro game compared to college and juniors, but Kravtsov is already excelling as a pro in a very high quality league. I don’t need further evidence he can hack it as a pro. In fact the WJC should be a nice change of pace for him to play against an exclusively younger crowd to try out his new ‘savvy vet’ fakes/moves he’s picked up in the top men’s pro league outside the NHL.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Don't worry Pronman, Michael St. Croix is going to surpass Kreider and JT Miller any day now.
Yea Pronman is a clown.

My favorite is when he criticized the Rangers going into last season, stating our farm system was depleted basically. My apologies Corey, we were busy going for the cup in 2014 and 2015, adding to the rosters we had by trading draft picks and prospects. We should have just traded everyone away and not competed so that we could have a more promising farm system.

As said on MLB network inside pitch, prospects are cool, parades are better

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Yea Pronman is a clown.

My favorite is when he criticized the Rangers going into last season, stating our farm system was depleted basically. My apologies Corey, we were busy going for the cup in 2014 and 2015, adding to the rosters we had by trading draft picks and prospects. We should have just traded everyone away and not competed so that we could have a more promising farm system.

As said on MLB network inside pitch, prospects are cool, parades are better
Hey, why try and go for a Cup (the actual point of all of this) while in your contending window when you can instead be the Hurricanes? Miss the playoffs every year but at least have a good farm system!

Some of the prospect guys seem to forget the whole point of all of this.

This Kravtsov take by him is something else though. Kid is the best player on his team as an 18 year old, putting up excellent numbers, in the second best pro league in the world and this clown says he needs to see him in a 5 game sample size vs younger kids to see if he changes his mind on him? Awful. Pretty telling about Pronman's blind spots (most prospect guys have it, but CP's has always been really bad) he has "his guys" he loves and that's it.

Reactions: RGY

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
By the way what makes Necas a better prospect than Chytil on Dec 10th 2018. Necas is right now producing in the AHL at the clip Chytil did a year ago at barely 18. Chytil is younger a better skater bigger stronger just as skilled. dumb analysis not to include him in those conversations.

Reactions: RGY

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
With how our 2018 draft is looking, I am feeling so much more comfortable for our future. I didn't feel that way on draft night, or after the draft in general. As others have put it, the powers that be in the NYR office thought they were smarter than many other teams. While they have made their share of mistakes, they also have had their share of successes.

When we were up at #9 and Wahlstrom & Dobson were still on the board, I was ecstatic. I thought to myself "well, even if we don't take Wahlstrom, and we should, getting a kid like Dobson would be still be a coup". Then it came... "with the 9th pick in the 2018 NHL entry draft, the Rangers select...", I thought for sure the next words were going to be "from the US National Development Program"... but they weren't. Instead, I heard Traktor. I was stunned. Why for once couldn't we make the obvious move? The only thing that is truly obvious is the Islanders somehow Islandering and getting Wahstrom at 10, only for him to have an ABYSMAL start to the year. I could not have been more wrong about VK.

After that was the K'Andre Miller pick. While I loved that pick and was fine with the price paid, others were not. Some people went as far as to call him a mid 2nd round or later talent.

Some of those same people mocked the Lundkvist pick. Wasn't he just selected to the U-20 team preliminary roster? Same as Ragnarsson?

Speaking of Ragnarsson and later round picks, Keane at 88 also looks like a great pick.

The Rangers went against the grain on a few picks and so far they are paying off.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
With how our 2018 draft is looking, I am feeling so much more comfortable for our future. I didn't feel that way on draft night, or after the draft in general. As others have put it, the powers that be in the NYR office thought they were smarter than many other teams. While they have made their share of mistakes, they also have had their share of successes.

When we were up at #9 and Wahlstrom & Dobson were still on the board, I was ecstatic. I thought to myself "well, even if we don't take Wahlstrom, and we should, getting a kid like Dobson would be still be a coup". Then it came... "with the 9th pick in the 2018 NHL entry draft, the Rangers select...", I thought for sure the next words were going to be "from the US National Development Program"... but they weren't. Instead, I heard Traktor. I was stunned. Why for once couldn't we make the obvious move? The only thing that is truly obvious is the Islanders somehow Islandering and getting Wahstrom at 10, only for him to have an ABYSMAL start to the year. I could not have been more wrong about VK.

After that was the K'Andre Miller pick. While I loved that pick and was fine with the price paid, others were not. Some people went as far as to call him a mid 2nd round or later talent.

Some of those same people mocked the Lundkvist pick. Wasn't he just selected to the U-20 team preliminary roster? Same as Ragnarsson?

Speaking of Ragnarsson and later round picks, Keane at 88 also looks like a great pick.

The Rangers went against the grain on a few picks and so far they are paying off.

You are basically describing every Rangers fan I spoke to that weekend.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
By the way what makes Necas a better prospect than Chytil on Dec 10th 2018. Necas is right now producing in the AHL at the clip Chytil did a year ago at barely 18. Chytil is younger a better skater bigger stronger just as skilled. dumb analysis not to include him in those conversations.

Chytil is a Rangers prospect so it's like 20 positions down handicap.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I really liked Dobson best of all the guys still around at 9. To me Wahlstrom and Kravtsov were next and kind of a toss up. I'm happy now that the Rangers took Kravtsov even if I still think Dobson is going to still turn into a hell of a d-man but I also think Miller will too.....and I was fine with Miller too who looks to me like he could turn out like Seth Jones or Charlie McAvoy.

On Nils Lundkvist--I was okay at where we picked him but to me there was about 15-20 guys we could have taken there that I would have been okay with. Nils is playing in a highly competitive league and he's got a very very good chance at playing at the WJC's for what is usually a very strong Swedish team. I do think he's 1 or even 2 years farther out than Kravtsov or Miller though. One of the great things about those two is they're already there as far as size, strength and skating. Lundkvist IMO is going to need to fill out and get stronger.

Going further I think the Ragnarsson pick was very good and Keane looks great to me too but he's another that needs to get a little bigger and stronger. There's a possibility he could compete for a Rangers job next year but he'll probably need another year or so of development. I kind of expect Keane to become a legit NHL player. The Gross pick looks like a good sleeper too. Not that high on Pajuniemi or Hughes yet and Lindbom's been injured all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad