NFL GDT: 2018 NFC Championship Game: (1) New Orleans Saints vs (2) Los Angeles Rams

nolar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think the idea to some degree is to keep it in the news cycle. At least that’s what some of the papers are going with.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
That's exactly what it's about but of course people will use it as an excuse to make fun of Saints fans for being "losers" or "stupid" and other hot take bullshit. Meanwhile, you can probably find examples of lawsuits from Steelers fans, Vikings fans, Packers fans, and everybody else if you look far enough, and Atlantic City started refunding people's bets.

But people would rather point and laugh.

Until it happens to their team. Which it will, eventually.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
That's exactly what it's about but of course people will use it as an excuse to make fun of Saints fans for being "losers" or "stupid" and other hot take bull****. Meanwhile, you can probably find examples of lawsuits from Steelers fans, Vikings fans, Packers fans, and everybody else if you look far enough, and Atlantic City started refunding people's bets.

But people would rather point and laugh.

Until it happens to their team. Which it will, eventually.

It's only 2 Saints fans out of hundreds of thousands so people shouldn't generalize .

Saints fans have a reason to be pissed because this was an obvious blatant call but..those 2 guys claiming they suffered emotional distress , mental anguish and loss of enjoyment of life is going full Pejorative Slur and waaayyyyy over the top.

I mean cmon....this is both hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

Reactions: Memento

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

What a sore loser

So you are content that the commissioner does nothing to address this and won't even issue a statement.

You are why the NFL's product continues to deteriorate. Because you're OK with anything wrong that happens, as long as it doesn't happen to your team. As long as you get to call somebody a "whiner" or a "sore loser."

But it will happen to your team someday, and you'll be left sitting wondering how this could happen.

Don't say you weren't warned.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
TBH my only wish for this Super Bowl is that there's another horrible call that screws over one of the teams in such a way that the NFL can't continue to ignore this problem and hope it goes away.

I don't even care which team. I'd prefer it to be the Rams since the Patriots have been screwed over by the league enough, but either one will be fine.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
So you are content that the commissioner does nothing to address this and won't even issue a statement.

You are why the NFL's product continues to deteriorate. Because you're OK with anything wrong that happens, as long as it doesn't happen to your team. As long as you get to call somebody a "whiner" or a "sore loser."

But it will happen to your team someday, and you'll be left sitting wondering how this could happen.

Don't say you weren't warned.
The Saints had a 13-0 lead at one point. I don’t have any sympathy for them not being able to hold onto it and close the game.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The Saints had a 13-0 lead at one point. I don’t have any sympathy for them not being able to hold onto it and close the game.

You sound like Andrew Whitworth, who's all over the Twitters and the radio shows saying the Saints are making "excuses" and they should just "deal with adversity."

But yet, in 2016:

Andrew Whitworth has interesting NFL Combine plans

Whitworth may be the Bengals’ best offensive linemen, but he’s also one of their most penalized. In 2016, Whitworth was flagged seven times, the most of any Bengal on offense. One of those was a critical false start penalty in Week 12 vs the Ravens. The penalty came with Cincinnati deep in Baltimore territory trailing 19-9 with just over seven minutes left.
But a false start called on Whitworth helped stall the drive and lead to a short field goal to cut the lead to 19-12. The Bengals would again drive into the red zone in the final minutes, but Andy Dalton would be stripped sacked, thwarting the comeback attempt.
That penalty still irks Whitworth and rightfully so. It should have been an offside call on the Ravens, but was instead called a false start on Whitworth.
It’s clear Whitworth sees Terrell Suggs coming offside and jumps up to draw the flag, but the referee calls it on Whitworth instead. If anything, it looks like the ref could have flagged Boling, but nevertheless, it’s something that still bothers Whitworth. He’s hoping the NFL competition committee gives more transparency on rules regarding linemen and how to avoid these kinds of errors in the future.
“I’d love to see things the defensive line has to adjust to, because one of the glaring things from this year I see on film is how much you see referees and umpires get warnings from the side judges about tackles needing to scoot up on the ball,” Whitworth told Bengals.com. “But if you clip film, you see how many times defensive linemen are lining up past the football (on the offensive side of the line of scrimmage) with their helmets. It’s absurd how bad it has gotten.
“I kind of made that point (against) Baltimore when I got called for false starting and the guy is completely lined up past the football and jumps and they still called me for a false start, even though at no point before the snap or during the jump was he onside.”
Even fans sitting at home can see blatant offsides penalties missed on a routine basis, and it’s a mistake that an NFL referee doesn’t need to make. It cost the Bengals in that scenario, so you can see why Whitworth is calling for more transparency and consistency here.
“It’s crazy how bad that part of the game has gotten,” said Whitworth. “You can’t tell O-linemen to scoot up to the ball and have a D-lineman pass the ball. Both sides have to have the same rules. If we line up on the ball, they have to get off the ball, or just leave the guys alone. I’d love to hear them explain it.”

Where were his bootstraps then? What a hypocrite.

Just like him, I expect your tune will change when something like this happens to your team.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You sound like Andrew Whitworth, who's all over the Twitters and the radio shows saying the Saints are making "excuses" and they should just "deal with adversity."

But yet, in 2016:

Andrew Whitworth has interesting NFL Combine plans

Where were his bootstraps then? What a hypocrite.

Just like him, I expect your tune will change when something like this happens to your team.
You really can't accept the fact that your team gave the game away, and instead are just gonna resort to "Let's see how you like it when it happens to you!"? I don't bloody well care what Whitworth said. It's not relevant to this game. You guys gave the game away with your piss poor playcalling and Brees's OT interception. Everyone gets screwed by the refs. You guys aren't special.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
You really can't accept the fact that your team gave the game away, and instead are just gonna resort to "Let's see how you like it when it happens to you!"? I don't bloody well care what Whitworth said. It's not relevant to this game. You guys gave the game away with your piss poor playcalling and Brees's OT interception. Everyone gets screwed by the refs. You guys aren't special.

I accepted the loss. I said I was over it. I even said the Rams were the better team, if you can stop your trash talk and holier-than-thou bullshit long enough to look through this thread.

What I don't accept is bootstraps and "overcoming adversity" talk in the face of such egregiously bad officiating.

And you wouldn't accept it either. You're not any better or mentally tougher than anybody else just because you root for a different team. You just have the benefit of pretending you do because your team won and my team lost.

It will all come out in the wash.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Saints fans have a reason to be pissed because this was an obvious blatant call but..those 2 guys claiming they suffered emotional distress , mental anguish and loss of enjoyment of life is going full ****** and waaayyyyy over the top.

I mean cmon....this is both hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

Being a fan of a historically sad-sack team tends to turn one into a drama queen. (see Cubs fans)

We have more than our fair share, but it's no worse than anywhere else. Especially now with social media amplifying everything.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I accepted the loss. I said I was over it. I even said the Rams were the better team, if you can stop your trash talk and holier-than-thou bull**** long enough to look through this thread.

What I don't accept is bootstraps and "overcoming adversity" talk in the face of such egregiously bad officiating.

And you wouldn't accept it either. You're not any better or mentally tougher than anybody else just because you root for a different team. You just have the benefit of pretending you do because your team won and my team lost.

It will all come out in the wash.
Doubtful considering your responses to any comments on it.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
This game needs to be replayed. It's truly a black eye on the league. NFL gonna have to try hard to live this one down. Instead of replaying the entire game just start from that point in tine in the fourth quarter.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You're a moderator here, so I assume you're capable of reading. All you have to do is scroll up a little. It's not that hard.
Your reply to my initial response to Watson’s statement makes it appear as though it’s not the case. How about instead of attacking me you tell me what the letter a statement to Goodell is gonna do? Have him say “yeah, we f***ed up, sorry”?

Reactions: Memento

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

Should the commisioner have to make a statement after every bad call? Jesus get some perspective here folks. A bad call sucks. It especially sucks in a situation like that one. However, a bad call is a bad call. It didn't cause the Saints to lose the game. Good for Sean Payton, though. It's a perfect deflection to him getting out coached and Brees getting outplayed by Goff in the Superdome.

Reactions: Memento and mmvvpp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad