NBA 2018 NBA Draft

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
With or without Doncic I think Phoenix will be bad again next season. I can see them drafting Doncic who stays in Europe another season and Phoenix gets another top-3 pick.

Doncic has a relationship with the Suns coach so I wouldn't be shocked if that happened. I think that would work out well for the Kings since I think Ayton would be a slightly better fit for them. Doncic would also be a great fit for the Suns alongside Booker.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Just one guy's opinion but there's not a chance in Hell the Suns take Doncic over Ayton. Ayton is a potential generational talent. Guy has a combination of size and athleticism we haven't seen in years. Not to mention he's a very capable shooter. The kid is better at his age than Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson, etc. You just can't pass on a guy like that. He can learn how to defend a pick and roll. He guarded athletic guards beyond the three point line on switches and contained them. No one 7'1" 260 does that. Doncic has potential bust written all over him.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Just one guy's opinion but there's not a chance in Hell the Suns take Doncic over Ayton. Ayton is a potential generational talent. Guy has a combination of size and athleticism we haven't seen in years. Not to mention he's a very capable shooter. The kid is better at his age than Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson, etc. You just can't pass on a guy like that. He can learn how to defend a pick and roll. He guarded athletic guards beyond the three point line on switches and contained them. No one 7'1" 260 does that. Doncic has potential bust written all over him.
Doncic and Ayton are 1A and 1B. It’s all about positional need between them. Both are amazing prospects and both will be stars in this league

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Doncic and Ayton are 1A and 1B. It’s all about positional need between them. Both are amazing prospects and both will be stars in this league
Completely disagree but ultimately time will tell. There are reports that Doncic isn't the most stable guy mentally, his shot is just decent, average athleticism, and for such a supposed "great" passer what did he average like 5 assists a game? Ayton has the much higher floor and ceiling.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Completely disagree but ultimately time will tell. There are reports that Doncic isn't the most stable guy mentally, his shot is just decent, average athleticism, and for such a supposed "great" passer what did he average like 5 assists a game? Ayton has the much higher floor and ceiling.
You can’t compare stats at all. Ayton was playing against college kids and Doncic was an 18 year old against pro basketball players. You can learn how to shoot. You don’t need to be a crazy athlete. And I’d like to see those reports about his mentality. Never seen anything about that. Ayton might have a much higher ceiling but there is no doubt Doncic has a higher floor.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
You can’t compare stats at all. Ayton was playing against college kids and Doncic was an 18 year old against pro basketball players. You can learn how to shoot. You don’t need to be a crazy athlete. And I’d like to see those reports about his mentality. Never seen anything about that. Ayton might have a much higher ceiling but there is no doubt Doncic has a higher floor.
Respectfully disagree. Doncic has a floor of Darko. Ayton at his absolute worst is gonna be a 12 and 8 guy, and I feel like that's being very conservative.

As for Doncic, the chatter is out there. Certainly doesn't mean it's a 100% fact, but it's out there.

And I understand not comparing NCAA stats with the Euro league, but Ayton being better at his age than essentially all of the top centers is pretty impressive.

Look at your response, "you can learn how to shoot and you don't have to be a great athlete." Ayton is already both. You're telling me a guy better than Olajuwon at the same age is gonna be a second pick to an unathletic mediocre shooter whose alleged strength is passing and averaged five assists a game?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Respectfully disagree. Doncic has a floor of Darko. Ayton at his absolute worst is gonna be a 12 and 8 guy, and I feel like that's being very conservative.

As for Doncic, the chatter is out there. Certainly doesn't mean it's a 100% fact, but it's out there.

And I understand not comparing NCAA stats with the Euro league, but Ayton being better at his age than essentially all of the top centers is pretty impressive.

Look at your response, "you can learn how to shoot and you don't have to be a great athlete." Ayton is already both. You're telling me a guy better than Olajuwon at the same age is gonna be a second pick to an unathletic mediocre shooter whose alleged strength is passing and averaged five assists a game?
Yes I am because Doncic is dominant in games. At 18. Against men. Yes his shot isn’t the best buts still reliable. Yes he isn’t the most athletic but he’s smart as hell and uses that. He’s like the NBA version of Joe Pavelski in that regard.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
You do realize the difference in awarding assists in the NBA and Euroleague? Not most stable guy mentally? Just a decent shot? Comparing him to Miličić? And I thought your inane narrative about how easy is to stop LBJ from going left is a flaming hot take.

Reactions: darko and Gecklund
Sep 19, 2008
Love how Cleveland is drafting 8th lol. Perennial playoff contenders like Celtics and Cavs drafting in the top 10 year after year. Celtics just able to draft high end talent like Jayson Tatum :laugh:

Imagine this in any other league.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Love how Cleveland is drafting 8th lol. Perennial playoff contenders like Celtics and Cavs drafting in the top 10 year after year. Celtics just able to draft high end talent like Jayson Tatum :laugh:

Imagine this in any other league.

Blame Billy King, not the NBA.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
You do realize the difference in awarding assists in the NBA and Euroleague? Not most stable guy mentally? Just a decent shot? Comparing him to Miličić? And I thought your inane narrative about how easy is to stop LBJ from going left is a flaming hot take.
Anyone can stop LeBron from going left. He'll blow by most of them right, but anyone could do it.

Doncic is an average athlete who shot 30% from three last year. 3-point percentages calculated differently in Europe too?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
How can Doncic have potential bust written all over him after doing what he did in Europe as a teenager against professionals, but Ayton doesn't have potential bust written all over him after he couldn't do a ******* thing in the NCAA tournament for his team?

Not saying Ayton is a bust. Simply arguing the flawed logic.

Reactions: Gecklund

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Comparing Doncic to Milicic is just silly. Doncic averaged 15/4/5 against men as an 18 year old. Milicic was a talented nutcase who also fell in with wrong crowd (he ended up marrying a sister of a career crim).

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Comparing Doncic to Milicic is just silly. Doncic averaged 15/4/5 against men as an 18 year old. Milicic was a talented nutcase who also fell in with wrong crowd (he ended up marrying a sister of a career crim).
I wasn't comparing the two, I was saying that would be his floor. I don't expect him to flame out like that.
How can Doncic have potential bust written all over him after doing what he did in Europe as a teenager against professionals, but Ayton doesn't have potential bust written all over him after he couldn't do a ******* thing in the NCAA tournament for his team?

Not saying Ayton is a bust. Simply arguing the flawed logic.
He averaged 15 and 4, shot 30% from 3, and all would agree he's just average athletically. Ayton put up numbers at 19 that essentially no one has ever. A guy like Doncic runs the risk of getting swallowed up by long and athletic 3s, and there are A LOT of them in this league nowadays. With so few true centers I just don't see many guys that pose serious problems to him.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Doncic has better than average athleticism. He's a good athlete but just lacks that top notch explosiveness. Good shooter but needs to improve a touch. Elite playmaking skills. He'll go 1 or 2. Ayton should go #1 but could see a Slovenian connection landing Doncic in Phoenix.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'd love to know where this chatter is coming from. And again comparing him to Darko is asinine, kid was just the MVP of the Euroleague. Sometimes when you have nothing knowledgable to say it's better to keep your mouth shut.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I'd love to know where this chatter is coming from. And again comparing him to Darko is asinine, kid was just the MVP of the Euroleague. Sometimes when you have nothing knowledgable to say it's better to keep your mouth shut.

EuroLeague MVP and EuroLeague final four MVP.

Reactions: Ivan13

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Suns will either create an all star backcourt or go with the G-F model of building a team. Either way they have a nice 3rd piece in Josh Jackson (kid was great after the ASG)

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
There have been some reliable sources who have mentioned it. Doesn't make it true, but it has been mentioned. As for the Darko comparison, again, I didn't say that's how I project him, I said that'd be his floor.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
There have been some reliable sources who have mentioned it. Doesn't make it true, but it has been mentioned. As for the Darko comparison, again, I didn't say that's how I project him, I said that'd be his floor.
You keep saying reliable sources but aren't posting what those sources are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->