2018 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I predict jays will sign a Morton/Cahill type and mccutchen/marwin for the outfield.
Bleh.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
U71TpDm.png

N8l6a4B.png

Obvious concerns with Kershaw moving forward. Is the stuff declining for good and only to get a little worse over the years? If so, how well will he adjust to that?

The biggest issue is obviously the FB speed. Not only does it obviously make the FB easier to hit, but it takes away the change-up aspect of his slider/cutter. The difference in velo from his FB and slider in these playoffs was only like 1-3 MPH at times....and used to be like 7-8 MPH difference. So you can basically read fastball and still hit the slider and vice versa.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Assuming Kershaw opts out, how much do you think he'll get?

Hard to say. Nats gave Scherzer 7 / 210 at age 30 and that turned about to be an amazing deal. Kershaw is the same age but he's showing signs of decline.

It's moot anyway because he's gonna retire a Dodger. They'll probably workout an extension that gives him a couple more years with more total money but lower AAV. Probably extend the 2 / 70 remaining to 4/100 or something like that.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Damn. I told my brother before 5 for $125M, but he thought that was way too much.

I'd do anything in my power to keep him, obviously, but even $25M AAV is too much. But if that's what it takes, they have to do it.

Dodgers will pony up. Unfortunately they'll also pay for Kershaw's past production as it tends to happen with declining stars.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Damn. I told my brother before 5 for $125M, but he thought that was way too much.

I'd do anything in my power to keep him, obviously, but even $25M AAV is too much. But if that's what it takes, they have to do it.

David Price set the bar with his 31 million/year salary.... a much superior player like Kershaw isn't going to accept less than that.

Grienke as well makes something like 34ish a year, can't see the best pitcher of this generation taking 25 M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad