GDT: 2018 NFL Draft

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
View attachment 117213

Come on Browns, don't get cute.
Can't remember if I posted this here. I went back through the list of their QBs and picks.

This is my summary of all of the multi-game starters who played after Tim Couch was drafted and summarizes where they came from. This list covers 17 years of QBs.

Pederson - veteran free agent
Wynn - 6th round pick
Holcomb - backup free agent
Garcia - veteran free agent
McCown - 4th round pick
Dilfer - veteran free agent
Frye - 3rd round pick
Anderson - picked up off of waivers; former 6th round pick
Quinn - 1st round pick; 22nd overall
McCoy - 3rd round pick
Delhomme - veteran free agent on his last legs
Wallace - acquired via trade of a 7th round pick; former 4th round pick
Weeden - 1st round pick; 22nd overall
Campbell - free agent veteran backup
Hoyer - signed off the free agent garbage heap
Manziel - 1st round pick; 22nd overall
McCown - free agent spare
RGIII - free agent reclamation project
Kessler - 3rd round pick
Kizer - 2nd round pick
Hogan - Picked up off the Kansas City practice squad - former 5th round pick
Also worth noting: McCarron - tried to trade for him - former 5th round pick

In other words, a team that has been desperate for a QB for almost 20 years has never spent more than a 22nd overall pick on one. That's despite passing on QBs with the following high first round picks #1 (2017), #2 (2016), #3 (2005, 2007, and 2012), #4 (2014), #5 (2009), #6 (2011 and 2013), #7 (2004 and 2010), and #12 (2006 and 2017). They traded down in 2009, 2011, 2014, and 2016 to avoid taking QBs. Their QB problems are self created by GM after GM getting cute.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Except the racist part.

And, him not having the mind or thought to purge his social media at some point. That's more on his agent/camp though.

red flags.

There's no proof any of that stuff is racist. It's already been shown that the "white" part is him quoting a TV show. Lots of the other stuff is just him talking to his friends when he was in high school. Obviously he needs to be a bit smarter with social media, but that's about it.

Matt Hasselbeck is a Lamar Jackson truther. Bill Polian needs to get off tv and retire. Embarrasing.

It's kind of sad that they still allow Polian on TV and radio. They need to pull him for his his own benefit. This isn't an ageist thing either - I listen to Gil Brandt on NFL Radio all the time and he's nowhere near as bad as Polian who is completely out of touch.

What advantage does throwing a smokescreen up at 1 really do? Is it trying to bait a team that loves Baker Mayfield to trade up to 1?

I know some other people commented above, but I also think Dorsey wanted to find out if there were any leaks in the organization. You already are kind of seeing it as the rumor is Hue Jackson found out it was Mayfield within the last two days and now suddenly the word is out..

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I saw Rapoport mention that DJ Moore is going to be a hot name tonight. I thought about Moore vs the 3 guys that went in the top ten last year, and I think Moore could be a surprise in the top 10. He's a better prospect than Ross or Williams last year. I would love to see him on the 49ers at #9, though I know they have other needs.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Good lord that man's a giant. He'd have to tank people off to the side in a hurry, so Russ gets a view of the field.
Heard Troy Aikman this morning. He said size is overrated for QBs. I’d never heard him say it before, but he said no QB sees over the line. He was 6’ 4”, and said he couldn’t see over the line. He described it as looking through windows, and he thought any QB over six feet would be fine. One thing he pointed out was how we’ve never seen guys over 6’ 6” do well. If height was such an asset, why don’t they do so much better?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

How is that any worse than say Josh Allen going #1 based on physical ability alone? That would be like drafting Kyle Boller first overall. At least Mayfield has showed he can play QB at a high level in college.

I wouldn't take Allen either first overall. Honestly, I would not touch any of these QB's first overall in CLE's position. Take whoever you like best from the other positions (Chubb? Smith? The guard?) and perhaps take a QB at 4. Even then, I'd consider a small trade down from 4 and grab a QB later.

Mayfield lacks size, is not very athletic and played in a funky offence.

We shall see. Rapsheet said earlier today that a GM close with Dorsey said there's no way he is taking Mayfield.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I wouldn't take Allen either first overall. Honestly, I would not touch any of these QB's first overall.

Mayfield lacks size, is not very athletic and played in a funky offence.

You mean that offense that every OC/QB coach that worked him out wanted to know more about? Lincoln Riley will be in the NFL in 5 years. His offensive mind is one of the best in football. You should really research stuff like that. Offense is all about spacing, creating conflict for the defenders and match ups.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Funky was not meant in a bad way there. My point is Mayfield was in a rather unique situation. Not a typical NFL offence.

funk·y1
ˈfəNGkē/
adjective
informal
adjective: funky; comparative adjective: funkier; superlative adjective: funkiest
  1. 1.
    (of music) having or using a strong dance rhythm, in particular that of funk.
    "some excellent funky beats"
    synonyms:groovy, bluesy, jazzy, syncopated
    "Shannah liked funky music"
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
    • modern and stylish in an unconventional or striking way.
      "she likes wearing funky clothes"
      synonyms:cool, trendy, fashionable, hip, fly, stylish, supercool
      "funky clothing"
      [TBODY] [/TBODY]

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Funky was not meant in a bad way.

funk·y1
ˈfəNGkē/
adjective
informal
adjective: funky; comparative adjective: funkier; superlative adjective: funkiest
  1. 1.
    (of music) having or using a strong dance rhythm, in particular that of funk.
    "some excellent funky beats"
    synonyms:groovy, bluesy, jazzy, syncopated
    "Shannah liked funky music"
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
    • modern and stylish in an unconventional or striking way.
      "she likes wearing funky clothes"
      synonyms:cool, trendy, fashionable, hip, fly, stylish, supercool
      "funky clothing"
      [TBODY] [/TBODY]

Oklahoma's scheme translates better than Wyoming.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Heard Troy Aikman this morning. He said size is overrated for QBs. I’d never heard him say it before, but he said no QB sees over the line. He was 6’ 4”, and said he couldn’t see over the line. He described it as looking through windows, and he thought any QB over six feet would be fine. One thing he pointed out was how we’ve never seen guys over 6’ 6” do well. If height was such an asset, why don’t they do so much better?

99.9% of the adult male US population is under 6'6. Out of that, how many great QB's does Aikman expect to find? For comparison, about 10% is over 6'0.. so a much, much larger pool.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
One thing that always puzzles me about the NFL draft.

I mean obviously you need a good QB to win the Superbowl. It's rare that a team without a good QB wins the Superbowl.

But in a draft like this, where there is no clear Andrew Luck like talent.. wouldn't you be better off using the picks on more valuable positional players, understand you're likely going to be troubled again but at least maybe you get a shot at a true franchise changing talent in a future year?

Reaches for Tannehill, Bortles, Ponder, Manuel, etc. have not really proved very fruitful.
The big 5 from this year's draft are all higher touted prospects than all of those, with the exception of Bortles. Ponder and Manuel were known reaches at the time and The Vikings and Bills were ridiculed from the moment they made the pick.

I will say this, I hope the Broncos draft Allen at 5 though. He has bust written all over him and I'd love that franchise to be set back a few years. Only thing better than them drafting Allen at 5 would them moving up and drafting him at 2.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Collecting some more assets by trading back would help with my ideal scenario of walking away with a potential day one starter on the OL and a good pass rusher like Hurst, assuming he's medically cleared. They'd have a high 2nd round pick and would be able to use those extra assets to move up from 62.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad