NFL: 2018 NFL News & Notes discussion thread

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
It won’t be a 1st not at earls age. Seattle wants an additional pick. Fairest deal would be for the 2nd plus a conditional pick if he makes the pro bowl. 2nd in 2019 and conditional pick in 2020.

Hope this finally ends.

I'm a bit surprised Seattle didn't accept the second rounder from Dallas, but it's good that they didn't cave to his demands.
The team has said all along that they won't negotiate during a holdout, so now that he's reporting here's his chance to stick if he wants to.

Really though, he's 29 not 34 and is in fantastic shape. He's worth a four year deal.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I think it might be a tough season for the Seahawks even with Thomas back. A 2nd round pick would've been a good return based on his age and contract status.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not sure why they didn't trade him at draft

I mean they should have just done it and focused on a quick rebuild/retool

Guy doesn't want to be there anymore and they clearly don't want to pay him big $$$ longterm

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

Guy doesn't want to be there anymore and they clearly don't want to pay him big $$$ longterm

Because he's under contract, is much better than the rookie they drafted to replace him, and they feel he is worth more than was offered.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

He wants to have some insurance. Guy watched avril and Kam go down with likely career ending neck injuries. Can’t blame him for wanting a new dea like Kam got at the start of last year. Last thing earl wants is to get franchised which would be a lousy move by the hawks if they do that to an 9 year vet who has proven himself as a pro bowler.

I think they should have taken the Dallas dea. Or at worst do what I suggested if they want an extra pick and make it conditional upon his play.

Reactions: Voight and m9

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I'm not predicting them to be awful just saying but If the Bills have the first overall pick in the draft next year do they select a QB?
Does Arizona?
Interesting stuff.
Suppose Allen is the guy but what if the next Peyton Manning is staring at you in 2019 NFL draft?
What do you do?

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
There's no Peyton Manning level prospect in next year's draft.

It's pretty much all DL in the top 10. Arguably the deepest DL draft ever.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Some QB or two will grab some team's attention to be taken high.

But there's no way the Bills draft a QB. Not unless Allen gets seriously hurt.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
There's no Peyton Manning level prospect in next year's draft.

It's pretty much all DL in the top 10. Arguably the deepest DL draft ever.

There hasn't been a Payton Manning level prospect since Payton Manning. That doesn't mean anything really.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
"Suppose Allen is the guy but what if the next Peyton Manning is staring at you in 2019 NFL draft?"

I didn't bring Peyton into this , now did I?......Are you always this obnoxious?

Look up a mock draft , read some PFF , look at the class. The only way a QB goes 1st overall is if someone vastly reaches. The DL talent is absurd.

And it's Peyton.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The Bills won't take a QB. Allen has at least 3 years unless he does something incredibly stupid off the field (Unlikely). I could see them take Greg Little though. By far the best LT in the class.

Reactions: m9

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The Browns are the case study why you don't chase QBs in the late 1st to early 3rd round. Just trade into the top ten and get your guy and then hope for the best. Kizer, Kessler, Weeden, Manziel.. such a waste.
Since when have the Browns had to trade to get a Top 10 pick?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Sometimes holding out for better offer/teams bites you in ass

Now teams will be wondering about his hamstring and may be even more hesitant to give him call

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm not predicting them to be awful just saying but If the Bills have the first overall pick in the draft next year do they select a QB?
Does Arizona?
Interesting stuff.
Suppose Allen is the guy but what if the next Peyton Manning is staring at you in 2019 NFL draft?
What do you do?

Both teams traded up to get QBs in this years draft so i seriously doubt it.

Not really news, but

Very nice to see. Steve Smith deserves to have his number retired and honored here.

Not surprised now that Richardson and Gettleman are gone. Tepper probably wants to please the fans and wants by gones be by gones.

The Bills won't take a QB. Allen has at least 3 years unless he does something incredibly stupid off the field (Unlikely). I could see them take Greg Little though. By far the best LT in the class.

Exactly - hell they held onto EJ Manuel for 4 years so I think Allen has a long leash.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There's no Manning in 2019, but just because a QB goes #1 or #2 doesn't mean it will be a reach. You see guys move up the board during the season pretty much every year. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see someone make a Goff/Wentz type move to that #1 spot.

And in that scenario, Buffalo or Arizona should trade down and collect assets.

The real interesting scenario will be if a team like Tampa Bay or Oakland gets the top pick and there's a QB available. If they got that pick, their current QB's didn't have a great year.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
There hasn't been a Payton Manning level prospect since Payton Manning. That doesn't mean anything really.

Andrew Luck doesn't count? I feel like the hype for his arrival got close-ish to Manning levels.

He hasn't been the franchise changing guy a lot of people expected, but that's mostly because he plays for a perpetual black hole in Indianapolis.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Luck was definitely at that level as a prospect, or at least extremely close.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Andrew Luck doesn't count? I feel like the hype for his arrival got close-ish to Manning levels.

He hasn't been the franchise changing guy a lot of people expected, but that's mostly because he plays for a perpetual black hole in Indianapolis.
But it’s still pretty rare that someone like that is there. Maybe once per decade. You will know about guys like this well in advance. Manning was 1998 and luck was 2012. both manning and luck returned for another year of school. Otherwise manning would have been a Jet the prior year and Luck, could have gone to Carolina instead of Newton.

The draft gurus don’t expect anyone like that this year. And even for 2020 draft who is headlining that? Need to see how the college kids play 2019 to get a sense of who might be a legit NFL QB In 2020.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
But it’s still pretty rare that someone like that is there. Maybe once per decade. You will know about guys like this well in advance. Manning was 1998 and luck was 2012. both manning and luck returned for another year of school. Otherwise manning would have been a Jet the prior year and Luck, could have gone to Carolina instead of Newton.

The draft gurus don’t expect anyone like that this year. And even for 2020 draft who is headlining that? Need to see how the college kids play 2019 to get a sense of who might be a legit NFL QB In 2020.

Yes they do. Don't listen to any of the Main Stream draft gurus.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Oh, he qualified to be on the PS? He’s been on the raiders 53 man roster the past 2 seasons.

Thought he didn’t qualify. Need to see the requirements again.

They changed the rules when they expanded it from 8-10 players

In 2016, the NFL adopted a modification to the practice squad rules that allows up to four players per practice squad to have two accrued seasons, making it easier for teams to have experienced players on their practice squad. In the previous agreement, only two players with two accrued seasons were allowed to be on a practice squad.
Other than those four players, eligibility is limited to players who have been on an active roster for fewer than six games, or were on a 46-man active gameday roster for fewer than nine games.
A player is allowed on the practice squad for up to two years, with one year counting as six weeks in a season. A third year on the practice squad is only allowed if the team keeps 53 players on their active roster at all times (which every team does).

NFL Practice Squad 101: Eligibility, rules, pay, changing teams and what to know

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad