2018 MiLB Regular Season News and Notes/2018 Affiliation Dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Potential names have been unveiled for Colorado Springs's new Pioneer League team, which will begin play next year following the Sky Sox's relocation to Texas. Brandiose *really* wants to give some team the Lamb Chops branding (this is now the third time it's come up in a name the team contest, with Brandiose offering it up in Lynchburg and Gwinnett's respective rebranding efforts the past couple years). This is also the 2nd time Brandiose has brought out a "jockeys" name, with Binghamton potentially having potentially been named the Timber Jockeys instead of Rumble Ponies.

• Colorado Springs Happy Campers - The Happy Campers celebrates Colorado Springs' positive attitude and our love of nature, camping and all things outdoors.
  • Colorado Springs Lamb Chops - The largest and highest quality lamb in the world, the Lamb Chops is a nod to the World Famous Colorado Lamb. We've got the chops!
  • Colorado Springs Punchy Pikas - A small but fierce critter that calls Pikes Peak home, known for its iconic forceful bark.
  • Colorado Springs Throttle Jockeys - Aim high! The Throttle Jockeys is a tribute to our brave pilots who train and call Colorado Springs home.
  • Rocky Mountain Oysters - It's a classic Minor League Baseball name in the making, this original cowboy fare has already been made famous at Colorado fairs, festivals and baseball games.
My money's on Oysters being the pick here. Wouldn't mind Throttle Jockeys either (although what would have been wrong with "Pilots?")

In other Pioneer League news, it looks like the Orem Owlz's relocation to Pueblo, CO is now dead. While the deal could be revitalized, Orem's owner seems to be planning to play out the string in Orem at this point.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Potential names have been unveiled for Colorado Springs's new Pioneer League team, which will begin play next year following the Sky Sox's relocation to Texas. Brandiose *really* wants to give some team the Lamb Chops branding (this is now the third time it's come up in a name the team contest, with Brandiose offering it up in Lynchburg and Gwinnett's respective rebranding efforts the past couple years). This is also the 2nd time Brandiose has brought out a "jockeys" name, with Binghamton potentially having potentially been named the Timber Jockeys instead of Rumble Ponies.

• Colorado Springs Happy Campers - The Happy Campers celebrates Colorado Springs' positive attitude and our love of nature, camping and all things outdoors.
  • Colorado Springs Lamb Chops - The largest and highest quality lamb in the world, the Lamb Chops is a nod to the World Famous Colorado Lamb. We've got the chops!
  • Colorado Springs Punchy Pikas - A small but fierce critter that calls Pikes Peak home, known for its iconic forceful bark.
  • Colorado Springs Throttle Jockeys - Aim high! The Throttle Jockeys is a tribute to our brave pilots who train and call Colorado Springs home.
  • Rocky Mountain Oysters - It's a classic Minor League Baseball name in the making, this original cowboy fare has already been made famous at Colorado fairs, festivals and baseball games.
My money's on Oysters being the pick here. Wouldn't mind Throttle Jockeys either (although what would have been wrong with "Pilots?")

In other Pioneer League news, it looks like the Orem Owlz's relocation to Pueblo, CO is now dead. While the deal could be revitalized, Orem's owner seems to be planning to play out the string in Orem at this point.

These names blow. Colorado Springs Chops and Colorado Springs Jockeys would be OK. Mountain Oysters are clearly the best choice out of these ones though.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
These names blow. Colorado Springs Chops and Colorado Springs Jockeys would be OK. Mountain Oysters are clearly the best choice out of these ones though.

Agreed. What's killing me about Brandiose (aside from reusing concepts and their awful logos) is that they have these names that are just too over the top. Based off that list, Campers, Pikas (or even Pikes), and Jockeys are all fine names without "Happy," "Punchy" or "Throttle."

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Obviously Rocky Mountain Oysters aren't oysters but having a Pioneer League affiliate being called that and a Southern League affiliate being called the Shuckers would be some kind of cool.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Obviously Rocky Mountain Oysters aren't oysters but having a Pioneer League affiliate being called that and a Southern League affiliate being called the Shuckers would be some kind of cool.

No guarantee they'd still be with the Brewers organization since the PDC expires this year, but that would, indeed, be a cool little bit of cross-branding, potentially!

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country

Oysters get my pick. (Dare I ask what are RMO?) Jockeys get an honorable mention.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Potential names have been unveiled for Madison, Alabama's new Southern League team, which will begin play next year following the Mobile BayBears relocation to the Huntsville suburb. Brandiose is at it again. No Lamb Chops this time, but another "Jockeys" team - this time the Comet Jockeys. Brandiose can't go out of business soon enough for my tastes...

• Army Ants - Sound off! The Army’s Redstone Arsenal serves as a center for missile and national defense programs and employs more than 40,000 members of our community.
  • Comet Jockeys - “Rocket City” was put on the map for its cutting-edge aerospace development. Comet Jockeys is a celebration of our brave astronauts who explore outer space.
  • GloWorms - Glow Worms are rare tiny bioluminescent creatures that call the caves at Dismals Canyon in North Alabama home, one of few places in North America!
  • Lunartics - We are home to some of the wildest mad scientists facing today’s challenges in space and technology. You’d have to be a “Lunartic” to do that!
  • Moon Possums - A scavenger at heart, these local critters are known for hanging around and having a good time with their family – just like going to ballgame!
  • Puffy Head Bird Legs - No joke! It’s lingo coined by our astronauts for body fluid moving from feet to head in outer space due to the lack of gravity!
  • Space Chimps - A tribute to Miss Baker, one of the first animals safely launched into space. She is buried on the grounds at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center.
  • Space Sloths - A nod to NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, the Space Sloths is up there with classic Minor League Baseball names like IronPigs, Flying Squirrels, Chihuahuas and Jumbo Shrimp.
  • ThunderSharks - Mix the powerful thunder of North Alabama’s storms with the ultra-strong, sleek determination of the shark and you end up with the personality of our community: willing to attack any problem. Visiting teams won’t mess with ThunderSharks.
  • Trash Pandas - (Slang for raccoon) Our community is known for engineering, and no creature in our galaxy is as smart, creative, determined and ingenious a problem solver – dedicated to the challenge at hand – as our local raccoons!
Voters will also be asked to choose from one of three team identifiers - Madison, North Alabama, or Rocket City.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
What in God's name is up with these dumb ass names? I refuse to believe normal sane people are submitting such nonsense.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
What in God's name is up with these dumb ass names? I refuse to believe normal sane people are submitting such nonsense.

Drugs. Lots and lots of drugs.

• Army Ants - Sound off! The Army’s Redstone Arsenal serves as a center for missile and national defense programs and employs more than 40,000 members of our community.
  • Comet Jockeys - “Rocket City” was put on the map for its cutting-edge aerospace development. Comet Jockeys is a celebration of our brave astronauts who explore outer space.
  • GloWorms - Glow Worms are rare tiny bioluminescent creatures that call the caves at Dismals Canyon in North Alabama home, one of few places in North America!
  • Lunartics - We are home to some of the wildest mad scientists facing today’s challenges in space and technology. You’d have to be a “Lunartic” to do that!
  • Moon Possums - A scavenger at heart, these local critters are known for hanging around and having a good time with their family – just like going to ballgame!
  • Puffy Head Bird Legs - No joke! It’s lingo coined by our astronauts for body fluid moving from feet to head in outer space due to the lack of gravity!
  • Space Chimps - A tribute to Miss Baker, one of the first animals safely launched into space. She is buried on the grounds at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center.
  • Space Sloths - A nod to NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, the Space Sloths is up there with classic Minor League Baseball names like IronPigs, Flying Squirrels, Chihuahuas and Jumbo Shrimp.
  • ThunderSharks - Mix the powerful thunder of North Alabama’s storms with the ultra-strong, sleek determination of the shark and you end up with the personality of our community: willing to attack any problem. Visiting teams won’t mess with ThunderSharks.
  • Trash Pandas - (Slang for raccoon) Our community is known for engineering, and no creature in our galaxy is as smart, creative, determined and ingenious a problem solver – dedicated to the challenge at hand – as our local raccoons!

Sorry, Mods, for the elongated post. How about my idea of Huntsville Comets in my Baseball expansion idea. Or heck, if nostalgia is in the bag, Stars would be nice. Noen of these is really appealing.

Reactions: HisIceness

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm going to vote for Puffy Head Bird Legs. Maybe if it wins, it will serve as a warning to other teams that want to rent and to just keep their name.

Reactions: BigMac1212

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

I highly doubt these are all "community-submitted" names. Are we to believe that people in Lynchburg, Gwinnett, and Colorado Springs all independently submitted "Lamb Chops?" Or that members of the community in Binghamton, Colorado Springs, and Madison have all independently submitted names with "Jockeys" in them (Timber Jockeys, Throttle Jockeys, and Comet Jockeys, respectively), especially when it's the same branding firm doing all of these?

Drugs. Lots and lots of drugs.

Sorry, Mods, for the elongated post. How about my idea of Huntsville Comets in my Baseball expansion idea. Or heck, if nostalgia is in the bag, Stars would be nice. Noen of these is really appealing.

I disagree here, BigMac. This is done stone cold sober. Brandiose puts some of these dumbass names *just* to generate news. After all, how much press would a "Name the team" competition for a relocated Double-A team get otherwise? Throw in names like "Puffy Head Bird Legs" though and the coverage starts to mount. Even if there's no chance in heck the team takes on that identity ever it gets coverage and I think Brandiose's view is that there's no such thing as bad coverage.

I'm going to vote for Puffy Head Bird Legs. Maybe if it wins, it will serve as a warning to other teams that want to rent and to just keep their name.

People know I'm not a conspiracy theorist in the least but I'll go a little conspiracy theory on this one - I wouldn't be surprised if the fan votes don't really count for anything and the decision's already been made. This is just eyewash to get the fans talking and feel like they have some ownership of the decision.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I disagree here, BigMac. This is done stone cold sober. Brandiose puts some of these dumbass names *just* to generate news. After all, how much press would a "Name the team" competition for a relocated Double-A team get otherwise? Throw in names like "Puffy Head Bird Legs" though and the coverage starts to mount. Even if there's no chance in heck the team takes on that identity ever it gets coverage and I think Brandiose's view is that there's no such thing as bad coverage.

The optimist in me wants to believe you. The cynic in me wants to believe the drugs post.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
(insert expletives)! There goes my expansion idea for 2018. Back to the drawing board!
YOU DO REALIZE, Mac, existing teams have the right to block another team entering their territory, in this case this franchise has the option to block a transfer into Providence and Rhode Island, whether it's Pawtucket because the two counties share a common border

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
YOU DO REALIZE, Mac, existing teams have the right to block another team entering their territory, in this case this franchise has the option to block a transfer into Providence and Rhode Island, whether it's Pawtucket because the two counties share a common border

Okay. Still, I just have to be on the safe side.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

100% agreed. Any interaction is a good interaction in their eyes, because their goal is to get people to pay attention to a minor league baseball team that isn't going to be in the news for much other.

It's a f***ing disease on the sport...but it makes money and until that changes, this practice is going to remain in place.

When one team is embracing the awkwardness, that's fun. When everyone is rushing to join in on the trend it gets really f***ing old, really f***ing fast.

Reactions: garnetpalmetto

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
100% agreed. Any interaction is a good interaction in their eyes, because their goal is to get people to pay attention to a minor league baseball team that isn't going to be in the news for much other.

It's a ****ing disease on the sport...but it makes money and until that changes, this practice is going to remain in place.

When one team is embracing the awkwardness, that's fun. When everyone is rushing to join in on the trend it gets really ****ing old, really ****ing fast.

So much this, Biggie. Further it'd be one thing if each team was being given unique names but, again, they're at the point where they're recycling stuff. I'm almost hoping Colorado Springs becomes the Lamb Chops so Brandiose will stop bringing it up as a potential new name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad