Golf: 2018 Masters Tournament | APRIL 5th - APRIL 8th| ESPN + CBS

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I always find it strange when people don't look at leaderboards.

I mean, I get in theory that you're always trying to play your best round, but there are times where knowing where you stand should have an influence on your strategy imo.

I think those who did that probably tell their caddy to alert them if a circumstance occurs where they would need to change strategy.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hitting the pin on 17 likely saved him from a playoff.

That said, he still had to have the line to hit it and as others have mentioned, you usually need to have some luck on your side to win this tourney.

When someone hits the pin and it goes a few feet by, I usually say it was a fair result. It could've just as easily hit the pin and went in. This straddled the middle of the two results.

I don't even disagree that Reed might've got a slight break or two, but he didn't get "so lucky" or anything of that sort, like some people have suggested. He fairly won. The winner of a tournament is also usually the person who gets the most breaks that week. And it usually all evens out over the course of a career.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
When someone hits the pin and it goes a few feet by, I usually say it was a fair result. It could've just as easily hit the pin and went in. This straddled the middle of the two results.

I don't even disagree that Reed might've got a slight break or two, but he didn't get "so lucky" or anything of that sort, like some people have suggested. He fairly won. The winner of a tournament is also usually the person who gets the most breaks that week. And it usually all evens out over the course of a career.

It went about 5 feet past the hole, even after hitting the pin. Fact is he badly misjudged the speed of that putt and got away with it. I agree with you though that he earned that win and did not luck his way into anything.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Yeah, I've known about this for awhile, having read about this several years ago. Though its really none of our business, I'd love to know what the "real story is". What turns me off about him are all those negative stories about his college days.....just sounds like he was a real *******. And then of course when he declared himself top 5 a few years ago. And yet, maybe he had a bad childhood growing up, who knows? I will say I absolutely love cheering for him in the team events, but I just can't yet come to cheer for him in regular tourneys or majors.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jordan now 2-1-2-T11-3 at Augusta

insane

Developing the Nicklaus consistency. Not all the way there yet (Nicklaus had a 76% top 10 rate in majors for a 20 year period during his prime, and 64% top 5's), but if you count the last four years (since 2015), Jordan is right now at a 54% top 5 rate and 54% top 10 rate, so he's getting there. I feel like once the putting comes around back to where it's been most of his career, he'll be able to get pretty close to the Nicklaus consistency. Since the beginning of 2017, he's been getting all these results with middle of the road, at best, putting. Even last week at the Masters, he gained just over 1 shot on the field putting, yet he shot -13, so the rest of his game was absolutely brilliant, been that way for over a year now. If you add the best putting in the world to that, he could be somewhat close to what Tiger was at his best, more likely what Nicklaus was at his best.

And we gotta remember Jordan's still only 24. The media will claim that all these guys like Cantlay, Schauffele, Rahm are improving, but Jordan's the same age as these guys, yet because he's been so good for so many years now, the expectations is results now and not improvements in future years. But I think he's shown at different parts of his career that he can be elite in every part of the game, except for driving distance where he can be average/above-average, so I only expect improvements from here on out once he can achieve more consistency in all areas of the game. He's already shown ridiculous consistency in his first five or so years as a pro that most of the best only achieve in their prime, should only improve as he gets towards his prime.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Developing the Nicklaus consistency. Not all the way there yet (Nicklaus had a 76% top 10 rate in majors for a 20 year period during his prime, and 64% top 5's), but if you count the last four years (since 2015), Jordan is right now at a 54% top 5 rate and 54% top 10 rate, so he's getting there. I feel like once the putting comes around back to where it's been most of his career, he'll be able to get pretty close to the Nicklaus consistency. Since the beginning of 2017, he's been getting all these results with middle of the road, at best, putting. Even last week at the Masters, he gained just over 1 shot on the field putting, yet he shot -13, so the rest of his game was absolutely brilliant, been that way for over a year now. If you add the best putting in the world to that, he could be somewhat close to what Tiger was at his best, more likely what Nicklaus was at his best.

And we gotta remember Jordan's still only 24. The media will claim that all these guys like Cantlay, Schauffele, Rahm are improving, but Jordan's the same age as these guys, yet because he's been so good for so many years now, the expectations is results now and not improvements in future years. But I think he's shown at different parts of his career that he can be elite in every part of the game, except for driving distance where he can be average/above-average, so I only expect improvements from here on out once he can achieve more consistency in all areas of the game. He's already shown ridiculous consistency in his first five or so years as a pro that most of the best only achieve in their prime, should only improve as he gets towards his prime.
I'm not a big Spieth fan but you summed it up nicely, the guy is incredible.

He's just sooooo boring.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I'm not a big Spieth fan but you summed it up nicely, the guy is incredible.

He's just sooooo boring.

Disagree, I think he's one of the more entertaining players on tour. He's always animated on the course and when he talks to himself it's hilarious. Not to mention his game is electric when he's in the zone.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Wow. I actually was unaware to the extent that Reed and his family were estranged. I knew they weren't on good terms but that article Dakota posted is some next level stuff.

Dysfunction and contempt is putting it lightly. And his wife... well *keeps mouth shut*

Jan 3, 2012
Wow. I actually was unaware to the extent that Reed and his family were estranged. I knew they weren't on good terms but that article Dakota posted is some next level stuff.

Dysfunction and contempt is putting it lightly. And his wife... well *keeps mouth shut*

Yeah that's the reason nobody likes him. Plus it sounds like he has no friends on tour. Sounds like a teenager holding a grudge tbh. Clown.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I find these revelations to be rather inappropriate for this moment. If they want to air all of this stuff, its fair, although kind of a hit piece, but likely fair journalism because he's a public figure. Directly after the guy wins a major, a hit piece is written on him? I don't know about that.

I have no clue what is true, what isn't, but does it really matter? Its not like any of us are his peers. We are fans. I find the persona around the guy to be pretty funny, and I like that so many people root against him because I find it ridiculous. I'm not "per se" a Reed fan, but the controversy surrounding him doesn't bother me as it bothers most people. I won't act like an expert on a situation I don't know about. Also, a lot of these same things (not very friendly, has a complicated family history, might be a cheater, too arrogant) are things that people said about Tiger. Most people here are fans of him, and rightfully so, fans judged his golf. I don't think its any of our jobs to play moral police about situations we don't know about. Same should apply for Reed. I won't judge these controversies, unless I actually know what happened.

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
I find these revelations to be rather inappropriate for this moment. If they want to air all of this stuff, its fair, although kind of a hit piece, but likely fair journalism because he's a public figure. Directly after the guy wins a major, a hit piece is written on him? I don't know about that.

I have no clue what is true, what isn't, but does it really matter? Its not like any of us are his peers. We are fans. I find the persona around the guy to be pretty funny, and I like that so many people root against him because I find it ridiculous. I'm not "per se" a Reed fan, but the controversy surrounding him doesn't bother me as it bothers most people. I won't act like an expert on a situation I don't know about. Also, a lot of these same things (not very friendly, has a complicated family history, might be a cheater, too arrogant) are things that people said about Tiger. Most people here are fans of him, and rightfully so, fans judged his golf. I don't think its any of our jobs to play moral police about situations we don't know about. Same should apply for Reed. I won't judge these controversies, unless I actually know what happened.
Well said and everyone knows how I felt about Tiger and his transgressions. I’m a family man and family to me is the most important thing in my life. For Reeds sake I hope he can patch things up with his family. Life is way to short to hold a grudge until it’s to late.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Jan 3, 2012
I don't see how this is a hit piece, none of this is news, this is all well established.

If Tiger was some middling tour player, nobody would've cared when he had his affairs. When you're a big name, people look into your personal life.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Two sides to every story. Pat isn't an easy guy to give the benefit of the doubt to, but we get lots of articles from the parents' & sister's perspectives while Reed refuses to comment on any of it. We aren't getting the full picture and I doubt we ever will.

Golf needs a villain anyway. Has there ever been a player of Reed's caliber who's been so thoroughly disliked? Bubba is hated by his peers but the fans love him. Same story for Phil. Rory Sabbatini is often called the most hated player on Tour but he's irrelevant. I don't think there are any historical comparisons to be made for this. Maybe Vijay?

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Disagree, I think he's one of the more entertaining players on tour. He's always animated on the course and when he talks to himself it's hilarious. Not to mention his game is electric when he's in the zone.
I agree totally. He’s anything but boring.
Well looks like I'm outnumbered :laugh:.

I just find him boring, doesn't seem to have much of a personality. Very professional, by the book kind of guy. Kind of reminds me of hockey players who just say the same PC stuff every interview. I do like how he refers to his caddy and himself as 'we' during interviews.

I do agree his golf game is not boring, he can tear golf courses apart, which is fun to watch.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Well looks like I'm outnumbered :laugh:.

I just find him boring, doesn't seem to have much of a personality. Very professional, by the book kind of guy. Kind of reminds me of hockey players who just say the same PC stuff every interview. I do like how he refers to his caddy and himself as 'we' during interviews.

I do agree his golf game is not boring, he can tear golf courses apart, which is fun to watch.

The interview point is fair, but how many golfers give good interviews? Tiger’s were awful but no one cared because of how great he was on the course.

Out of curiosity, which golfers would you say are the most exciting these days?

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
The interview point is fair, but how many golfers give good interviews? Tiger’s were awful but no one cared because of how great he was on the course.

Out of curiosity, which golfers would you say are the most exciting these days?
Rory and JT are my favourite golfers, to be fair it's not like they are super exciting in interviews either though haha. They both have a bit of a fiery side to them.

I do like how Rory seems to tell things as it is. E.g. at the Olympics Spieth put out a very professional sounding statement and Rory was just like 'I didn't want to go, I'm not here to grow the game I'm here to win Majors'.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Rory and JT are my favourite golfers, to be fair it's not like they are super exciting in interviews either though haha. They both have a bit of a fiery side to them.

I do like how Rory seems to tell things as it is. E.g. at the Olympics Spieth put out a very professional sounding statement and Rory was just like 'I didn't want to go, I'm not here to grow the game I'm here to win Majors'.
I find Spieth's entire image very manufactured and fake. The whole humble persona he puts on rubs me the wrong way too.

Rors is definitely candid and speaks his mind. It's what separates him from most athletes. He is almost allergic to cliches and doesn't care if it isn't what you want to hear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad