Zadina
Tkachuk
Kotkaniemi
Wahlstrom
Dobson
Hughes
Boqvist
Farabee

Dobson is the only defenseman I’d feel comfortable taking at 5. Ideally, IMO, we end up with Tkachuk, Kotkaniemi, or Wahlstrom.

Reactions: Yandover

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I can't help thinking that we have to keep taking a bite out of the apple until we get that 1C. What is it about Kotkaniemi that has kept him lower than 5 in so many peoples' opinions around here? I really do like the idea of a player like Brady but count me as one of those concerned about his relative lack of production this past year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
My top 10:
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Tkachuk
Kotkaniemi
Wahlstrom
Dobson
Hughes
Boqvist
Farabee

Dobson is the only defenseman I’d feel comfortable taking at 5. Ideally, IMO, we end up with Tkachuk, Kotkaniemi, or Wahlstrom.
Where do U have Bouchard?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
#11 actually. I’d have him at 10 but I’m a big fan of Farabee. I’m hoping he slides to 14.
Farabee’s work ethic and gritty play are outstanding. I understand the love. If the isles were offering 11&12 for 5 he’s one of the guys (along with a D) that I would be targeting at those picks.

I really like Bouchard’s game. Rd who plays a ton, is extremely smart, can move the puck, and has a great shot. Great package.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Farabee’s work ethic and gritty play are outstanding. I understand the love. If the isles were offering 11&12 for 5 he’s one of the guys (along with a D) that I would be targeting at those picks.

I really like Bouchard’s game. Rd who plays a ton, is extremely smart, can move the puck, and has a great shot. Great package.
I like Bouchard as well. He plays with his head. It’s his physical gifts(skating) that have him a little lower on my list than the other D. I don’t mean it as a knock on him at all. I also think he’s the second best fit (behind Dobson) for the coyotes as far as defensemen go.

I don’t get to watch as many junior/college games that I used to so my list is probably shit now days anyway.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bouchard and Dobson are far from being pint-sized D. And most posters around here would want a forward over Hughes/Boqvist.
Did I mention the names Bouchard or Dobson? I would pick Tkachuk over Hughes or Boqvist. I know the NHL is all about speed, but I just don't like small D.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd rather have Tkachuk than an undersized offensive defenseman. But I'd also rather have a guy with top-caliber offensive potential than a guy who's "toolsy" but hasn't translated those tools into production. The most prevalent thing I've read about Tkachuk is that he is a quintessential power forward with an edge, and that he's got everything necessary for tremendous success except for actual results. I get the feeling that he's being ranked so high by pundits because he's from the "classic mold" of a hard-edged hockey player - except that the game has changed so much in 10 years that the "classic mold" is less effective than elite-level production.

If there's a chance Brady has the kind of attitude that Shane Doan had - a mature, solid leadership personality as a foundation to support his edgy power forward style - then I'll feel much better about drafting him at #5. Otherwise, if we're going with projectable traits, I'd prefer a Wahlstrom (or, hockey gods willing, a Zadina) over Tkachuk at that pick.
We can't predict the future and the draft is a crap shoot, so here is hoping who ever we pick pans out. Old man Tkachuk was a great player but an a------ of a person, so I would be very surprised if Brady will end up like a Doan, but who knows.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
I can't help thinking that we have to keep taking a bite out of the apple until we get that 1C. What is it about Kotkaniemi that has kept him lower than 5 in so many peoples' opinions around here? I really do like the idea of a player like Brady but count me as one of those concerned about his relative lack of production this past year.

Virtually every ranking site I've looked at in last week or two (and I follow about 12 of them) has him climbing into the top-5, ahead of Wahlstrom, Hughes, Bouchard, Boqvist, and Dobson. Not sure why all the scouts jumped on his bandwagon at once, but they're really starting to love the kid. Brady is falling to seven or eight in many I think for the reasons you mentioned. He's not as skilled as his dad or his brother. I think he's more likely to end up a middle-6 winger who plays a physical game.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Man I'm trying to narrow down what the Yotes are looking for and it just is impossible. Truly could be any position.

Defense and Center are things Chayka values more than wings of course. Looking at last two drafts, Yotes went D in the first round both times. BUT... They did go for Keller in that draft too. The Yotes prospect pool could use a piece in any of the categories and at number 5 you'll get a quality player so... It would make sense to hear that the Yotes have looked at moving up or down.

Move up to grab for sure your best player you covet. Or move down and acquire another asset because any pick near where they will land will fit their need!

Sigh I just don't know!

Reactions: RABBIT and Jakey53

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
If reports are true and Montreal wants kot and Ottawa is set on tkchuck, very well could see Zadina at 5.

If that’s the case, gotta think about throwing the 55 and 5 at Montreal for their 3.

Isn’t Zadina slates as pure goal scorer?

I do like whalstrom. Had a good interview and his shot is out of this world.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Kotkaniemi needs some time and some work. He’s got to get his skating mechanics fixed. He’s got to fill out. He’s got to adjust to North American ice. He’s going to spend at least one more year in Assat, and we can’t control his strength and conditioning coaches, his nutritionists, or his skating coaches until he gets to North America. Doubt he’s coming over to play in Tucson. So he’s going to have to be developed at the NHL level, which is risky.

I like him. I have him 6th. If he didn’t have a few red flags, he’d be going 2nd. Apart from Dahlin, every kid has something to worry about.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If reports are true and Montreal wants kot and Ottawa is set on tkchuck, very well could see Zadina at 5.

If that’s the case, gotta think about throwing the 55 and 5 at Montreal for their 3.

Isn’t Zadina slates as pure goal scorer?

I do like whalstrom. Had a good interview and his shot is out of this world.
I haven’t seen much about Ottawa. Is there stuff floating around about them liking Tkachuk?

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I haven’t seen much about Ottawa. Is there stuff floating around about them liking Tkachuk?

Just the stuff I’ve seen browsing around here that they have some ties to liking him or Hughes at 4.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Hoping you guys land Hughes or Wahlstrom at 5. In concern to Boqvist I hear he has concussion issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad