Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #28 - Nils Lundkvist (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I Think Lundkvist is a better player then Sellgren so hopefully he earns the spot next to Gustafsson at some point, though they might feel like Lundkvist is a bit too similar in style to Gustafsson to pair them together.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Where did I say otherwise?

You didn't. It's just an important piece of the puzzle that takes those generally poor numbers and makes them acceptable.

Although, I will admit that I read your post as intending to detract from Lundkvist: but I think that is because I know that you never liked the pick; not because of the actual post.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You didn't. It's just an important piece of the puzzle that takes those generally poor numbers and makes them acceptable.

Although, I will admit that I read your post as intending to detract from Lundkvist: but I think that is because I know that you never liked the pick; not because of the actual post.

Wasn't meant that way, at all. I'm well aware of what league he plays in. I went to the league website to find these stats.

Picked too high for my picking, but he's a decent player. I have the same opinion about Andersson. I'm not claiming banish him to the ECHL because I preferred others players at the draft slot.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

A mere 1 second short of full 14 minutes in the first game of season in SHL as 18-year old? I’m going to take it any day and there’s a whole season ahead to earn more minutes and more important assignments. Just look where Andersson started last season with Frölunda and where he was playing before he left for WJC.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd hold onto him. I know Stralman is an extremely lazy comparison and I hate comparing players of the same nationality, so maybe MEV in SJ? Just someone who is very good at everything, not a monster, will have above average point production, but not someone who will ever be an All Star. A very very good second pairing DMan.

A guy like Henrik Tallinder comes to mind as well. Smooth skater who could move the puck out of his own zone effectively. Quietly a very good top-4 defenseman for a long time. Not a ton of points but wasn’t a black hole offensively.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Alright, Kravtsov, Shesterkin, Andersson, Chytil, Howden, Miller and others have all gotten their love. Now it’s time to revisit Lundkvist.

This is another kid who is only starting to tap into his potential and is several years out.

Last year I saw a player who showed glimpses of being a guy who can move the puck and potentially join the play even more than he does.

I got the sense that the Defensive side of things was typically a priority last season, but when Lundkvist has the opportunity to get involved offensively, he looked promising.

He’s still learning to pick his spots offensively, but there’s some potential there once he gets to a point where he’s more mature and experienced.

In his own zone, I want to see him get stronger and he’s going to have to remember to be shifty, because he’s not going to overpower opposing players. His game will be one of movement and keeping things flowing.

He doesn’t tickle the imagination quite like Kravtsov or Miller, but this is a kid who has solid top 4 upside, and a fun under the radar guy who rounds out a defense.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Alright, Kravtsov, Shesterkin, Andersson, Chytil, Howden, Miller and others have all gotten their love. Now it’s time to revisit Lundkvist.

This is another kid who is only starting to tap into his potential and is several years out.

Last year I saw a player who showed glimpses of being a guy who can move the puck and potentially join the play even more than he does.

I got the sense that the Defensive side of things was typically a priority last season, but when Lundkvist has the opportunity to get involved offensively, he looked promising.

He’s still learning to pick his spots offensively, but there’s some potential there once he gets to a point where he’s more mature and experienced.

In his own zone, I want to see him get stronger and he’s going to have to remember to be shifty, because he’s not going to overpower opposing players. His game will be one of movement and keeping things flowing.

He doesn’t tickle the imagination quite like Kravtsov or Miller, but this is a kid who has solid top 4 upside, and a fun under the radar guy who rounds out a defense.

I think the Rangers are looking for an Olli Maatta type of player which is projectable for Lundkvist but he needs to fill out and get stronger and a lot of other things that 18 year old prospects need to do. The guy is not pure offense offense--he is a two way guy who has a clue how to play defensively. IMO K'Andre has the potential to tap into becoming a two way guys with size, speed and mobility but right now he strikes me as a defense first guy more than a two way guy. Basically the job of the Wisconsin U. coaches is to bring that untapped offensive game while improving his defensive game. Of the two I like K'Andre's chances better at least right now but hopefully the both turn out. If they do I think we're going to end up with a monster 2018 draft.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Hopefully he's a better skater than Maatta though because Olli is sloooowwww

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Having a bit of a rough start to the season, hopefully he turns it around soon.

"He's not even taking regular shifts" is very misleading though, not surprising coming from PB.

Nils Lundkvist has been dressed in every game and is averaging 12:45 TOI/GP, lower then we want but definitely takingregular shifts.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Having a bit of a rough start to the season, hopefully he turns it around soon.

"He's not even taking regular shifts" is very misleading though, not surprising coming from PB.

Nils Lundkvist has been dressed in every game and is averaging 12:45 TOI/GP, lower then we want but definitely takingregular shifts.

You know who wasn't taking regular shifts this season? Rykov.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think the Rangers are looking for an Olli Maatta type of player which is projectable for Lundkvist but he needs to fill out and get stronger and a lot of other things that 18 year old prospects need to do. The guy is not pure offense offense--he is a two way guy who has a clue how to play defensively. IMO K'Andre has the potential to tap into becoming a two way guys with size, speed and mobility but right now he strikes me as a defense first guy more than a two way guy. Basically the job of the Wisconsin U. coaches is to bring that untapped offensive game while improving his defensive game. Of the two I like K'Andre's chances better at least right now but hopefully the both turn out. If they do I think we're going to end up with a monster 2018 draft.

If Lundkvist pans out, he probably projects as an under-the-radar type. There's not necessarily one attribute that jumps out at you. He's not physically imposing, he's not necessarily a big numbers offensive defenseman, and he's not a guy who screams top pair defenseman.

But he's smart and he knows how to get the puck moving.

I also wouldn't underestimate Lundkvist's offensive upside. When he's had the chance to use it, he's done well.

Let's also keep in mind that this kid only turned 18 over the summer and won't turn 19 until after the season is over. He's one of our younger prospects.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If Lundkvist pans out, he probably projects as an under-the-radar type. There's not necessarily one attribute that jumps out at you. He's not physically imposing, he's not necessarily a big numbers offensive defenseman, and he's not a guy who screams top pair defenseman.

But he's smart and he knows how to get the puck moving.

I also wouldn't underestimate Lundkvist's offensive upside. When he's had the chance to use it, he's done well.

Let's also keep in mind that this kid only turned 18 over the summer and won't turn 19 until after the season is over. He's one of our younger prospects.

Watching a little bit of both last spring and over the summer I feel like Miller's and Lundkvist's styles complement each out. They are on a similar timeline, though Nils might become NA professional a bit sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->