GDT: 2018 Maple Leafs Trade Deadline Thread Pt.II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's that time of year again! This a thread I typically do most years leading up to the deadline to discuss the overall Leafs deadline, different rumors, targets, etc. League Trade Talk and heavy debates can remain in the Trade discussion thread. Ideally, this thread is a collective space to keep track of any leaf rumors/transactions, with some light discussion

A fresh thread for the final 2 days!

Confirmed News;

February 25th 2018

February 20th 2018

February 15th 2018

Latest Buzz;

- On Headlines, Friedman and Kypreos mentioned the following names when talking about the Leafs deadline plans; Tomas Plekanec, Mark Letestu, Luke Glendening, Ryan McDonagh and Mike Green

- Elliotte Friedman also suggested on his podcast that the Maple Leafs could be looking at a lateral move. Trading a current player for a return, and then using that return to help acquire someone else on their radar.

- Elliotte Friedman revealed on his podcast that Luke Glendening to Toronto is "very real" he he won't be a surprise when it happens. He expects the Leafs to send a body back to Detroit, possibly Josh Leivo, along with a draft pick.

- Pierre Lebrun revealed that Ryan McDonagh has the Maple Leafs on his "yes" list, or rather, not on his 10 team list he can block a trade too. The Maple Leafs and Rangers can make a deal for Ryan McDonagh, without his permission.

- Reid Wilkins, host of Insider Sports and Oilers Hockey on 630 CHED Edmonton, stated the Maple Leafs have inquired about Mark Letestu. It's believed the Pittsburgh Penguins, Tampa Bay Lightning, and Philadelphia Flyers also have interest in the veteran center.

- Elliotte Friedman reported in his 31 Thoughts column that the Maple Leafs would prefer to send a contract back in any deal for Luke Glendening. He suggested the Leafs may have offered Nikita Soshnikov at one point, and wondered if Josh Leivo could enter the discussion. He stated that in terms of a draft pick, the Leafs and Wings have a couple rounds to go before coming to any kind of agreement.

- Maple Leafs offered Detroit a 5th Round Pick for Luke Glendening. Detroit countered with a 2nd Round Pick. Talks broke off - Per TSN.

- Craig Custance, the Wings beat for The Athletic, suggested the Wings would likely need to retain on Luke Glendening's salary in any deal

- Per Sportsnet Headlines, the Canucks have told teams, including the Maple Leafs, that it would take a "special offer" to acquire Chris Tanev. Speculated asking price appears to be a 1st Round Pick + Prospect + Roster Player

- According to Elliotte Friedman, the Leafs have reportedly kicked tires on Patrick Maroon, but also adds it wouldn't make sense without another move

- According to TSN and Sportsnet, the Maple Leafs are on Rick Nash's list of teams he would accept a trade too.

Speculated Targets;
Luke Glendening [DET]
Mike Green [DET]
Ryan McDonagh [NYR]
Chris Tanev [VAN]
Mark Letestu [EDM]
Patrick Maroon [EDM]
Rick Nash [TOR]
Jack Johnson [CBJ]
Boone Jenner [CBJ]
Niklas Hjalmarsson [ARI]
Tomas Plekanec [MTL]​

Last edited:

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I'd be content if we don't do anything at all

Ultimately, I think Leivo gets traded and we grab a 4th line center
Although....it wouldn't shock me if we somehow acquired a Top 4 D-man especially if management believes we're legit Cup contenders

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Looking forward to tomorrow, sounds like lots of teams waiting for the big dominoes to fall first.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
While I don't want to see the Leafs make any trades that see them giving up players like Marner, Nylander, a prospect like Liljegren, or even their 2018 1st round pick and going as far as their 2019 1st round pick, I'm kind of sick of hearing how other teams like Boston and Tampa being in on other players such as Rick Nash, Ryan McDonagh and Erik Karlsson since Tampa has been linked to him. I know those are the players, prospects or picks to get those type of players, but it's not like Boston and Tampa can get who they want no matter what.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
We’d be morons if we traded Marner or Nylander, they’re franchise cornerstones for us, who are only getting better.

I don’t think we’ll be in on anything big for now, instead I think we’ll focus on upgrades during the off-season and draft.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I assume now that the Preds missed out on Nash they’ll go hard for Tatar or Nyqvist.

I’m getting a feeling we make a move for Green & Glendening. Leafs can retain Green as a stop gap for Liljegren.

But I’m trying to keep my expectations low.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
why?
if there is one that could help us we should get said player.

Because I do not believe this is a team worthy of pricey rentals, and even if they were, I think bringing in rentals is not as helpful as their prices indicate. Unless it's very minor tweaks, like getting a better role player or depth. If you need more than that, then you need to rethink if you are truly a cup contender.

Role players should not cost major assets to acquire, even though every year they do.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I assume now that the Preds missed out on Nash they’ll go hard for Tatar or Nyqvist.

I’m getting a feeling we make a move for Green & Glendening. Leafs can retain Green as a stop gap for Liljegren.

Hell no to Green

Cole is better defensively, can PK, has a physical edge to his play and was a major cog in Pitts last two cup runs

He's also going to be considerably cheaper and better fits our need

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i'm wonnnnddeeerrring...
if we float JVR to them?

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I think JVR and Bozak are staying for this cup run. Despite the fantasy GM in all of us that says we need to get assets for expirings, there’s also a team aspect to this where management recognizes that the team has earned the right to stick together and compete for a deep playoff run this year, because of their play. The added playoff experience is probably worth it for our young stars and it sends a good message to everyone that their play and effort is not being ignored.

Reactions: canadon

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If the Leafs were to trade any of their UFA's I rather see them get rid of Komarov. Now that's not because he's had this recent bad luck of not converting those scoring chances when the puck was on his stick where he than missed the net, hit the post or fanned on his shot, I just think for the role he plays Matt Martin can fill in for him.

I also realize the shootout is not used once the playoffs start, however so far this season Tyler Bozak is 4/5 in the shootout and who knows how many more the Leafs will be in until the playoffs start. So if he can keep up that pace it could be the difference between 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic Division.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I said at the beginning of the month that the time to decide whether the Leafs should buy or sell is on the 25th. Well... we're now an hour in to that day.

My verdict: Hard not to love the team's record in February, but the underlying stats have been less than stellar. The offense has returned, thanks in large part to Mitch Marner. If him and Nylander are truly over their sophomore struggles, it makes us that much more dangerous... and we were already one of the league's top offenses. Andersen has been, of course, fantastic, even drawing himself into the Vezina conversation. But the defense core is still a major issue. It has not come around. It is not good enough, IMO, to go through both Boston and Tampa.

I think Lou and co. either need to address that issue or accept that it is unlikely this team is going to get past Round 2. That means either going big and picking up OEL/McDonagh, dropping Hainsey/Zaitsev down a pairing and pushing Polak out of lineup, or trading JVR to get back what is looking like it might be a king's ransom. What they should not do is trade picks or prospects for mediocre assets or stand pat.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'd be content if we don't do anything at all

Ultimately, I think Leivo gets traded and we grab a 4th line center
Although....it wouldn't shock me if we somehow acquired a Top 4 D-man especially if management believes we're legit Cup contenders
seems like we've done so much maneuvering to keep Leivo around, granted without giving him actual playing time, but it feels like the organization has a plan there or he would have been traded a while ago. Not like he's a really well kept secret and his advanced stats are still glowing this year so I'm sure there's been a 3rd round pick out there for him for a long time

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
havent watched mike green play in a long time, is he actually good defensively?

Nope, he's an offensively minded PP QB with some defensive issues

Here's my plan

Flip JVR for a 1st + whatever else
Turn around and offer a 2nd or 3rd for Maroon, he can fill the JVR hole he's better defensively and gives us a physical element up front during the playoffs

Trade a 2nd or 3rd for Cole
He's a massive upgrade on the bottom pair RD and he's good on the PK so we can take some minutes off Hainsey, he's also physical can play in the top 4 if we get injuries and has done well in the last two Penguins playoff runs

With this plan we downgrade scoring wise but improve defensively, still pick twice in the 1st round of the draft and I believe have a better rounded team for the playoffs

Thoughts?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Nope, he's an offensively minded PP QB with some defensive issues

Here's my plan

Flip JVR for a 1st + whatever else
Turn around and offer a 2nd or 3rd for Maroon, he can fill the JVR hole he's better defensively and gives us a physical element up front during the playoffs

Trade a 2nd or 3rd for Cole
He's a massive upgrade on the bottom pair RD and he's good on the PK so we can take some minutes off Hainsey, he's also physical can play in the top 4 if we get injuries and has done well in the last two Penguins playoff runs

With this plan we downgrade scoring wise but improve defensively, still pick twice in the 1st round of the draft and I believe have a better rounded team for the playoffs

Thoughts?

sounds like a bunch of hogwash.

Why not just ride with the players we got? They play pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->