NFL: 2018 NFL News & Notes discussion thread

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Couple of interesting roster notes from the teams I follow closely.

The Cowboys are keeping 4 TEs on their 53 man roster. Most every team only keeps three healthy TEs on the roster unless they use one of those TEs as a dual service TE/FB. The suspicion is the Cowboys are keeping Geoff Swaim, Blake Jarwin, Dalton Schultz, and Rico Gathers because they aren't overly excited about any of them and still don't really know what they have.

After the latest round of cuts and waiver claims, the Browns have now changed over 31 of their 53 players from last season. Every new GM wants to put their stamp on a team, but this is pretty interesting considering how the Browns spent all of Sashi Brown's time as GM cutting vets and filling the roster with drafted players. Dorsey hasn't been GM for even a year, and he's already cut a number of Sashi Brown's drafted players. Hell, I'll just go down Sashi Brown's drafts. The names in bolded italics are no longer Browns. The 2016 draft was a disaster and is a big reason why they went 1-31 during Brown's tenure as GM, but Brown did a lot better with the top end of the 2017 draft.

1 Myles Garrett DE - starter and AMAZING
1 Jabrill Peppers S - starter and should be good
1 David Njoku TE - starter and showing promise
2 DeShone Kizer QB – traded to GB
3 Larry Ogunjobi DT - starter on the d line
4 Howard Wilson CB – on IR but they like him
5 Roderick Johnson T – waived in June
6 Caleb Brantley DT – waived on Saturday
7 Zane Gonzalez K - the kicker
7 Matthew Dayes RB – waived on Saturday

2016 (traded down instead of drafting Wentz)
1 Corey Coleman WR – waived a few weeks ago
2 Emmanuel Ogbah DE - starter at end and they love him
3 Carl Nassib DE – waived on Saturday
3 Shon Coleman T – traded for 7th rounder
3 Cody Kessler QB – traded for 7th rounder
4 Joe Schobert OLB - starting MLB and they love him
4 Ricardo Louis WR – on IR but will be cut when healthy
4 Derrick Kindred S - backup safety
4 Seth Devalve TE - backup TE
5 Jordan Payton WR – waived last season
5 Spencer Drango G – waived on Saturday
5 Rashard Higgins WR - backup WR
5 Trey Caldwell 173 – waived last season
7 Scooby Wright ILB – Arizona stole him off Cleveland’s practice squad
Now in visual format:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Interesting tidbit I saw the other day.

If you remove Matt Ryans MVP season and compare his career to stats to those of Dalton, they are pretty much the same - with Dalton having inferior talent.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
I like Goldman but I would have waited until offseason even if it meant paying a little more

Want to see another healthy year from him first
Goldman is a certified G, they were trying to lock him down all off-season and now have to now that they got the MACK. Not too hard to understand if you take a half of a second to actually think about it.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
Goldman is not elite talent and was MIA last night after his big payday

Bears had no reason to rush to give him this contract
Re-watch the game, Goldman was a BEAST and got held on most plays but cleaned up a lot of trash. MIA? more like "LOL" watch it again, other teams will get those holds called, watch and learn.

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
Re-watch the game, Goldman was a BEAST and got held on most plays but cleaned up a lot of trash. MIA? more like "LOL" watch it again, other teams will get those holds called, watch and learn.

I think Goldman did have a pretty good game in the 2nd half when Mack was MIA.

Even though you are 100% wrong with your excruciating criticism of Trubisky, you are spot on with Goldman observations.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
I think Goldman did have a pretty good game in the 2nd half when Mack was MIA.

Even though you are 100% wrong with your excruciating criticism of Trubisky, you are spot on with Goldman observations.
Trubisky Fanbois like you will probably want to extend him the first time he puts together 4 consecutive quarters of just okay footballing, but at least you know that Goldman is worth the money he's getting paid and literally would create a void if he went un-signed. I don't even know what this other genius is talking about him not being "ELITE" he's a tackle F*S and does his job consistently well above average and is still developing, no need to criticize the man for doing everything he's asked to do just because he's not a top3 DT...

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He's not criticizing Goldman the player. He's criticizing the contract which is fair because he only played 43% of the defensive snaps last night.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
You pay the talent not the snaps.

You don't see an issue with paying a guy 10 mil a year that is a Nose Tackle and doesn't play at least 70% of all defensive snaps or push the pocket consistently? Can he get better? Sure but he pretty much is what he is. A stout two down run defender. There is value in that but the NFL is a sub package league. Especially on the D-line where every team is looking at the Philadelphia model of pass rushers everywhere.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
You don't see an issue with paying a guy 10 mil a year that is a Nose Tackle and doesn't play at least 70% of all defensive snaps or push the pocket consistently? Can he get better? Sure but he pretty much is what he is. A stout two down run defender. There is value in that but the NFL is a sub package league. Especially on the D-line where every team is looking at the Philadelphia model of pass rushers everywhere.
It's not my money

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
Thought you wanted to talk X's and O's bro?
I'm literally not your bro old man. But if you want to try to talk limited snaps he got 44 tackles last season on limited snaps so I think the snaps are worth every single dollar of his contract that they were obviously commited to giving him and trying to get him right after last year ended.

Thanks!

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
My head hurts from this debate.

You pay the talent AND the snaps, you imbecile.
Then I guess when Rodgers is IR'd yet again they are just playing for the talent? I guess you are right and I am wrong....

PS no need for the name-calling. It is actually pretty boring and makes you look like some sort of want-to-be tough guy

PPS you are literally hiding behind a keyboard.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yes. Now go away.

Also comparing a player who at 100% health plays only 60% to a guy who plays 100% of the time but ended up getting hurt on a freak play is in no way nonsensical.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Interesting tidbit I saw the other day.

If you remove Matt Ryans MVP season and compare his career to stats to those of Dalton, they are pretty much the same - with Dalton having inferior talent.

In Dalton's best season 2015 he had AJG, Eifert, Marvin Jones, Bernard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad