Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I actually wanted Paul Bittner at #36. So I can't really say anything...but I remember some Carlo advocates here.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
You miss the playoffs you have a chance? No?

I believe this to be correct, no playoffs you’re in the lottery albeit with terrible odds.

Regardless I think they go D heavy in this draft. Sure BPA makes sense too but there’s a glaring need at D organizationally.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I believe this to be correct, no playoffs you’re in the lottery albeit with terrible odds.

Regardless I think they go D heavy in this draft. Sure BPA makes sense too but there’s a glaring need at D organizationally.
I'm not sure there is a real organizational need?

Zaitsev LD, Rykov LD, Walsh RD, Chainey LD, Hellickson LD, Davies LD, White LD, Jacobs RD...

Timeline is issue for some, talent might be an issue for most...but there is a pipeline there. Then add to the fact that Butcher is a rookie, Santini is practically a rookie, Severson and Mueller are very young...
I'm not sure defense is anymore of an organizational need than say RW or even goaltending.

Top end Defense is needed, but you can really say that about every position I think.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah we really need a good D, but depending on where we end up who knows. If someone like Brady Tkachuk was available if we were drafting higher, I would think loooooong and hard about that.
I think these things are balanced. Of coarse if a much better fwd is on the board you go there, but often the distinction is not so clear, and thus BDA.

But then you consider trading up for a d-man you really like, or trading down if you are not so hot on a specific fwd.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Zaitsev LD, Rykov LD, Walsh RD, Chainey LD, Hellickson LD, Davies LD, White LD, Jacobs RD...

Timeline is issue for some, talent might issue for most...but there is a pipeline there. Then add to the fact that Butcher is a rookie, Santini is practically a rookie, Severson and Mueller are very young...
I'm not sure defense is anymore of an organizational need than say RW or even goaltending!

Top end Defense is needed, but you can really say that about every position I think.
Ya I agree, we have #'s on D, what we need is top end talent. That can be had in the 20's, but I don't think we are so desperate for D that you reach.

Reactions: Darkauron

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Ya I agree, we have #'s on D, what we need is top end talent. That can be had in the 20's, but I don't think we are so desperate for D that you reach.

Yeah exactly. Who knows how the depth chart will look in a few years, give me that skilled guy more than a positional need every day. Those kinds of kids are what make a team.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Do we know how good Rykov is? I mean I only say him last year at the WJC and he looked fantastic. And I see he's put up 13 points in 47 games in the KHL...but I have no idea what that means or how he's progressed.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Do we know how good Rykov is? I mean I only say him last year at the WJC and he looked fantastic. And I see he's put up 13 points in 47 games in the KHL...but I have no idea what that means or how he's progressed.

He did look really great last yeah in the WJCs. He is progression pretty well in the KHL and his moving up the ranks on the team which is the best in the KHL. I also remember some big TSN names and other guys saying he looks really amazing as well a bit back.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Timeline is issue for some, talent might be an issue for most...but there is a pipeline there. Then add to the fact that Butcher is a rookie, Santini is practically a rookie, Severson and Mueller are very young...
I'm not sure defense is anymore of an organizational need than say RW or even goaltending.

All valid points, when you look at it that way I guess it’s just a matter of time if any of them hit. Ideally we aren’t in the running for the lottery. I guess I just think that we’d need a few more defenseman this year than in the previous years.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
i'd like to draft ryan mcleod, but i don't think that will make sense given where we're likely drafting and where he's projected to go

He won't be BPA at any of our selections, so it's very unlikely we take him. I also don't see him as a player you trade up for - not enough upside.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He did look really great last yeah in the WJCs. He is progression pretty well in the KHL and his moving up the ranks on the team which is the best in the KHL. I also remember some big TSN names and other guys saying he looks really amazing as well a bit back.
Very young for the KHL, and 3rd on team amongst d-men in scoring, even though he supposedly plays limited minutes.

Combine that with the WJC and I think there is legit reason to be pretty excited.

I'd say there is potential for a pretty high ceiling, but overall like most prospects, let alone those in Russia who very few get to see, you just don't know how they will progress/translate.

Reactions: Darkauron

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Also whatever happened to that wonder child from like Norway or something? Emilio pettersen? He’d be a fun pick. Do it Ray

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
What is the look on Minn-Duluth D Scott Perunovich? Was at WJC and Anderson's teammate. Has a pretty good stat line for a defenseman. I haven't seen a mock with him in the top 31, but it always seems American defenseman with WJC experience always end up doing well down the line.

edit: Just realized he is an overager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->