OT: 2018 MLB Thread

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Mets now in last place behind the tanking Marlins.

5-21 for the month of June

Hahahahahah f*** this team. I have no feelings no more

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
the mets still draw because they are the national league representatives of the world's greatest baseball city.

telling mets fans to stop going to games is not productive.

also, i view the mets/knicks comparison as intellectually dishonest. the mets have been to two world series within the last 18 years, whereas the knicks have one playoff series win in the last 18 seasons, including getting swept out of the first round by the nets in 2004, which is one of the nets' ten playoff series wins in the same window of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: OmNomNom

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
the mets still draw because they are the national league representatives of the world's greatest baseball city.

also, i view the mets/knicks comparison as intellectually dishonest. the mets have been to two world series within the last 18 years, whereas the knicks have one playoff series win in the last 18 seasons, including getting swept out of the first round by the nets in 2004, which is one of the nets' ten playoff series wins in the same window of time.

The Mets really don't draw very well though aside from vs the Yankees or special event or holiday games.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

How is it not productive? It sure was for the Yankees in the late 80's/early 90's. In a no cap league in the largest market in the world for this sport there is no excuse.

And yeah, 2 world series in which they got absolutely smoked. You also fail to mention the 13 seasons before that. I'd gladly take the Knicks 90's legacy over that trash, and I was at game 5.

Oh, and 1 of those appearances was on Doubleday's watch. Who probably bounced once he realized what a degenerate sociopath Fred is.

Last edited:

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
How is it not productive? It sure was for the Yankees in the late 80's/early 90's. In a no cap league in the largest market in the world for this sport there is no excuse.

And yeah, 2 world series in which they got absolutely smoked. You also fail to mention the 13 seasons before that. I'd gladly take the Knicks 90's legacy over that trash, and I was at game 5.

Oh, and 1 of those appearances was on Doubleday's watch. Who probably bounced once he realized what a degenerate sociopath Fred is.

lol no, knicks are the worst new york area team of the last 40 years. even the f***ing JETS have had more post season success this century. you can't change my mind.

anyway, my dad, yankees fan since his birth in 1950, has told me on several occasions of when the yankees weren't good in the 80s and the entire upper deck at the old stadium would be empty. crowds broke 25k rarely.

meanwhile, those 80s mets teams were playing in front of a packed shea on the regular, and shea stadium held something like 57k.

edit: i misread your post, so yes? i agree. citi field has been empty this year. so i think you're right anyway.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Announced, actual is quite worse.

i really don't think that we as devils fans, of all people, should be going there...

(granted the dolan dust has been mitigated in recent years and i've found the announced crowds a lot more believable especially this past season, but let's not pretend every 16,514 in newark has more than 16,000 actually in the seats.)

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
If we are ranking the NY/NJ teams in order of success...

Yankees
Giants
Devils
Rangers
Islanders
Mets
Jets
Nets
Knicks

Those last five are the creme of the medocrity crop. Such a disparity beteeen the first three and the bottom four that it's laughable

Last edited:
Reactions: New Jersey

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well if you’re going back 20 years then yeah I’d agree with the list and the synopsis. If you’re just going back five years that list is very different. Heck in 2015-2016 the Mets would have been above the Yankees in terms of recent success.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
If we are ranking the NY/NJ teams in order of success...

Yankees
Giants
Devils
Rangers
Islanders
Mets
Jets
Nets
Knicks

Those last five are the creme of the medocrity crop. Such a disparity beteeen the first three and the bottom four that it's laughable
Are we talking 20 years, 30, or historically? Either way the nets are above the jets and close to being on par with the mets.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Actually, by any metric the jets are easily at the bottom of this list unless you include the islanders and cap the time frame at 30 years.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Are we talking 20 years, 30, or historically? Either way the nets are above the jets and close to being on par with the mets.

Historically, and I disagree. The Jets have a Super Bowl and have been in the playoff picture semi often whereas the Nets while having 2 ABA titles don't have a NBA title (and 2003 they got swept) and have been basement dwellers since, (besides the first couple years to Brooklyn)

The Mets are a weird team. They are irrelevant for years and will randomly make a deep postseason run out of nowhere, seemingly out of their asses and then you don't see it again for years.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Historically, and I disagree. The Jets have a Super Bowl and have been in the playoff picture semi often whereas the Nets while having 2 ABA titles don't have a NBA title (and 2003 they got swept) and have been basement dwellers since, (besides the first couple years to Brooklyn)

The Mets are a weird team. They are irrelevant for years and will randomly make a deep postseason run out of nowhere, seemingly out of their asses and then you don't see it again for years.
ABA, Dr j, and 2002 count as well.

And if it's all time than the isles are unfortunately neck and neck with the devils.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Well if you’re going back 20 years then yeah I’d agree with the list and the synopsis. If you’re just going back five years that list is very different. Heck in 2015-2016 the Mets would have been above the Yankees in terms of recent success.

this is very debatable.

since 2014...

mets: 363-376 (8-7 postseason)
yankees: 407-333 (7-7 postseason)

now, IN the year 2016, sure... i guess...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad