OT: 2018 NFL Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Based on what?

Lying to the fans of LSU and the Dolphins and his coaching tactics which appear to involve a lot of humiliation of children. That and from second hand knowledge I’ve had of people who knew him who explained that he’s far from a good guy.

Football players may be big but they arrive at Bana as 18 year olds many from impoverished backgrounds with fragile families. He is very old school in how he deals with them. In today’s world with the talent advantage he has is expect better from him.

You can google this sort of thing if you are interested.

I’m not sure why him getting credit as a great coach (as opposed to recruiter) irks me so much. It’s not as if I went to LSU or root for them that hard. I’m a fairly casual college football fan, but I do live in the heart of SEC country and you can’t get away from it.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The NO center practiced fully. Every other starting o-lineman and the primary LT backup were limited and the same was true today.

Looks like the entire NO starting offensive line is likely ready to go Sunday, only a question with 1 guy, but looks like he's playing. Bad news for the Eagles.

I'll be very interested to see Pederson's game plan for this one. I criticize him for being a riverboat gambler, but his game design ability against stronger opponents is worthy of Rommel or Patton.

Does he try to go explosive passing offense and shove NO's game right back at them?
Does he try to shorten the game as much as possible by running a lot?

Wish I knew what's in his head.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Looks like the entire NO starting offensive line is likely ready to go Sunday, only a question with 1 guy, but looks like he's playing. Bad news for the Eagles.

I'll be very interested to see Pederson's game plan for this one. I criticize him for being a riverboat gambler, but his game design ability against stronger opponents is worthy of Rommel or Patton.

Does he try to go explosive passing offense and shove NO's game right back at them?
Does he try to shorten the game as much as possible by running a lot?

Wish I knew what's in his head.

I’m not so sure the limited guys are all that healthy. The LT was in and out of the game against PIT. His backup has missed several games at the end of the sesson. The LG was hurt in the meaningless last game against CAR and did not return. The fact that the oldest guy in the group, the center, is full practice leads me to believe the other guys are not just taking it easy to conserve energy. We will see if any make the jump to full practice today.

As for the game plan it’s pretty easy from an Eagles perspective. The NO weakness has been been deep coverage. PHI also has two good pass catching TEs. NO was top against the run I believe this year and PHI doesn’t have the stand out runner to carry that load. If I’m PHI I pass deep early and often to outside receivers and a steady diet of short to medium passes to TEs to move the chains. Run just enough to keep NO line honest. Will it work? I don’t know as I haven’t watched PHI much and you can’t say that last week’s game offers much predictability given the drmatically different matchups and locale (outdoor cold windy stadium versus dome).

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
you can bet your bottom dollar that the Saints are going to be throwing the ball a lot in this game, which leads me to believe that the Eagles are going to have to as well

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Throwing a few shekels on the following this wknd:

Chiefs -5.5 - Colts defense is good, but has feasted on some mediocre QB play in their run. Chiefs outplay a dome-team in the cold/snow and win 38-27.

Cowboys +7 - Cowboys might actually be the better team on paper and this will not be a true road game for them. Zeke gets 130+ on the ground. Field goal game either way.

Pats -4 - Worst Pats team in years but give me the BB duo off a bye vs a Chargers team that has played some physical games down the stretch. Pats win 27-20.

Eagles +8 - I hate the Eagles and hope they get romped, but I think they have as much talent (if not more) man-for-man as the Saints do and Foles has a golden horseshoe up his ass.

My3Sons

Sponsor
There is no way NO covers

A good chance Philly wins outright
Foles is the magic man

I would only disagree with you if NO line was healthy which is still a big if to me. A healthy O line would allow NO to have its way against the PHI defense which is what happened last game. If NO o line is as banged up as I think it is and it will be a very close game most likely.

PHI offense might thrive but unless you’ve tried calling signals and audibles standing under a jet plane taking off you haven’t really prepped for the Superdome crowd. It’s that loud at critical moments. The noise on the last two PIT drives in week 16 was deafening and sustained for 20-30 seconds at a time. It can make a difference. PHI has to get the lead to dampen the crowd enthusiasm.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
you can bet your bottom dollar that the Saints are going to be throwing the ball a lot in this game, which leads me to believe that the Eagles are going to have to as well

That's pretty much the way I see it.

I think for the Eagles to win, they're going to have to out-Saints the Saints.

That's basically how Philly had to win the SuperBowl against the Patriots.

Throwing a few shekels on the following this wknd:

Chiefs -5.5
Cowboys +7
Pats -4
Eagles +8

I dont like ANY of these lines from a betting perspective. Were I forced to bet a game I'd take Chiefs -5.5, but even that I dont love.

Havent looked at the UNDER/OVER on any of them yet.

If Eagles > 21 comes down to -110 from -120, I'll bet on that. Twenty-one points is too low, that line is being set based on the Eagles only scoring 7 against NO earlier in the season, and that's a logical fallacy for a whole bunch of reasons.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
theres no way the Eagles have as much talent as the Saints do

you don't actually believe that do you?

I think they are far superior in the trenches, which is the most important part of the field. Their secondary is the biggest weakness, but it's been light years ahead of where it was last time the Eagles made a trip down to NO, while the Saints are trotting Eli Apple out as their #2 corner.

Out of receiving threats, Thomas is the best between the two sides, then the Eagles have the next best 3. QB and RB, Saints have a significant edge (but then again, can't explain Foles in the 4th quarter). I think it's certainly close because of how well the O-line and D-line of Philly have been playing.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
lets go through position by position

QB- Saints easily
RB- Saints easily
WR- Saints have the best guy in Thomas, Eagles might have better depth. Its close but lets say push.
TE- Eagles easily
OL- I give the edge to the Saints but its close
DLine- Eagles
LB- push
secondary- Saints easily

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Jets are in talks to bring in Gregg Williams as DC.

If it happens, it has to be the douchiest coaching staff in the league. :laugh: I may be able to get behind that.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

QB- Saints easily
RB- Saints easily
WR- Saints have the best guy in Thomas, Eagles might have better depth. Its close but lets say push.
TE- Eagles easily
DLine- Eagles
LB- push
secondary- Saints easily

DLine should be Eagles "easily", and OL I dont think is any worse than a push.

The rest I agree with.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
DLine should be Eagles "easily", and OL I dont think is any worse than a push.

The rest I agree with.

the Saints had the 2nd best run D in the league. Cameron Jordan is a stud. They also had 5 more sacks than the Eagles did.

I think overall the Eagles DL is better, but the Saints are really good

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ

QB- Saints easily
RB- Saints easily
TE- Eagles easily
DLine- Eagles
LB- push
secondary- Saints easily

QB- Saints easily (but tough to predict which Foles you get)
RB- Saints easily
WR- Eagles
TE- Eagles easily
OL- Eagles narrowly - Peters is playing out of his mind right now.
DLine- Eagles
LB- push
secondary- Saints narrowly (hate Apple for NO, love Jenkins as well as Maddox's play of late for Philly)

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Eagles current (i.e. surviving & have to play) cornerbacks are undrafted, undrafted, 4th String, and a 4th Round pick.

They're being called, The Legion of Whom, and torched as they have been they've been respectable, sort of, if you think about what they're being asked to come in and do. But Drew Brees is a whole other challenge. The Eagles defensive line is one of the best in football, and they'll have to be, because if Brees cant stand in the pocket he's going to kill the Eagles 3rd and 4th string secondary. :cry:

EDIT: Also it was just announced Mike Wallace is not "OUT" for the first time since breaking a bone in week 2. If he can play, that's a pretty big upgrade to the Eagles receiver corps.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The Eagles current (i.e. surviving & have to play) cornerbacks are undrafted, undrafted, 4th String, and a 4th Round pick.

They're being called, The Legion of Whom, and torched as they have been they've been respectable, sort of, if you think about what they're being asked to come in and do. But Drew Brees is a whole other challenge. The Eagles defensive line is one of the best in football, and they'll have to be, because if Brees cant stand in the pocket he's going to kill the Eagles 3rd and 4th string secondary. :cry:

EDIT: Also it was just announced Mike Wallace is not "OUT" for the first time since breaking a bone in week 2. If he can play, that's a pretty big upgrade to the Eagles receiver corps.

More good fortune for Philly

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The spreads haven't moved at all yet.

I would think that Dallas and Philly spreads will shrink

The Cowboys will definitely lose, likely due to some stupid, self inflicted wounds like multiple drive saving/killing penalties, Ints, drops and fumbles. Or else the kicker will miss a game-tying PAT or something. That's the Cowboy way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->