Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Last night, Frölunda played the French champion Gap in the CHL (euro cup).
I made the trip to watch Rasmus Dahlin!

And I was soooo disapppointed. He was the worst d-man of his team by far.
In the 1st period, he lost the puck in his circle to give away a scoring chance. Later, he fumbled the puck in the neutral zone and Gap scored.
I thought it was just a rough start and, indeed, he scored in the 2nd period, taking his own rebound to score on a wraparound.
But it was the lone good thing of the game. After that, he was buried on a counter attack, then took a useless penalty after being caught flat-footed.
In the 3rd, another miscue at the offensive blue line, falling after whiffing a pass, to give Gap another counter-attack.

Overall a poor defensive performance. Just a game though...

(Lias Andersson, the Rangers 1st pick in june, was very good, scoring the GWG and an assist).

Reactions: My3Sons

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Last night, Frölunda played the French champion Gap in the CHL (euro cup).
I made the trip to watch Rasmus Dahlin!

And I was soooo disapppointed. He was the worst d-man of his team by far.
In the 1st period, he lost the puck in his circle to give away a scoring chance. Later, he fumbled the puck in the neutral zone and Gap scored.
I thought it was just a rough start and, indeed, he scored in the 2nd period, taking his own rebound to score on a wraparound.
But it was the lone good thing of the game. After that, he was buried on a counter attack, then took a useless penalty after being caught flat-footed.
In the 3rd, another miscue at the offensive blue line, falling after whiffing a pass, to give Gap another counter-attack.

Overall a poor defensive performance. Just a game though...

(Lias Andersson, the Rangers 1st pick in june, was very good, scoring the GWG and an assist).
Hopefully he drops to us at 31

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
So I've seen people comparing us to the leafs and how we could potentially do what they did last season in sneaking into the playoffs (only to fall out in the 1st round). How great would it be if Dahlin falls and we snag him exactly how the leafs got liljegren :laugh: completely different situations between the 2 players but one can dream right?

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I really, really like the look of this draft, and not just for defensemen. There's a kid who is projected to go in the 2nd round that I think matches well with profiles of Devils prospects drafted under the new regime.

Jakub Lauko (EP: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=273830)

has a lot of speed, uses it well, is difficult to knock off balance/off the puck, and has exceptional skill. The biggest thing holding him back at this point is his consistency issues. He started out the season projected as a 1st round talent but has dropped off a little bit, due to said inconsistency. It could be because he's playing in the Czech men's league, but there's good potential there

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I really, really like the look of this draft, and not just for defensemen. There's a kid who is projected to go in the 2nd round that I think matches well with profiles of Devils prospects drafted under the new regime.

Jakub Lauko (EP: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=273830)

has a lot of speed, uses it well, is difficult to knock off balance/off the puck, and has exceptional skill. The biggest thing holding him back at this point is his consistency issues. He started out the season projected as a 1st round talent but has dropped off a little bit, due to said inconsistency. It could be because he's playing in the Czech men's league, but there's good potential there
Shero will scoop him up in the 4th.

devilos

Jun 18, 2012
Arlington, VA
Just peaked at mynhldraft to notice we are projected to pick up Jared McIsaac 23rd. What happened that he has plunged so much? Thought it was possible that we would be selecting him at the beginning of the year in the top 10....

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just peaked at mynhldraft to notice we are projected to pick up Jared McIsaac 23rd. What happened that he has plunged so much? Thought it was possible that we would be selecting him at the beginning of the year in the top 10....
Hasn't seen the uptick in production that one would expect. Currently being outscored by our 7th rounder from last year, who is only 6 months older.

And dropping from top 10 to early 20's is not completely terrible.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Can't say enough good things about Ty Smith...one of my favorite defensemen in the draft. Two-way ability, awesome skating, a rocket of a shot...the ability to play upwards of 24 minutes a night. He's got it all. As for McIsaac falling in the rankings a bit, it seems a bit odd...he's been under an almost Chychrun-like level of scrutiny because of his draft pedigree before this season. There are games where he looks like an "all tools/no toolbox" type player, and there are others where he completely dominates. I've been watching him for a bit while keeping an eye on Chainey and I really do like him. I would say he's the type of player that teams will regret passing on as soon as next season comes around.

Ryan Merkley is an interesting, albeit different, story. He has the highest offensive potential out of any defenseman in this draft, but has some boneheaded plays away from the puck, so is he worth the risk?He's got a very high ceiling, but he's got a lot of work to do.

Reactions: My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Ryan Merkley is an interesting, albeit different, story. He has the highest offensive potential out of any defenseman in this draft, but has some boneheaded plays away from the puck, so is he worth the risk?He's got a very high ceiling, but he's got a lot of work to do.

so...gelinas? or a higher upside than that?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Can't say enough good things about Ty Smith...one of my favorite defensemen in the draft. Two-way ability, awesome skating, a rocket of a shot...the ability to play upwards of 24 minutes a night. He's got it all. As for McIsaac falling in the rankings a bit, it seems a bit odd...he's been under an almost Chychrun-like level of scrutiny because of his draft pedigree before this season. There are games where he looks like an "all tools/no toolbox" type player, and there are others where he completely dominates. I've been watching him for a bit while keeping an eye on Chainey and I really do like him. I would say he's the type of player that teams will regret passing on as soon as next season comes around.

So how about NJ grabs Smith in the first and then whichever one of the others falls to the second?

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
First time in three years I have no clue what's going on in the draft. Much more fun watching the big club!

Seems a deep draft for defensemen, which means we could have a great player drop to us. Bode Wilde sounds good! Big, strong, good shot, good instincts. I'm going to go with him first round.

Reactions: MichaelJ

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i'd like to draft ryan mcleod, but i don't think that will make sense given where we're likely drafting and where he's projected to go

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
i'd like to draft ryan mcleod, but i don't think that will make sense given where we're likely drafting and where he's projected to go

From what I have seen he is anywhere from a mid first to even the 2nd round. Just like his brother, I think his shot is not very good at all and may fall in the draft. So he is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->