Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I'm really looking forward to the battle between Rasmus Dahlin and Adam Boqvist for top (Swedish) defenseman this draft. Right now Dahlin is the consensus top, but I really think Boqvist is going to shoot up the draft boards, despite already being very high up.

I already seen him at 3 and 4. Do you mean #1?

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
We all believe we're drafting a defensemen in June, however do you believe Shero passes up Tkachuk or the Russian if they're there when the Devils pick?

If we pick 2nd
We take whos left of Dahlin/Svech
If we pick 3rd
We take Svech/Dahlin if they are there, or go next best D

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If we pick 2nd
We take whos left of Dahlin/Svech
If we pick 3rd
We take Svech/Dahlin if they are there, or go next best D

There's so much talent in the top #60, I'd look to trade down a couple of spots from the 3rd overall pick (if Dahlin/Svech are otb) and look to add a extra 2nd.

If we can maximise our assets at the deadline and add more picks, we can really load up on our blueline. This is going to be a very solid draft regarding blueliners.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
7 Defensemen in the Top 11:

1) Rasmus Dahlin (SWE)
4) Adam Boqvist (SWE -Jesper's younger brother for anybody curious)
6) Quinn Hughes (USA)
8) Ty Smith (CAN) - this guy was extremely impressive during the Ivan Hlinka tournament
9) Ryan Merkley (CAN)
10) Bode Wilde (CAN)
11) Jared McIsaac (CAN)

On a side note, the Canadians put together one of the best defensive units I've ever seen at the Ivan Hlinka tournament this year. All of these players have #1 defenseman potential
When McIsaac is the 7th defenseman on the list, you know you've got a ton of quality.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I already seen him at 3 and 4. Do you mean #1?

Yes. It's not likely at this point, but the kid has the pure skillset to do so in my opinion

When McIsaac is the 7th defenseman on the list, you know you've got a ton of quality.

I can't wait to see McIsaac play this season.

I'm not sure where we'll end up picking, but for the sake of things, let's say around 7-10, but my two realistic favorites at this point would be Ryan Merkley and Ty Smith...two very different types of defensemen but both having #1 potential...Ty Smith being that two-way all-situational type d-man that can munch 30 minutes a night while Merkley has the slick offensive skills to wow

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You see that list and it is hard to argue that one more year of pain wouldn't do this franchise absolute wonders long term.

We would have quite the collection of young talent with very solid vets already in place.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If our young players continue on their current track where the # of promising fwd's far outweighs our d-men, I'm not taking a fwd with that top pick.

Either BDA, or trade.

This draft has too many good looking d-men for us not to take one with our top pick.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
This draft looks awesome. Deep in D but I'm already obsessed with Filip Zadina and Oliver Wahlstrom as big time wingers.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Adam Boqvist -- haven't seen a player who plays like him play for the Devils in a long time.

If our young players continue on their current track where the # of promising fwd's far outweighs our d-men, I'm not taking a fwd with that top pick.

Either BDA, or trade.

This draft has too many good looking d-men for us not to take one with our top pick.
why pigeonhole yourself like this? Even if the young forwards track well you should still stick to your list in the first round. Things change fast in the NHL

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I reeeeallllyyyy want boqvist, but I'd settle for Bode Wilde...that hockey name tho

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
The one thing that scares me about Boqvist is that a big part of his game is taking advantage of the big European ice to create offense. He won't have that space on North American ice. I'm unsure whether his offensive game will be able to translate.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The one thing that scares me about Boqvist is that a big part of his game is taking advantage of the big European ice to create offense. He won't have that space on North American ice. I'm unsure whether his offensive game will be able to translate.
Watching the highlights above he seems more then able to stick handle in traffic. He scored goals from the point on a ridiculous amount of wrist shots. Does that translate against NHL goalies.

And of coarse they didn't show a lick of actual defending. But offensively his skills were evident.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Adam Boqvist -- haven't seen a player who plays like him play for the Devils in a long time.

why pigeonhole yourself like this? Even if the young forwards track well you should still stick to your list in the first round. Things change fast in the NHL

things change, if you make them change. We were weak at fwd, then we drafted and traded for fwd's, now fwd's are stocked. Now we need to stock the D. and I don't mean we should make a bad pick just to get a d-man, but if there is a d-man we really want above us, then trade up, or if there is a d-man(or a group of d-men) we really like that looks to be below us, then trade down.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This season is a win-win. If we're unexpectedly good that's awesome. If we still suck and get a top 5 talent, also good. This looks like a great year to suck and get that one top end defensive talent we really need and then go from there.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Surprised not many people are talking about Zadina. Of course it depends on where the devils actually end up drafting but he's high on my list (over some of the defensemen so many people want).

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Surprised not many people are talking about Zadina. Of course it depends on where the devils actually end up drafting but he's high on my list (over some of the defensemen so many people want).

I would love to have him too. Another czech for Zacha, and another player from Halifax. We can rename them the Halifax Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->