OT: 2018 NFL Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Cooks is one of three players to lose back to back Superbowls on different teams, he's actually the first to be active, the other two weren't active players for whatever reasons during one of the two Super Bowls.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Dunno about that, but the NFL is breathing a sigh of relief, because if the Rams won this game it forever would have had an unofficial asterisk next to their championship.

If anything it’s worse the Pats won an ugly game cause now people will say but if the Saints were here it’s probably a different story. I don’t think they would have had as pitiful a game as the Rams. The only thing that would remove the perceived asterisk is a Pats blowout.

Camille the Eel

This Patriots’ win is actually the biggest credit to - or maybe you’d say the most “emblematic” of - what they’ve accomplished over the years because it’s the most “Team Win” of all the Super Bowls. The one the least due to Brady personally (and in that sense it resembled Peyton’s last win with Denver 4 years back). The defense and special teams, the punting and field position games, and the coaching won this game. Not Tom Brady primarily. Over the course of the seasons they’ve regularly won games like this but it tends to get forgotten. But this one visibly belongs to the group as a whole more than any of the others. Not the most exciting game to watch but a throwback victory.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This game (and the pilloring of it) is the reason the NFL and all sports stack the deck in rules changes that favor the offense lol...contrast the talk during and after this game compared to Chiefs-Rams :P

Camille the Eel

Yeah only a Pats fan could love that game and even then only after the fact. But I think the “No Show” was 1/3 Rams and 2/3ds the Pats taking them off their game.

Actually there used to be a lot of Super Bowls like this. For years it seemed like the team in the big game for the first time nearly always lost - this before the contemporary era. The bright lights and media atmosphere and 2 week layoff took away their focus and the more experienced team kept theirs and would win. That looked like what happened yesterday.

But also Belichick’s staff out coached L.A., the Rams and their young QB couldn’t adjust, and the Pats flat out outhit them too. They played a more physical game. That last 4th quarter field goal drive showed you that. The Rams broke during that final drive when Michel and the full back ran the ball on them. That drive was big to put the game away.

And there’s always that old saw about making the plays. If Brandon Cooks makes that 4th quarter catch in the end zone it’s a tie game and then who knows? Pats made a couple more plays in the end. The cliches are cliches for a reason.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Personally thought that outcome was very predictable. Not so much the 13-3 obviously, but I went after the Patriots/Under hard. I'm really confused about where Vegas' heads were at for this game. There was absurd value everywhere to the point where I had to step back and consider maybe I'm just missing something/looking at this entirely wrong. Edelman 1st half yards and full game yards were easy props too (sure, Edelman is Edelman...but the Rams can't cover the slot at all. Making it even more of a lock).

Anyway, went into the game not seeing a way for the Rams to move the ball. Expected something like 24-17 Pats. Clearly a lot of "analysts" and Vegas haven't watched Goff play enough, just remaining enamored by McVay.

This isn't a "look at me" post...I just can't recall the last time Vegas was CLEARLY so far off heading in (from my perspective).

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
This game (and the pilloring of it) is the reason the NFL and all sports stack the deck in rules changes that favor the offense lol...contrast the talk during and after this game compared to Chiefs-Rams :P

Disagree.

1) I love a good defensive football game, but that wasnt really what this Superbowl was, it was more simply poor football.

2) I also said Chiefs/Rams was a poor football game (in this thread).

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
This isn't a "look at me" post...I just can't recall the last time Vegas was CLEARLY so far off heading in (from my perspective).

You still have to actually have the ballz to make the bets. I toyed will 4 bets yesterday:

1) Patiots win
2) UNDER
3) Gronkowski > 50.5
4) Edelman > 79.5

All 4 of those bets would have won. The problem is, I only bet on 1 of them. lol

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
You still have to actually have the ballz to make the bets. I toyed will 4 bets yesterday:

1) Patiots win
2) UNDER
3) Gronkowski > 50.5
4) Edelman > 79.5

All 4 of those bets would have won. The problem is, I only bet on 1 of them. lol
I placed 8 bets in total...hit all 8. I've never had that happen on 1 game. I didn't touch any player props outside of Edelman. I also didn't even bet on Edelman total yards. Reasoning: Somehow Edelman was going at even odds for 1st half yards at 32.5....yet full game at 80.5 was at -160. With that value, I just chuck everything at that 1st half total. And he cleared it in the 1st quarter. I honestly think people just weren't scrolling down on the bet slips after they saw his game total.

Actually, I guess it was 7/8 technically since I bet Pats by 1-6 (3.5 to 1 odds) and Pats by 7-12 (5.5 to 1 odds). Put $25 on Edelman to win MVP because, again, the Rams BLOW at covering the slot and I liked the value at 20-1. That's a lucky bet though....easily could have been Hightower or Gilmore.

Everyone is bitching about this game and in my mind it was one of the top 3 Super Bowls I've ever seen...for entirely biased reasons. :laugh:

Reactions: Camille the Eel

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Disagree.

1) I love a good defensive football game, but that wasnt really what this Superbowl was, it was more simply poor football.

2) I also said Chiefs/Rams was a poor football game (in this thread).

I agree on both counts inasmuch as I don't like either extreme, just saying the 'public' at large GREATLY preferred #2 to #1 and the reaction shows it and why these leagues want more and more offense.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Apparently Christian Hackenberg couldn't even shine against less than practice squad players in the AAF.

How does Macc still have a job?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Browns sign Kareem Hunt...so what are they going to do with Nick Chubb now?!

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
There are really only a few examples of teams with standout #1 backs. RB by committee is pretty much the way it goes. Don't see why they can't have them both playing

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It's for 1 year, $1mil.

Absolutely no risk - so long as he keeps his feet to himself - for a hungry premier back, and an elite 1-2 punch.

Although given his history you knew it was going to be the browns, raiders, or jets who signed him. I would have put the eagles in there a few years ago but you don't mess with that current roster like that.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It's for 1 year, $1mil.

Absolutely no risk - so long as he keeps his feet to himself - for a hungry premier back, and an elite 1-2 punch.

Although given his history you knew it was going to be the browns, raiders, or jets who signed him. I would have put the eagles in there a few years ago but you don't mess with that current roster like that.

Tampa belongs on this list at one point but they’ve cleaned up their act the last 5 years jettisoning talented players that couldn’t keep clean or out of trouble ( the way it should be).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad