Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #22 - K'Andre Miller (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It took all of 4 games for Miller to surpass Skjei's freshman season production
My big concern with him going to Wisconsin was that they were going to make him be a offense/defense only for his time there like they’ve done with other guys in the past. But they’re just letting him do everything, which is great that he’s already shown them he can do it as a freshman and just great for his development in general

Reactions: Joey Bones

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Here are the D+1 outputs for the best defensemen to come out of the NCAA in recent history:

Werenski: 36 points in 36 games
Jack Johnson: 32 points in 36 games
Justin Faulk: 33 points in 39 games
Trouba: 29 points in 37 games
McAvoy: 26 points in 38 games
Gostisbehere: 22 points in 41 games

4 games is way too early to draw any conclusions about Miller and there have been a few high scoring D+1 defensemen in the NCAA who didn't become more than journeymen in the NHL (like Clendening, Wiercioch, or Chris Wideman, for example), but if Miller ends the season anywhere close to a PPG, it would put him in pretty some pretty good company.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
the offense is nice but has anyone watched that can comment on how he's looked in his own end? For a guy that just switch to d in the last few years, i'd think that will be a bigger key to his development

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
the offense is nice but has anyone watched that can comment on how he's looked in his own end? For a guy that just switch to d in the last few years, i'd think that will be a bigger key to his development

I can't comment on the games from this weekend but he allowed the fewest amount of shot attempts against of all Badger players over both games last weekend against BC (9 overall at ES.)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Here are the D+1 outputs for the best defensemen to come out of the NCAA in recent history:

Werenski: 36 points in 36 games
Jack Johnson: 32 points in 36 games
Justin Faulk: 33 points in 39 games
Trouba: 29 points in 37 games
McAvoy: 26 points in 38 games
Gostisbehere: 22 points in 41 games

4 games is way too early to draw any conclusions about Miller and there have been a few high scoring D+1 defensemen in the NCAA who didn't become more than journeymen in the NHL (like Clendening, Wiercioch, or Chris Wideman, for example), but if Miller ends the season anywhere close to a PPG, it would put him in pretty some pretty good company.

I mentioned the Trouba numbers earlier, if K'Andre is in the range, and is physically mature... He might push for a spot next year.

Reactions: egelband

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think overall he’s been good defensively. His big defensive strengths that I’ve seen are breaking up plays at the blue line, battling along the boards (he’s waaay stronger than like 90% of the players he’s had to battle with, he got a roughing penalty Friday for essentially bouncing someone off the boards like they were a basketball), and clearing the front of the net. I haven’t seen any misreads like the ones he’s prone to in the offensive zone when playing defense, but the big weakness I’ve seen is that when he’s in a passing lane he can let passes get through him clean

Reactions: Leetch3

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I know it's early, but...

K'Andre Miller leads all NCAA D-men (u19) in both goals and assists and is 4th in points among all D-men u21 as an 18-year old.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I see no reason not to let him cook, he can demolish this year, then hopefully show consistency next year. And then claim a spot in 2020. With the way Keane is playing he will be a ranger that year too.

Reactions: Rangers743

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I see no reason not to let him cook, he can demolish this year, then hopefully show consistency next year. And then claim a spot in 2020. With the way Keane is playing he will be a ranger that year too.

That's gonna be the big transition year on the backend. Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith, and Lundqvist are all on the last year of their deals in 2020-2021.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Would be my preferred course of action unless he completely demolishes the NCAA this year.

If you dominate, you should move on. The AHL is an option for him next year if he crushes the NCAA and isn't completely NHL ready.

I think Keane makes it out of camp. Not only is he a beast, the coaches love him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That's gonna be the big transition year on the backend. Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith, and Lundqvist are all on the last year of their deals in 2020-2021.

I feel like 2021 is a key benchmark for the organization.

You have a lot of contracts either coming off the books, or gone by that point.

You have guys like Shesterkin, Howden, Andersson , Hejek and Chytil theoretically having established themselves and just starting to enter the start of their prime years. You have guys like Miller, Kravtsov, and Lundkvist either coming into their own or potentially knocking on the door to the big club.

You should have a pretty good idea of what you have in talents like Lindgren, Keane, Rykov, and others.

Hell, even the crop of players we draft in the 2019 draft could theoretically be on the roster or getting ready to turn pro that season.

That's not say that everything is on hold until we get to that point, but I feel like that's a more reasonable time frame for things to start resembling what the front office hopes, for the team to be looking at potential "over the hump" deals, and for expectations to be reasonably high.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I feel like 2021 is a key benchmark for the organization.

You have a lot of contracts either coming off the books, or gone by that point.

You have guys like Shesterkin, Howden, Andersson , Hejek and Chytil theoretically having established themselves and just starting to enter the start of their prime years. You have guys like Miller, Kravtsov, and Lundkvist either coming into their own or potentially knocking on the door to the big club.

You should have a pretty good idea of what you have in talents like Lindgren, Keane, Rykov, and others.

Hell, even the crop of players we draft in the 2019 draft could theoretically be on the roster or getting ready to turn pro that season.

That's not say that everything is on hold until we get to that point, but I feel like that's a more reasonable time frame for things to start resembling what the front office hopes, for the team to be looking at potential "over the hump" deals, and for expectations to be reasonably high.
Plus well have Hughes and Lafreniere by the as well.

Reactions: lucky13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad