OT: 2018 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I agree with almost all of this statement besides sitting him for an entire season. Starting him at some point after the halfway mark could be beneficial to his development. But I should probably stop counting chickens.

True. Qb's are making much more rapid transitions to the pros now. Maybe my thinking is a bit antiquated but if the Giants land Herbert he should probably be starting middle of yea 1. He will have the weapons to hit the ground running

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It does look like Gruden wants 1-15 and a complete reboot of the entire franchise. Giants look like they could win another game or two and end up 2-14 or 3-13
This is just about the only thing I can see weighing on Herbert's mind as Oakland is a ratchet franchise with an odd future in Vegas.

I also don't think tanking is as possible in the NFL where most people from staff to players are on unguarunteed contracts. There is less loyalty to the brand - from top to bottom - than any other North American sports league.

I have no idea how many games the giants are going to win or lose for the remainder of the season. What I do know is that I will be actively cheering for their opponents from here on out.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It does look like Gruden wants 1-15 and a complete reboot of the entire franchise. Giants look like they could win another game or two and end up 2-14 or 3-13
Ugghh, just looked at the Raiders schedule. They're going to get mauled by every team left on their schedule besides Arizona and maybe Denver.

Is there a Strahan or Revis projected in this draft?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
You can find yourself a pass rusher in this draft definitely. Everybody knows Bosa. Also Josh Allen local kid playing for Kentucky. Zach Allen too. Another guy from Clemson. Clelin Ferrell. A complete package. Probably the guy who most reminds me of Strahan

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The Raiders are trash. Derek Carr however is a 3x pro-bowler.
lol @ using Pro Bowls as any type of actual stat. Its a popularity contest and the top QBs typically always pull out, thus making the lesser players become "Pro Bowlers"

if Carr was so great, and since finding a QB is so hard to do in today's NFL, you think the Raiders would even think about getting rid of him...?

Like I said, you don't want Carr. Set your sights higher than that.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
lol @ using Pro Bowls as any type of actual stat. Its a popularity contest and the top QBs typically always pull out, thus making the lesser players become "Pro Bowlers"

if Carr was so great, and since finding a QB is so hard to do in today's NFL, you think the Raiders would even think about getting rid of him...?

$25mil per year indicates that enough people being paid to judge football think he's good at playing football.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to set my sights higher, but Herbert, Carr, Lock, Haskins(?), and a dude that tries to run over cops on his way to practice seem to be the only realistic options at this point. If you have a creative solution to the impending NY football Giants quarterback crisis I'd love to hear it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And Carmelo was going to remain in orange. It just doesn't happen.

And frankly, if he makes that decision I'd drop him just for being that dumb.

Peyton did the same thing despite being the most ready you could possibly be for the pros after three years, and rookie contracts were a lot more lucrative back then.

Because the Raiders are dumb, Mark Davis needs to save money, and he isn't Gruden's pick, he's moving everything that isn't bolted down and wants to clear the decks for Vegas, Oakland fans be damned when they go 2-14 the next two years. Carr's regressed since two years ago but it's not like he's got some great talent around him either, guys like stonehands Cooper, past his prime Jordy Nelson, and Jared Cook aren't scaring anyone. Neither is the corpse of Marshawn. I could actually see Carr having a second life somewhere else.

I mean just two years ago he threw for nearly 4000 yards, 28 TD's, 6 picks and went 12-3 in fifteen games. The year before he was around 4000 yards with 32-13 TD/int's. Even last year he was meh but not as awful as the Raiders' record would suggest.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Speaking of QB's has anyone ever made more money (on multiple contracts) for doing less in the NFL than Sam Bradford?

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Peyton did the same thing despite being the most ready you could possibly be for the pros after three years, and rookie contracts were a lot more lucrative back then.
That was 20 years ago and with money, prestige, and a less eccentric LaVar Ball behind him. They're not comparable scenarios.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Take Cleveland and the Jets today

I stopped in at The Meadowlands earlier, lively crowd

Last edited:

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
The Raiders are trash. Derek Carr however is a young 3x pro-bowler.

Carr is not the same player since his leg and back injures. He is hearing ghosts and is just awful under pressure. And while he is accurate on his short and mid throws, his deep passes are a lottery. I would be surprised if Carr is still under center in Oakland next season.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Packers in a must win scenario tonight. Possibly no Gronk or Michel. If the packers can contain White, they can win this going away.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Jets are playing in Miami and the Giants have their bye. What lively crowd at the Meadowlands are you talking about?

oh, FanDuel Sports Book at The Meadowlands.

Was in the area this morning and stopped in to place some bets for today's games

It's open on Sunday's when no NFL at the stadium

Zbc has a fried omlete on his face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad