NCAA 2018 NCAA Basketball Offseason Thread

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Gonna be interesting to see what happens with the big recruits still out there and the grad transfers (well, all transfers). Hoping Mizzou lands Ramey and Ryan Turner and Jontay comes back. I also wouldn't hate if Pinson didn't sign and we add Mark Smith.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Gonna be interesting to see what happens with the big recruits still out there and the grad transfers (well, all transfers). Hoping Mizzou lands Ramey and Ryan Turner and Jontay comes back. I also wouldn't hate if Pinson didn't sign and we add Mark Smith.

What's the PG situation at Missouri? Will Smith be able to step in at PG in two years based on how things look now? That's one thing that went wrong at Illinois, which is really stupid.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What's the PG situation at Missouri? Will Smith be able to step in at PG in two years based on how things look now? That's one thing that went wrong at Illinois, which is really stupid.
As of now, certainly. We have Geist as our primary ball handler right now and are bringing in Pinson. In two years that could change, especially if we get Ramey and then there are a couple combo guard types, such as Mario McKinney, that we’re after. We’ve also been in on Rocket Watts and DJ Carton in 2019. I think McKinney is going to be a Tiger regardless, but Smith would definitely get minutes at PG even if we get Ramey.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
As of now, certainly. We have Geist as our primary ball handler right now and are bringing in Pinson. In two years that could change, especially if we get Ramey and then there are a couple combo guard types, such as Mario McKinney, that we’re after. We’ve also been in on Rocket Watts and DJ Carton in 2019. I think McKinney is going to be a Tiger regardless, but Smith would definitely get minutes at PG even if we get Ramey.

Alright, but he needs more get a few minutes. He wants to be the main man at PG, or you're going to have issues - or at least with his father. Smith's dad is a... not very pleasant dude.

It appears even Ramey's father agrees with me, seeing as he liked this tweet:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
That said, I'm excited for how Illinois's roster is shaping up. Next year is going to likely be even worse than last year, but Underwood has added some players in this class. If a few of the big guys currently on the roster and still be recruited pan out, then they should at least be an NCAA Tournament team in the near future. Kind of sad that's what my expectations have been downgraded to, but I will take it at this point. But yeah... next year is going to be tough for sure. So much youth. But hopefully that pays off in the long-term.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Missouri landed Mark Smith from Illinois. However, the Ramey saga continues. Smith thinks he can help Mizzou recruit Ramey and 2019 target EJ Liddell (who I think will be going to Mizzou). Rumors were that Ramey and Smith didn't want to play on the same team, but they played AAU together and I think could coexist. Getting both might hurt the chances of adding McKinney (another 2019 recruit), but I don't think it will too badly.

The Ramey saga is interesting because he released a top 10 - which is laughable at this stage of recruitment - and many teams then removed themselves either by taking a guard or explicitly, in the case of Louisville. However, Louisville then came back around and is visiting Ramey tomorrow. Texas was in yesterday. Missouri was in today. He has two official visits left, having taken one to Oklahoma State and Texas. It seems like these are the four teams left. I still think he ends up at Mizzou. He'll have a chance to play big minutes immediately and be surrounded by talent while being close to home.

Looking toward the 2019 recruiting class, it could be a haul for Mizzou. Major targets are Liddell, McKinney, Hargrove, Hall, Okoro, and Mosley, all of whom can be considered local and are top 175 guys. The first two are probably the biggest targets and I think are pretty solidly considering Mizzou - I would consider Mizzou the front runner for each. I'm realllllly high on Liddell. Illinois is obviously interested in a lot of these guys, as I'm sure @OhCaptainMyCaptain can attest, and were in home with Liddell yesterday. There's also talk of Okoro reclassifying to 2018 or else he'll need to go to a prep school because of his age. Oregon and Purdue are early front runners there, with Oregon receiving an official visit, although Illinois and Mizzou are both recruiting him hard.

They're also looking at Rocket Watts and DJ Carton as nonlocal guys. They're nominally making a pass at Wiseman who played BBE, but I think he ends up at Memphis, as he played high school ball and AAU (after leaving BBE) for Hardaway

To continue the theme, 2020 looks to be another solid year of local prospects - especially if you consider Sunrise Christian relatively local. Cam'Ron Fletcher and Caleb Love are the two big St. Louis guys and then there's a center at Sunrise Christian who's a top guy. Joshua Christopher is another name to watch as his cousin is the strength coach at Mizzou.

Anyway, that's your Mizzou basketball recruiting breakdown.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Missouri landed Mark Smith from Illinois. However, the Ramey saga continues. Smith thinks he can help Mizzou recruit Ramey and 2019 target EJ Liddell (who I think will be going to Mizzou). Rumors were that Ramey and Smith didn't want to play on the same team, but they played AAU together and I think could coexist. Getting both might hurt the chances of adding McKinney (another 2019 recruit), but I don't think it will too badly.

Does Ramey plan on playing mainly PG? If so, that's not going to work with Smith. One of Smith's biggest issues (or it sounds like it was his dad) with Underwood was that he didn't play Mark at PG, even though Illinois had a freshman PG that averaged 14.1 ppg, 4 apg, and 1.5 steals per game... but yeah, Smith should play PG. Lol. Sorry, so salty about that situation. Not that he left or went to Missouri, but hearing why his dad is so mad is freakin hilarious. Too funny, and sounds like a kid that's going to have a lot of issues wherever he goes, at least if he dad continues to be the same way. As for Ramey, my guess is that he ends up back at Louisville. I could be wrong, but I don't think it'll be Missouri. I've seen situations play out like that for Illinois as well, and it doesn't seem to end very well. But it's recruiting, so who knows lol, especially with a weird recruitment like that.

I know Illinois has Bryce Golden on an official visit this weekend, which would be a great pick-up. And they're still working on Okoro, and I think Illinois is in a better position than you indicate - though I agree that Oregon and Purdue are pretty tough to beat at this point.

Besides that, no idea on many 2019 targets. Things are going to change with the Liddell's of the world, so I really don't try to look too much into those recruitment yet. Not worth it considering how much his mind could change in the next month. I really don't even know that many more of the Illini targets in 2019 lol. Been so focused on school and football recruiting, I really haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the basketball side. Which is funny because Illinois basketball has a much better chance at being relevant than football, but whatever. We're a golf school anyway.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Does Ramey plan on playing mainly PG? If so, that's not going to work with Smith. One of Smith's biggest issues (or it sounds like it was his dad) with Underwood was that he didn't play Mark at PG, even though Illinois had a freshman PG that averaged 14.1 ppg, 4 apg, and 1.5 steals per game... but yeah, Smith should play PG. Lol. Sorry, so salty about that situation. Not that he left or went to Missouri, but hearing why his dad is so mad is freakin hilarious. Too funny, and sounds like a kid that's going to have a lot of issues wherever he goes, at least if he dad continues to be the same way. As for Ramey, my guess is that he ends up back at Louisville. I could be wrong, but I don't think it'll be Missouri. I've seen situations play out like that for Illinois as well, and it doesn't seem to end very well. But it's recruiting, so who knows lol, especially with a weird recruitment like that.

I know Illinois has Bryce Golden on an official visit this weekend, which would be a great pick-up. And they're still working on Okoro, and I think Illinois is in a better position than you indicate - though I agree that Oregon and Purdue are pretty tough to beat at this point.

Besides that, no idea on many 2019 targets. Things are going to change with the Liddell's of the world, so I really don't try to look too much into those recruitment yet. Not worth it considering how much his mind could change in the next month. I really don't even know that many more of the Illini targets in 2019 lol. Been so focused on school and football recruiting, I really haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the basketball side. Which is funny because Illinois basketball has a much better chance at being relevant than football, but whatever. We're a golf school anyway.
Women's Soccer school, tbh. Or at least I think they were.

I think the idea that Cuonzo is selling is that there wouldn't be a true lead guard, but that both guys would get a ton of the ball. The nice thing is that he can point to this past year as proof, because Geist and Robertson both got a lot of the ball. Smith also will be taking a year off, so who knows. Theoretically getting both could hurt the chances of landing McKinney, but that's for the future to worry about.

I do think Illinois is in a good position with Okoro, but I would say the same about Mizzou. Okoro has gone on record talking about Mizzou recruiting him, which is a good sign.

I could write a novel about Liddell, but I think Mizzou is in the pole position, although that could change. Not sure about Illinois targets beyond that. I like basketball recruiting better than football recruiting because I think it's easier to follow.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Women's Soccer school, tbh. Or at least I think they were.

I think the idea that Cuonzo is selling is that there wouldn't be a true lead guard, but that both guys would get a ton of the ball. The nice thing is that he can point to this past year as proof, because Geist and Robertson both got a lot of the ball. Smith also will be taking a year off, so who knows. Theoretically getting both could hurt the chances of landing McKinney, but that's for the future to worry about.

I do think Illinois is in a good position with Okoro, but I would say the same about Mizzou. Okoro has gone on record talking about Mizzou recruiting him, which is a good sign.

I could write a novel about Liddell, but I think Mizzou is in the pole position, although that could change. Not sure about Illinois targets beyond that. I like basketball recruiting better than football recruiting because I think it's easier to follow.

With Smith, Underwood could say the same thing. That's what made it so weird. They run an offense where there are many different guards, and they all get the ball. I don't totally understand why Smith was so set on just playing the PG position, because the other guards get plenty of action and get the chance to create and score on their own. But whatever. I am happy with the guards Illinois is bring in this year, so it doesn't matter much to me at this point. Just think it's weird.

Following the Okoro recruitment will be interesting. It seems like he definitely want to reclassify, but it will depend on what his tests scores are that he just took. Illinois will likely get a spring official visit with him, and they're going to need to knock it out of the park. Don't have my hopes up, but I think Illinois still has a chance, which is better than nothing.

You're right about basketball recruiting being easier to follow. But I think that's why I pay attention less. There is just not a lot going on sometimes, so it gets bit boring. There's just only so much that can happen. But with football, there are constant moving pieces and targets all over the place, which makes it more interesting to follow. Missed out on the DE prospect? Okay, cool... here are 4 more prospects to look at.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The Ramey saga is interesting because he released a top 10 - which is laughable at this stage of recruitment - and many teams then removed themselves either by taking a guard or explicitly, in the case of Louisville. However, Louisville then came back around and is visiting Ramey tomorrow. Texas was in yesterday. Missouri was in today. He has two official visits left, having taken one to Oklahoma State and Texas. It seems like these are the four teams left. I still think he ends up at Mizzou. He'll have a chance to play big minutes immediately and be surrounded by talent while being close to home.

giphy.gif

On a serious note, not really surprised. Well, kind of surprised he ended up at Texas, but not that he went somewhere else. That's nothing against Missouri, but I've seen recruitments like that play out for Illinois, and it typically never ends well.

Illinois has one target left in 2018, and that is Okoro. I think he will reclassify, and I think Illinois definitely has a shot... but that's all I really know at this point. I think they're in a better position than most assume, but that also doesn't mean I think he'll choose Illinois. I try not to assume things, because recruiting is just too difficult to get a feel on.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
If you haven’t heard already, here’s how it’s going to work: The league will keep an 18-game schedule, and play its first 14 games as normal. That means each team will play the other 13 CUSA teams once, plus its travel partner an additional time. After that, the remaining four games will have pre-determined dates, but matchups will be made based on the league standings at the time. That means the top five teams in the conference will play each other, teams 6-10 will do the same thing, and teams 11-14 after that.

As for the conference tournament, teams 1-5 in the standings after 14 games will be guaranteed no worse than the 5 seed, and teams 6-10 will be guaranteed no worse than the 10 seed. This helps ensure that top-tier teams don’t torpedo their tournament position because they lose a few tough games.

Conference USA is willing to do what it takes for multiple NCAA Tournament bids

Interesting...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Huh? The quality of play hasn’t been this good in the NBA since I was a little kid. Not only are the players more talented but the league has gotten better at developing young talent & there’s a focus on improving development paths for young talent. So even with HSers going straight into the league it won’t be the same as it was when we were young.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's McGill

You can still see how tight his handle has gotten, his touch around the rim, & how laterally quick he is. I’m still really skeptical about his shot’s release point, but I’m buying him as a perimeter defender and point forward. The kid has vision.

Nassir Little is still my dude, I mean just look at the release point on his pull up:

Little2X2.jpg

With his defensive intensity, length, athleticism, & b-ball IQ, I’d love to have him next to KP, Knox & Frank. But Zion looks like what I imagine a young Barkley looked like for those old enough to have watched him in his youth.

The kid is like Larry Johnson if grandmama could turn gravity off when he plays.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
If the draft age becomes 18, the quality of college could improve, because the smarter, more serious players will play 2-4 years of college ball.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If the draft age becomes 18, the quality of college could improve, because the smarter, more serious players will play 2-4 years of college ball.

I think we'll see a lot of players will just re-classify to play their 1 season of college ball a year earlier...unless Bazley & Robinson have so much success in the NBA that teams start to get FOMO with cases like them so intensely that prospects stop feeling like they need to show out in College to be top picks.

Although I could see a really entrepreneurial trainer developing a pre-NBA academy...kinda like the regional academies we have in germany for soccer...where the players could develop even more than they would in the NCAA or HS.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You can still see how tight his handle has gotten, his touch around the rim, & how laterally quick he is. I’m still really skeptical about his shot’s release point, but I’m buying him as a perimeter defender and point forward. The kid has vision.

Nassir Little is still my dude, I mean just look at the release point on his pull up:

Little2X2.jpg

With his defensive intensity, length, athleticism, & b-ball IQ, I’d love to have him next to KP, Knox & Frank. But Zion looks like what I imagine a young Barkley looked like for those old enough to have watched him in his youth.

The kid is like Larry Johnson if grandmama could turn gravity off when he plays.

no one looks like a young barkley.

Trainer to the GOATS, Tim Grover says Charles Barkely was most athletically gifted...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad