NFL GDT: 2018 NFC Championship Game: (1) New Orleans Saints vs (2) Los Angeles Rams

nolar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
What I don't accept is bootstraps and "overcoming adversity" talk in the face of such egregiously bad officiating.

What did you say after the NFC Championship Game in 2009? There were a handful of awful calls that went the Saints way. Should have been the Vikings in the Superbowl that year. Far worse then this instance where one call was made, the Saints benefited from MULTIPLE bad or missed calls.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Until it happens to their team. Which it will, eventually.
it's happened to plenty of teams
probably the majority of the teams in the league
some have been famous (go ahead and mention the tuck rule to a Raiders fan) and some not so famous (Giants and 49ers in the 2003 playoffs)

Reactions: David Suzuki

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
What did you say after the NFC Championship Game in 2009? There were a handful of awful calls that went the Saints way. Should have been the Vikings in the Superbowl that year. Far worse then this instance where one call was made, the Saints benefited from MULTIPLE bad or missed calls.

The only really bad call was the phantom pass interference but that was on a first down if I'm not mistaken. The others were close enough to be debatable and could have gone either way. There was nothing nearly as bad in that game as the call in this one.

And Vikings fans have been going on about that for NINE YEARS NOW and still are to this day. So don't sit around telling me how Saints fans have suddenly sunk to some new low of fandom. I can promise you we'll be over it in 9 years.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Your reply to my initial response to Watson’s statement makes it appear as though it’s not the case.

I am not responsible for your assumptions. You wanted to lash out at the Saints so you did. Semi-understandable since I'm sure you're tired of hearing about how "the wrong team is going to the SB" nad blah blah. But Watson's statement was not one of being a sore loser; what you said was a complete misrespresentation. His statement was about holding the commissioner and the league office to accountability. Ben Watson is not a loser. He's one of the most respected players in the league.

How about instead of attacking me you tell me what the letter a statement to Goodell is gonna do? Have him say “yeah, we ****ed up, sorry”?

Yes! That would be better than the absolute nothing he's done so far. You'd be surprised at the things people can forgive with a simple "Hey, I screwed up."

Last edited:

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
There was nothing nearly as bad in that game as the call in this one.

It doesn't matter how bad of a call is missed. It makes no difference. A bad call is a bad call. A missed call is a missed call. No sin is worse then any other in the context of officiating.

And Vikings fans have been going on about that for NINE YEARS NOW and still are to this day. So don't sit around telling me how Saints fans have suddenly sunk to some new low of fandom. I can promise you we'll be over it in 9 years.

And yet Vikings fans almost universally crticized parts of their team that day. Saints fans focus on one missed call and are letting Brees and Payton off the hook for their choke job. A historic choke job really. One of the worst at home in Championship history.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
It doesn't matter how bad of a call is missed. It makes no difference. A bad call is a bad call. A missed call is a missed call. No sin is worse then any other in the context of officiating.

And yet Vikings fans almost universally crticized parts of their team that day. Saints fans focus on one missed call and are letting Brees and Payton off the hook for their choke job. A historic choke job really. One of the worst at home in Championship history.

But it's not JUST Saints fans. It's pretty much everyone in the media and their mother. :laugh:

It was actually two missed calls on one play which makes it even worse. They were pretty obvious, even in real time. You didn't have to slow it down frame by frame to see if there was something illegal.

Could Payton of called a better game, especially second half? Absolutely. People don't even mention the Rams fake punt that worked early in the 2nd Q. This was a team known to pull that play off all season. Saints should of been better prepared for that. You snuff that one out and at 13 with the ball just outside the Rams 20, it could of been game over at that point.

Payton has always been cute with his play calling and situational coaching in games, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. For the most part this past Sunday, it didn't.

Historic choke job? That's funny. It was 13-0 end of 1st Q and by halftime it was 13-10. I think at one point midway through the 3rd Q it was 20-10 but credit to the Rams, they immediately answered that with a TD of their own to make it 20-17. Aside from Q1, it was a closely fought contest.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Which Rams player was the one who says that they didn't deserve to be in the SB?
I know it wasn't that Coleman kid.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If someone went to Schefter with something like that, it’s sonething they want out there. Is it a big deal? We’ll probably forget it by the end of the week. Unless ESPN wants to make it a thing.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Your very wrong

Thank you for posting this video, it largely confirms exactly what I said; that all the calls that went in the Saints favor were borderline calls that could've reasonably gone either way and therefore were not egregious errors - with the exception of the pass interference, which I already mentioned and was not particularly game-changing since it came on an early down.

The high-low....ehhh. The game was called a lot differently then. I don't think that call gets made in any playoff game prior to that season. It may not even get called prior to say 2016 when the league really started cracking down. In those days, that was a regular season call that gets shelved for the playoffs.

Also: "you're"

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I have no horse in this race, but I would love to see a ruling against the NFL just for ****s and giggles.

Nobody expects to win or get anything out of it. A couple of local attorneys get their name in the news and they keep the story in the news cycle so it keeps embarrassing the league. That's the only real motive.

Reactions: Shockmaster

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I was not very encouraged by the commissioners press conference. They admit the refs messed up yet they aren't intent on making systematic changes.
Despite fan, media and team outrage they wait almost two weeks before a statement is made by the NFL commissioner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad