2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I literally think Habs fans heads will explode if we ever did trade up to draft Kotkaniemi.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it's either Bouchard or Dobson. Judging by Cosintino's commentary on Sportsnet you almost have to think it's Dobson.
If Zadina and Bouchard are still on the board, who do you pick?

ItsChaboi

Feb 23, 2018
I think it's either Bouchard or Dobson. Judging by Cosintino's commentary on Sportsnet you almost have to think it's Dobson.
Bouchard was invited to Ottawa for more interviews, but pretty sure that Dobson wasn’t.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Bouchard was invited to Ottawa for more interviews, but pretty sure that Dobson wasn’t.
Keep in mind a week ago Dobson was still playing hockey. Their is little benefit to bring in a guy for more training when he really hasn't done anything and at this point rest is probably most important for his body.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Farabee’s work ethic and gritty play are outstanding. I understand the love. If the isles were offering 11&12 for 5 he’s one of the guys (along with a D) that I would be targeting at those picks.

I love Farabee and think he's Parise-lite. That said, I really don't know if those types of players can hold up over time anymore. Parise himself has been beset by injuries recently, Fabbri missed the entire season, and Mike Richards is out of the league.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I literally think Habs fans heads will explode if we ever did trade up to draft Kotkaniemi.

My favorite is where we get saddled with Alzner in a 5 for 3 swap.

I wonder if the Habs would prefer a 2019 2nd to a 2018 2nd since they already have four this year. Keeps all the contracts from coming up at once. Maybe we have to throw one of our current 3rds on there to give the deal some immediacy. So 2018 3OV for 2018 5OV, 2018 3rd rounder, and 2019 2nd rounder.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
My favorite is where we get saddled with Alzner in a 5 for 3 swap.

I wonder if the Habs would prefer a 2019 2nd to a 2018 2nd since they already have four this year. Keeps all the contracts from coming up at once. Maybe we have to throw one of our current 3rds on there to give the deal some immediacy. So 2018 3OV for 2018 5OV, 2018 3rd rounder, and 2019 2nd rounder.
Honestly. I like the player who will be there at 5 better (from a fit perspective) than 3. It is not unlikely we get a guy we have ranked at 3 anyways if we just hang tight. Worse case scenario we get the guy we have at 4 and keep our assets? I'm not rushing out to break the bank to get the same guy. I don't think Chayka will either.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Honestly. I like the player who will be there at 5 better (from a fit perspective) than 3. It is not unlikely we get a guy we have ranked at 3 anyways if we just hang tight. Worse case scenario we get the guy we have at 4 and keep our assets? I'm not rushing out to break the bank to get the same guy. I don't think Chayka will either.

Yeah, I'd agree. As much as I really like Zadina, I don't see a huge gulf between him and Wahlstrom/Dobson/Bouchard. I'll take the current odds that he'll end up dropping into our laps at 5 (as he just did in the HF mock I'm doing).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, I'd agree. As much as I really like Zadina, I don't see a huge gulf between him and Wahlstrom/Dobson/Bouchard. I'll take the current odds that he'll end up dropping into our laps at 5 (as he just did in the HF mock I'm doing).
I was talking a Zadina drop a few weeks ago. Rest assured someone is dropping; especially if Chayka can plant the seed that we are taking Kotkaniemi (edit or Dobson) at 5.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
30 Thoughts Podcast has a theory that Habs are using Kotkaniemi as a smokescreen. Player they are targeting is a D which puts my $ on Dobson (a huge media frenzy if they take a D and it's not the kid. From the Q who just won the Memorial Cup). Good players are dropping. 5 is a great spot to just sit and watch the carnage.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Next year's draft crop is forward heavy. Keep that in mind as we may see teams prioritize D this year versus a winger this year.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
30 Thoughts Podcast has a theory that Habs are using Kotkaniemi as a smokescreen. Player they are targeting is a D which puts my $ on Dobson (a huge media frenzy if they take a D and it's not the kid. From the Q who just won the Memorial Cup). Good players are dropping. 5 is a great spot to just sit and watch the carnage.

called it!

Reactions: doaner

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Next year's draft crop is forward heavy. Keep that in mind as we may see teams prioritize D this year versus a winger this year.

This is exactly the reason to stay at 5. Let some other GM's make the tough decisions. No need to give up assets to move up and pick a guy who could have been there at 5 the whole time. Next couple weeks are going to be very interesting.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm 100% on board with just sitting at five and seeing what happens. If Bergevin calls us and is willing to take a relatively small asset to move down to five, than so be it. If he wants a king's ransom, tell him to kick rocks. If our top four are gone by pick five, then I'd consider moving down but only if we can get a pretty good asset. Otherwise, just take the BPA.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
I'm 100% on board with just sitting at five and seeing what happens. If Bergevin calls us and is willing to take a relatively small asset to move down to five, than so be it. If he wants a king's ransom, tell him to kick rocks. If our top four are gone by pick five, then I'd consider moving down but only if we can get a pretty good asset. Otherwise, just take the BPA.

Boom, this is it

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Yes

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Nearly every Canadien fan I speak with wants the team to draft Zadina.

I'm sure they'll be calling for Bergevin's head if he doesn't select him.

Though I'm sure the same could have been said about Dubois jumping over Puljujarvi a couple years back.

Somehow I doubt both Montreal and Ottawa pass on him. We're just not that lucky. It might happen if Edmonton were here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->