NFL: 2018 NFL News & Notes discussion thread

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
That is the right call. He played the best and he gets rid of the ball much faster than Allen and Mccarron.

Plus the first few games could be ugly so you protect Allen from getting beat up. It will be interesting to see when he actually does start though. This year's schedule is defense / pass rush heavy.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Couple of interesting roster notes from the teams I follow closely.

The Cowboys are keeping 4 TEs on their 53 man roster. Most every team only keeps three healthy TEs on the roster unless they use one of those TEs as a dual service TE/FB. The suspicion is the Cowboys are keeping Geoff Swaim, Blake Jarwin, Dalton Schultz, and Rico Gathers because they aren't overly excited about any of them and still don't really know what they have.

After the latest round of cuts and waiver claims, the Browns have now changed over 31 of their 53 players from last season. Every new GM wants to put their stamp on a team, but this is pretty interesting considering how the Browns spent all of Sashi Brown's time as GM cutting vets and filling the roster with drafted players. Dorsey hasn't been GM for even a year, and he's already cut a number of Sashi Brown's drafted players. Hell, I'll just go down Sashi Brown's drafts. The names in bolded italics are no longer Browns. The 2016 draft was a disaster and is a big reason why they went 1-31 during Brown's tenure as GM, but Brown did a lot better with the top end of the 2017 draft.

1 Myles Garrett DE - starter and AMAZING
1 Jabrill Peppers S - starter and should be good
1 David Njoku TE - starter and showing promise
2 DeShone Kizer QB – traded to GB
3 Larry Ogunjobi DT - starter on the d line
4 Howard Wilson CB – on IR but they like him
5 Roderick Johnson T – waived in June
6 Caleb Brantley DT – waived on Saturday
7 Zane Gonzalez K - the kicker
7 Matthew Dayes RB – waived on Saturday

2016 (traded down instead of drafting Wentz)
1 Corey Coleman WR – waived a few weeks ago
2 Emmanuel Ogbah DE - starter at end and they love him
3 Carl Nassib DE – waived on Saturday
3 Shon Coleman T – traded for 7th rounder
3 Cody Kessler QB – traded for 7th rounder
4 Joe Schobert OLB - starting MLB and they love him
4 Ricardo Louis WR – on IR but will be cut when healthy
4 Derrick Kindred S - backup safety
4 Seth Devalve TE - backup TE
5 Jordan Payton WR – waived last season
5 Spencer Drango G – waived on Saturday
5 Rashard Higgins WR - backup WR
5 Trey Caldwell 173 – waived last season
7 Scooby Wright ILB – Arizona stole him off Cleveland’s practice squad

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Day 3 picks are no way a lock for the team 2 years later. A couple of 3rd rounders have been cut from other teams after 1 year. Raiders have dumped a pair of former 2nd round picks still on their rookie deals.

You stockpile picks and hope that a couple of the day 3 guys hit. At least be depth guys in the form of backups or solid ST guys.

No surprise that 4 or more day 3 picks have gotten the ax. That’s why the average NFL career is under 4 years.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I wanna say he's not wrong, but i can't help but feel like that criticism is not based on fact and instead race.

We've all seen it. Tomlin has a hard time keeping that team focused on what's in front of them and motivated. A smart coach would have ran his team's guts out the way they ranted about how they want a piece of New England before even actually assuring a rematch with them, ESPECIALLY considering Jacksonville kicked the crap out of them earlier in the regular season.

But to say the guy's not a good coach? Please. The Steelers have never finished under 500 in his tenure, went to 2 super bowls, 3 AFC title games and made the playoffs 6 out of 9 seasons. That's not bad.

I've been more under the impression that Tomlin's style has simply worn out in Pittsburgh rather than him being a bad coach.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Day 3 picks are no way a lock for the team 2 years later. A couple of 3rd rounders have been cut from other teams after 1 year. Raiders have dumped a pair of former 2nd round picks still on their rookie deals.

You stockpile picks and hope that a couple of the day 3 guys hit. At least be depth guys in the form of backups or solid ST guys.

No surprise that 4 or more day 3 picks have gotten the ax. That’s why the average NFL career is under 4 years.
I’m more focused on the fact that over two drafts Brown’s Browns whiffed on a 1st, 2nd, and three 3rds. All five of those guys were drafted, given playing time, and just weren’t very good.

I included the later picks for the heck of it.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The Browns are the case study why you don't chase QBs in the late 1st to early 3rd round. Just trade into the top ten and get your guy and then hope for the best. Kizer, Kessler, Weeden, Manziel.. such a waste.
I can’t like this enough.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The Browns are the case study why you don't chase QBs in the late 1st to early 3rd round. Just trade into the top ten and get your guy and then hope for the best. Kizer, Kessler, Weeden, Manziel.. such a waste.

Pretty much.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I wanna say he's not wrong, but i can't help but feel like that criticism is not based on fact and instead race..

Are you calling Terry Bradshaw a racist?

Tomlin looked pretty good taking over for Cowher and won a SB. Since then he has had many questionable coaching performances including losing a SB that many felt Steelers should have won and several playoff flameouts

Many Steeler fans here and on other sites have been down on him for several years now and have said they would welcome change

2008 was a longtime ago. We have seen in baseball how Mike Scioscia had managed to continually hang on thru years based on 2002

Sometimes change is needed

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Mike Tomlin's loyalty to his defensive staff will be his downfall. Which is a shame because I think he's a pretty good coach. I will warn Steeler fans that the grass isn't always greener.

Reactions: m9

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It was a rather meh year watching experience

I honestly have enjoyed both Bengals seasons on Hard Knocks the most to be honest

The way organization is run and some of the storylines/personalities were interesting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->