NFL: 2018 NFL News & Notes discussion thread

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I agree with you
I think Eli is/was a good QB with two amazing playoff runs [15 tds, 2 ints, with 4 4th quarter comebacks and 5 game winning drives in those two runs]. He's a gamer and a good leader who played his best in the biggest spots [top 10 all time in game winning drives-everyone else there is either in the HOF or soon to be there], unlike Rivers who has played poorly in the playoffs and hasn't been there since 2013. He's a HOFer for me, and I'm an Eagles fan.

Reactions: Voight

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
...I wouldn't go that far.
Marino and Rivers both put up big numbers for their era and never won the Super Bowl. Rivers is a 7 x Pro Bowler, 6th on the all time passing TD list with 363, 52,800 passing yards, a 95.7 QB rating, and a 64.4 Completion %. Why is Marino better?

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I agree with you
I think Eli is/was a good QB with two amazing playoff runs [15 tds, 2 ints, with 4 4th quarter comebacks and 5 game winning drives in those two runs]. He's a gamer and a good leader who played his best in the biggest spots [top 10 all time in game winning drives-everyone else there is either in the HOF or soon to be there], unlike Rivers who has played poorly in the playoffs and hasn't been there since 2013. He's a HOFer for me, and I'm an Eagles fan.

Agreed - Rivers has been very disappointing in the playoffs, especially 2006-2008 when he had prime LD & Gates.

& luck or not, Eli has two of the most memorable throws in NFL history.

Marino and Rivers both put up big numbers for their era and never won the Super Bowl. Rivers is a 7 x Pro Bowler, 6th on the all time passing TD list with 363, 52,800 passing yards, a 95.7 QB rating, and a 64.4 Completion %. Why is Marino better?

I don't think anyone has ever associated Rivers with putting up big numbers for his era... that would be guys like Brees, Brady and P Manning. Rivers led the league in passing yards once, never came close to 40 TD's, closest he came to 5,000 YDs was 200 yards off.

Marino on the other hand is a 3x first team All-Pro, 4x 2nd team all-pro, MVP, OPOY, threw for 5K yards when that was unimaginable, led in completions 6 times, led in passing yards 5 times and threw for 40 TD's twice (48 & 44) which was an even bigger accomplishment back then.

They only thing they have in common is their lack of a championship ring but at least Marino made it to the big dance.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He never had the defenses Eli had, his best teams were coached by Norv freaking Turner and then theres the Marlon McCree fiasco.

Actually Phil had better defenses most of his career in SD then Eli has had in NY

Also when it comes to the SB teams

During Eli's first SB year the D ranked 17th in pts and 7th in yds
During Eli's 2nd SB year the D ranked 25th in pts and 27th in yds

This "Great D" narrative doesn't hold up

Reactions: mmvvpp and Voight

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Actually Phil had better defenses most of his career in SD then Eli has had in NY

Also when it comes to the SB teams

During Eli's first SB year the D ranked 17th in pts and 7th in yds
During Eli's 2nd SB year the D ranked 25th in pts and 27th in yds

This "Great D" narrative doesn't hold up

It would be disingenuous to make that conclusion based on the regular season performances of those defenses only. How did they do in the playoffs?

I don't have numbers in front of me, but my recollection is those defenses were crazy dominant in the playoffs.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Agreed - Rivers has been very disappointing in the playoffs, especially 2006-2008 when he had prime LD & Gates.

& luck or not, Eli has two of the most memorable throws in NFL history.

I don't think anyone has ever associated Rivers with putting up big numbers for his era... that would be guys like Brees, Brady and P Manning. Rivers led the league in passing yards once, never came close to 40 TD's, closest he came to 5,000 YDs was 200 yards off.

Marino on the other hand is a 3x first team All-Pro, 4x 2nd team all-pro, MVP, OPOY, threw for 5K yards when that was unimaginable, led in completions 6 times, led in passing yards 5 times and threw for 40 TD's twice (48 & 44) which was an even bigger accomplishment back then.

They only thing they have in common is their lack of a championship ring but at least Marino made it to the big dance.

Two most memorable throws? You mean his receivers made two catches that defied logic. He's a fraud that won his rings because of the defensive line that carried them.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Two most memorable throws? You mean his receivers made two catches that defied logic. He's a fraud that won his rings because of the defensive line that carried them.

Tyree made an amazing catch but I think you are forgetting Eli pulling himself away from the defence and then throwing it as the other half of the defence came charging at him.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Mayfield should be the starter for sure. The Browns are playing decent this yr. Stick with what's working and Mayfield.

thats-my-quarterback.jpg

Reactions: Il Mediano

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
This is a joke, right?

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
WTF is point of playing RGIII?

Put in the kid you used 1st round pick on who is supposed to be future of franchise
Word is Harbaugh and the Ravens are mutually parting ways after the year, so I doubt Harbaugh gives a damn about Jackson and the future and just wants to win now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Word is Harbaugh and the Ravens are mutually parting ways after the year, so I doubt Harbaugh gives a damn about Jackson and the future and just wants to win now.
Ravens are 4-5, a game behind WC2 spot. Indy is 4-5, while Miami, Tenn, and Cincy are 5-4.

I get trying to win now. If he felt Jackson gave him the best chance to win he’d play the kid.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Ravens are 4-5, a game behind WC2 spot. Indy is 4-5, while Miami, Tenn, and Cincy are 5-4.

I get trying to win now. If he felt Jackson gave him the best chance to win he’d play the kid.
That's pretty much my point. He has seen Jackson every day and has (likely) decided Griffin gives them the best shot right now over Jackson (assuming Flacco doesn't start). Whether he's right or not remains to be seen. He's not looking 5-10 years from now.

Reactions: m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad