2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
We do need to keep in mind that Keller was considered kind of a leap at 7th overall, most scouts had him around 10-15 OV. Chayka and staff look smart for that pick. Also have to consider that his first two 1st round picks are current NHLers which tremendous upside. Too early to tell on POJ but considering the draft position, it looks like a solid pick.

Chayka and our scouting staff seem to have a positive record so far (since JC took over.) I trust who they pick, because they have earned my trust.

No doubt. I was so pro Logan Brown. I damn near shat myself when I saw Keller get drafted. Glad I was wrong.

I have my toaster, extension cord and bath tub ready for Tkachuk though. I think I may have to pull a Hinterland and just hate Tkachuck, regardless if he proves me wrong. I just REALLLLLLY don't want to draft him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We do need to keep in mind that Keller was considered kind of a leap at 7th overall, most scouts had him around 10-15 OV. Chayka and staff look smart for that pick. Also have to consider that his first two 1st round picks are current NHLers which tremendous upside. Too early to tell on POJ but considering the draft position, it looks like a solid pick.

Chayka and our scouting staff seem to have a positive record so far (since JC took over.) I trust who they pick, because they have earned my trust.
The final McKenzie poll of NHL scouts had Keller ranked 8th overall.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
This draft is so wide open that I think Boqvist is the only guy I'd be hesitant to take at 5 OV, at least among the top 10 or so consensus names.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
The final McKenzie poll of NHL scouts had Keller ranked 8th overall.

Yeah Bob is always pretty close, but ISS has Keller 12th and the guys on Sportsnet had him around 9-12. After he was drafted they even seemed a little surprised. There were some scouts/experts that thought his skill may not translate against men in the league.

RABBIT

No doubt. I was so pro Logan Brown. I damn near shat myself when I saw Keller get drafted. Glad I was wrong.

I have my toaster, extension cord and bath tub ready for Tkachuk though. I think I may have to pull a Hinterland and just hate Tkachuck, regardless if he proves me wrong. I just REALLLLLLY don't want to draft him.

:laugh: I hear you, but genuinely curious. Is it the lack of production? I think had he chosen to go the London Knight route like his brother we may be singing a different tune. He is more coveted than his brother was.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

The draft is a crap shoot. You're not a troll so there's no way you would pull a Hinterland. (hopefully you're not spending a couple of months on every team site on the boards stirring the pot.)

Reactions: Sthlmyote

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah Bob is always pretty close, but ISS has Keller 12th and the guys on Sportsnet had him around 9-12. After he was drafted they even seemed a little surprised. There were some scouts/experts that thought his skill may not translate against men in the league.
Bob’s list is so amazing. Scouts from 10 actual teams, anonymously ranking. Beautiful idea and execution. So glad we fans have that resource.

Reactions: RABBIT

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
:laugh: I hear you, but genuinely curious. Is it the lack of production? I think had he chosen to go the London Knight route like his brother we may be singing a different tune. He is more coveted than his brother was.

Yup. That's exactly it. I don't want to spend a top five pick on a player who didn't produce well his draft year. He's coveted because of his last name more than production honestly. Add to this, the kid wants to go pro this year too. Unless he pulls a Fischer and is fine going to the AHL right away, I worry he may see the writing on the wall after rookie camp, run off to college and sign elsewhere in four years. AHL is a harder game than college, and I worry that he may struggle to produce at the next level.

I'd rather spend the pick on a player who produced, who is fine with returning to their levels after the draft if needed, and will dominate that league they go back to.

I worry that Butt Tissue is going to force our hand and go pro, get sent to the AHL and pot another 8 goals max there. That kind of production doesn't warrant a top five pick, especially when his peers have out produced him.

RABBIT

Yup. That's exactly it. I don't want to spend a top five pick on a player who didn't produce well his draft year. He's coveted because of his last name more than production honestly. Add to this, the kid wants to go pro this year too. Unless he pulls a Fischer and is fine going to the AHL right away, I worry he may see the writing on the wall after rookie camp, run off to college and sign elsewhere in four years. AHL is a harder game than college, and I worry that he may struggle to produce at the next level.

I'd rather spend the pick on a player who produced, who is fine with returning to their levels after the draft if needed, and will dominate that league they go back to.

I worry that Butt Tissue is going to force our hand and go pro, get sent to the AHL and pot another 8 goals max there. That kind of production doesn't warrant a top five pick, especially when his peers have out produced him.

I definitely hear your concerns, that being said, I think he will be a more productive, less physical version of his brother. He and Clayton Keller are tight, and he has connections to Matthews and Fischer. Also, his dad played here, I personally don't think he would take the dickhead route. He does seem to really like the idea of BU, which I would be happy with. I think Tkachuk will be an impact player in the NHL, but it's hard to predict.

rt

May 13, 2004
You don't have to worry about Tkachuk not signing. He'll graduate before he's UFA.

I like Brady a lot. I've got him 8th overall. I'd probably take him over Dobson and Boqvist and Farabee and Veleno and a whole host of other intriguing prospects. I'm worried that folks have him ranked in the top two or three or four or five for the wrong reasons. I think his last name (which means absolutely nothing) is partly to blame and the perception that he's as NHL ready as his brother was (which is absolutely incorrect) makes up the rest of the reason why he might be slightly overrated.

He needs another year of amateur hockey, and being a Tkachuk is only helpful in the extreme short-term of his career. It'll help him be less wide-eyed at the NHL level, and probably help him cope with some of that initial anxiety. By the time he's in his 2nd year of pro hockey, his last name will be of no benefit to the team that employs him. If you like Tkachuk because of bloodlines, you're a fool. If you like Tkachuk because you want to rush him right into the NHL, you're a fool. If you like Tkachuk because he's got a lot of hockey skill, a ton of physical gifts, and the right mental makeup to be an impact player for your team down the line, then you should definitely draft him. He very often looks like one hell of a stud prospect out there. I'm fine betting on that horse. As long as it's for the right reasons.

Reactions: RABBIT

rt

May 13, 2004
I definitely hear your concerns, that being said, I think he will be a more productive, less physical version of his brother. He and Clayton Keller are tight, and he has connections to Matthews and Fischer. Also, his dad played here, I personally don't think he would take the ******** route. He does seem to really like the idea of BU, which I would be happy with. I think Tkachuk will be an impact player in the NHL, but it's hard to predict.
I don't know, man. I saw a lot more elite level, pure offensive skill out of Matt in his draft year. Brady is bigger, stronger, and a hell of a lot faster. In close, they're similar. I like Matt's hockey sense more. Brady's power and speed makes him probably the better two-way guy, though. They're different. I see Matt as slower, smarter and more skilled. I see Brady as faster, stronger, and more toolsy.

RABBIT

I don't know, man. I saw a lot more elite level, pure offensive skill out of Matt in his draft year. Brady is bigger, stronger, and a hell of a lot faster. In close, they're similar. I like Matt's hockey sense more. Brady's power and speed makes him probably the better two-way guy, though. They're different. I see Matt as slower, smarter and more skilled. I see Brady as faster, stronger, and more toolsy.

That's fair. I just see Brady's hands and passing ability translating to the NHL pretty well. Matthew has a drive-hard-to-the-net strategy that naturally works well in the big league.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think you are criminally underrating Tkachuk.
Correct. The thing is, most are looking at stats, and stats only. If you do that, I understand their thinking, but there is more to it than stats. Who knows what his stats would look like if he played junior in Canada. Tkachuk is exactly the type of player this team needs. I would rather have him than these pint sized D that can skate like the wind that most posters want.

Reactions: Kimahri

rt

May 13, 2004
I like Brady. I’d be just fine with picking him 5th. But I once saw an Andrei Kostitsyn highlight package that made him look like Eric Lindros in his prime. :)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Correct. The thing is, most are looking at stats, and stats only. If you do that, I understand their thinking, but there is more to it than stats. Who knows what his stats would look like if he played junior in Canada. Tkachuk is exactly the type of player this team needs. I would rather have him than these pint sized D that can skate like the wind that most posters want.

I'd rather have Tkachuk than an undersized offensive defenseman. But I'd also rather have a guy with top-caliber offensive potential than a guy who's "toolsy" but hasn't translated those tools into production. The most prevalent thing I've read about Tkachuk is that he is a quintessential power forward with an edge, and that he's got everything necessary for tremendous success except for actual results. I get the feeling that he's being ranked so high by pundits because he's from the "classic mold" of a hard-edged hockey player - except that the game has changed so much in 10 years that the "classic mold" is less effective than elite-level production.

If there's a chance Brady has the kind of attitude that Shane Doan had - a mature, solid leadership personality as a foundation to support his edgy power forward style - then I'll feel much better about drafting him at #5. Otherwise, if we're going with projectable traits, I'd prefer a Wahlstrom (or, hockey gods willing, a Zadina) over Tkachuk at that pick.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
I'm taking a shot this year. Anxious for feedback. If it sucks tell me. Won't hurt my feelings. :)

RANKPLAYERPOS
1Dahlin, RasmusD
2Svechnikov, AndreiRW
3Zadina, FilipLW
4Tkachuk, BradyC
5Wahlstrom, OliverC/RW
6Hughes, QuinnD
7Boqvist, AdamD
8Bouchard, EvamD
9Dobson, NoahD
10Kotkaniemi, JesperiC
11Hayton, BarrettC
12Farabee, JoelLW
13Smith, TyD
14Veleno, JoeC
15Kupari, RasmusC
16Wilde, BodeD
17Lundestrom, IsacC/LW
18Kravtsov, VitaliRW
19Thomas, AkilC
20Noel, SerronRW
21Denisenko, GrigoriLW
22McLeod, RyanC
23Merkley, RyanD
24Sandin, RasmusD
25McIsaac, JaredD
26Bokk, DominikRW
27Samuelsson, MattiasD
28Miller, K'AndreD
29Kaut, MartinRW
30Woo, JettD
31Alexeyev, AlexanderD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yup. That's exactly it. I don't want to spend a top five pick on a player who didn't produce well his draft year.

I have far more shallow reasons for not being particularly enthused. I really don't want to hear about how he's carrying on the great Tkachuk legacy in Arizona for the next decade or so (nevermind all that holding out and underachieving teams stuff)

I'm sure if the younger Tkachuk ends up being a great player for us I'd get over it, but it would still be very annoying.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm taking a shot this year. Anxious for feedback. If it sucks tell me. Won't hurt my feelings. :)

Kotkaniemi goes either inbetween or maybe even before all of the run of D you have between 6-9. If he's sitting there at 6-7 and the team that has the pick wants a D, they'll trade out to someone who needs him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad