Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Has played roughly 12.5 minutes and 3 SOG so far.

Traktor losing 1-2 in the beginning of the 3rd period.

Mah boy Nick Bailen with 6 SOG :yo:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I use the same blade pattern, but it's a True A6.0 TC3 blade, 105 flex. I'm a bigger guy, so the 75 flex is a bit whippy for me.
When I can find it in a long 55 flex I get that. I love that flex. The whippy action is great, really effs with goalies...as you can really play with how much power you load to change how they are seeing your release point. I don't shoot hard enough to beat goalies from distance but in the slot and stuff it really is a ton of fun not just picking your shot location but also picking how to let the puck go.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
On a side note when I was pushing 260 when I first started playing hockey I used a 110 flex...I'm down to 178 now so the 55 to 75 range is great for me.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Traktor lost 1:3.

Kravtsov is clearly the talent to make whatever line he's on a top-6 on the team. Unfortunately, Traktor doesn't have enough talent to play with Kravtsov. They brought in Enlund from Sibir but I think it was to play with Paul Szczechura on the first line, i.e. directly related to another non-Russian Gynge going on injured reserve for an extended time (since there's a limit on the number of non-Russian players a KHL team can dress). Further, outside of Nick Bailen their D is even in worse shape. Watching Kravtsov so many of his shifts die in neutral zone because either D or his linemates can't get the puck through the neutral zone.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Durability has to be account for, and I would like to have more consistency in Kravtsov than we would get with a Neal type of player.
No it doesn't. They're comparing a player to another player's style. It has nothing to do with having injuries like Neal. Also, we drafted him at 9. If you're going to be disappointed and are looking for more of 80 points during the season, you may as well prepare yourself for the disappointment now. While it might happen, there's a pretty big chance it doesn't

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'm using an intermediate stick.... Crosby curve.... killing it in midgets....

tenor.gif

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Can someone explain to me what flex 75 P28 means? Because I never played hockey and until 2 years ago, I never even owned a hockey stick
The flex number is how many lbs of force it takes to flex the stick 1 inch, they typically suggest using a stick half your body weight. Some players like Ovechkin use much lower flex than that rule though, I believe his is in the 80’s when he weighs 230lbs. A lot of snipers prefer whippier sticks as it generates a lot more power. And P28 is the pattern of the curve, different curves are either a toe or heel, open or closed, etc P28 is a toe curve.

Kravtsov has a weird shot though I’m surprised he uses such a whippy stick, because I never really see him load up and flex it. It looks almost completely stiff when he shoots. You get to see him more than I do, have you seen him flex his stick much when shooting? I worry he can’t take a very powerful shot especially slapshots. My only concern in taking him over Wahlstrom when we need a sniper

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Can someone explain to me what flex 75 P28 means? Because I never played hockey and until 2 years ago, I never even owned a hockey stick

It's a pretty soft flex, meaning that the puck could fly off the stick higher and give more comfort when making moves/deking. IMO, a lower flex gives height to a shot, but not so much power, whereas a stick in the 90 range has more power, but gives less height. It also varies on arm strength and grip, too. Someone could have a strong forearm and bicep/tricep, but still use a lighter flex. That'll help the power of the shot, which is why someone like Kane or Crosby can roof it at high speeds. But someone like a defenseman uses a higher flex so that slap shots can have a more dominant stretch of the puck.

This is also off the top of my mind so not the most "educated" opinion. I'm sure someone else can give a better insight, but I think it has more to do upper body strength than anything.

Edit: @EdJovanovski pretty much nailed it.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The flex number is how many lbs of force it takes to flex the stick 1 inch, they typically suggest using a stick half your body weight. Some players like Ovechkin use much lower flex than that rule though, I believe his is in the 80’s when he weighs 230lbs. A lot of snipers prefer whippier sticks as it generates a lot more power. And P28 is the pattern of the curve, different curves are either a toe or heel, open or closed, etc P28 is a toe curve.

Kravtsov has a weird shot though I’m surprised he uses such a whippy stick, because I never really see him load up and flex it. It looks almost completely stiff when he shoots. You get to see him more than I do, have you seen him flex his stick much when shooting? I worry he can’t take a very powerful shot especially slapshots. My only concern in taking him over Wahlstrom when we need a sniper

Thanks for the explanation. Regarding Kravtsov... He isn't a pure sniper so that's not somethiing I want to use to compare Kravtsov to others. When he shoots, he rarely uses a slapshot. His signature move is letting the puck sit on his stick for a fraction of a second before wristing it with precision.

In a way, this reminds me of Duncan Keith. I know this sounds weird, but let me explain: Keith has a lethal slapshot but unlike normal slapshots, Keith doesn't wind up his stick all the way. It's some sort of half-slapper. Kravtsov has a similar technique for his wristshots.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
It's a pretty soft flex, meaning that the puck could fly off the stick higher and give more comfort when making moves/deking. IMO, a lower flex gives height to a shot, but not so much power, whereas a stick in the 90 range has more power, but gives less height. It also varies on arm strength and grip, too. Someone could have a strong forearm and bicep/tricep, but still use a lighter flex. That'll help the power of the shot, which is why someone like Kane or Crosby can roof it at high speeds. But someone like a defenseman uses a higher flex so that slap shots can have a more dominant stretch of the puck.

This is also off the top of my mind so not the most "educated" opinion. I'm sure someone else can give a better insight, but I think it has more to do upper body strength than anything.

Edit: @EdJovanovski pretty much nailed it.
I think the curve matters much more than flex in terms of how high a shot will go

Reactions: Joey Bones

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
It's not exactly that lower flex gives less power. Higher flew does give less power, but only if you can actually bend it. If you take a lot of quick wrist shots you want lower flex because it's easier to get power into the shot without loading up and putting all your weight through the stick. A whippier stick will be better for that, but too low flex and you won't be able to take effective slapshots.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It's not exactly that lower flex gives less power. Higher flew does give less power, but only if you can actually bend it. If you take a lot of quick wrist shots you want lower flex because it's easier to get power into the shot without loading up and putting all your weight through the stick. A whippier stick will be better for that, but too low flex and you won't be able to take effective slapshots.
The whippy Ness of the stick also makes accuracy, particularly on anything that's not a writer a lot harder to judge.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm just 180 and used a 100 flex for years. I tried a 80 flex and it was so whippy that i thought i was going to break my stick all the time. Went back to the 100. Find it harder to stick handle with a whippy stick too compared to a stiffer stick.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Trying to remember which Ranger player has issues breaking his stick repeatedly a few years back??

Was it Gaborik? Jagr? I can’t remember....

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Jags would break it twice per PP it seemed trying to line up the one timer from the blue line/slot, and then would score on the 3rd attempt when the stick managed to stay in one piece. Rinse, repeat, and win MVP....oh wait a sec...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
3 goals, 3 assists in 15 games. For comparison, in their D+1 season:

Tarasenko: 3 goals, 3 assists in 15 games
Kuznetsov: 4 goals, 3 assists in 15 games
Kucherov: 1 goal, 3 assists in 15 games
Panarin: 1 goal, 3 assists in 15 games
Buchnevich: 3 goals, 1 assist in 15 games

Oh, and he leads all u20 players in both goals and points in the KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad