NFL: 2018 NFL News & Notes discussion thread

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah that 49ers/Packers game on Monday will be bad. Aaron vs. C.J. Could be a big win for the Packers.
What do you mean could?

Sf was done as soon as Jimmy G became Jimmy knee. Now everyone else needs a walking boot just to get to the field.

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
I’m thinking it’s time for the Bengals to make a big boy trade to really push us over the top. We’ve stock piled enough young talent over the last few years that we can afford to give up a high pick or two. Ideally we’d target someone good at stopping the run.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

For the love of whomever your higher power happens to be, please extend this man RIGHT NOW.
Should have been done last year and at the rate he's going, the price will go up after every game.

And Jarran Reed, too.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
why are the bengals such a good team this year

They weren't as bad as they looked last year. Injuries, their offensive line being garbage were the primary factor of them finishing how they did.

The invested into the o-line. Getting Cordy Glenn to help solidify the left side in combo with Bill Lazor's adaptive playcalling (really using some of the weapons he has at his disposal like the backfield combo of Mixon/Bernard) has largely cleaned up a lot of the errs in what was easily their weakest unit last year.

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
why are the bengals such a good team this year
We still have a lot to work on, but overhauling the coaching staff (minus Marvin), trading for Cordy Glenn and drafting Billy Price, and Dalton getting to know Bill Lazor’s scheme really helped improve the offense. Hiring Frank Pollack and Alex Van Pelt were the two biggest moves in the offseason imo. Oline is actually giving Dalton time to throw this year and he’s really been showing what he did in 2015 before he got hurt.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It's a good thing the org isn't as short-sighted as those who think he should be gone due to his wc game record.

No one else would have held it together this long facing what he's had to face.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
This is awful. From out of nowhere...I was of the belief that he'd had a relapse but it would go like it did last time.
He will be missed by so many because he did good for so many. He was a quieter sort of genius. An original computer nerd.
Despite the fact that his wealth towered over any other NFL owner, dude was wise and reserved especially compared to some coked up, spurs a-janglin' douchebags I can think of.

We wouldn't still have a team without him and every Seahawks fan knows it. Every time I saw posts of other team's fans complaining about how cheap or inept their owner is, I think about how good we have had it.
Thanks for everything, Mr. Allen.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd be willing to bet Allen was likely fighting the cancer long before the announcement was made and the announcement is like "welp, let's put this out so when i die in the next little bit people will know why"

The most sobering thing i read on his plight is the fact how even though he was rich as **** and how we all assume they have better care then the rest of us, cancer still took him away from this world. Cancer doesn't give a damn and it's scary.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I've always said he should be a full time GM.

he isn't a good gameday coach but considering how small scouting staff bengals have and they don't use any independent scouting services (only NFL team not to?), barely sign any FAs, have cheap owner/GM who is also stupidly stubborn (not trading chad Johnson for two #1s back in '08), they have built some pretty damn good teams.

not sure if the insistence of giving way too many chances for failed high picks comes from marvin or brown. not playing justin smith inside was pretty bad as well but i don't think there are many occurences where their former players start playing lot better after leaving cinci.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Lewis comes across as a good guy but the lack of playoff success hurts him. The Bengals are doing well thus far but until they win in January people will call for Lewis to be fired, I think this might be the year that happens.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I'd be willing to bet Allen was likely fighting the cancer long before the announcement was made and the announcement is like "welp, let's put this out so when i die in the next little bit people will know why"

The most sobering thing i read on his plight is the fact how even though he was rich as **** and how we all assume they have better care then the rest of us, cancer still took him away from this world. Cancer doesn't give a damn and it's scary.

I think so too...the end was near and nobody outside his inner circle even knew.

Now comes the anxious business of waiting to see who will be the next owner, if his sister doesn't want to take the reins.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
he isn't a good gameday coach but considering how small scouting staff bengals have and they don't use any independent scouting services (only NFL team not to?), barely sign any FAs, have cheap owner/GM who is also stupidly stubborn (not trading chad Johnson for two #1s back in '08), they have built some pretty damn good teams.

not sure if the insistence of giving way too many chances for failed high picks comes from marvin or brown. not playing justin smith inside was pretty bad as well but i don't think there are many occurences where their former players start playing lot better after leaving cinci.

Can't find the stat after a quick search, but I read something the other day that said the Bengals have the most picks still playing in the NFL, by a decent margin too. regardless of their scouting situation, over the last 10 years they've done a great job of drafting NFL talent. Also, the "Mike Brown is cheap" narrative is a little dated these days as they've done a really solid job of locking up and/or extending their top end talent.

Hit the nail on the head about Marvin though, he's an awful game day coach and really just not a winner when it counts.

Also, regarding the Bengal's success, i'll take it to my grave that Andy Dalton is criminally underrated. Its easy and obvious to look at his playoff breakdowns, but in my opinion, his biggest fault is not being immune to the Marvin Lewis effect.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
Lewis comes across as a good guy but the lack of playoff success hurts him. The Bengals are doing well thus far but until they win in January people will call for Lewis to be fired, I think this might be the year that happens.

I don't think he'll ever be fired. I think he'll walk away at end of this current contact (after next season). My guess is they already have a handshake agreement in place with Teryl Austin to take over when that happens (assuming the defense gets their stuff together)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad