Prospect Info: 2018 Lightning Development Camp (June 26th - 30th)

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If Sosunov ends up being something, I'll gladly eat that crow.
Add me to the list of people who have thought people only hype him because of his size. But I gotta admit that I'd love a Sustr-sized defenseman who doesn't play like Sustr.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Man, Sosunov is really improving. Looks like they learned how to improve skating when you're training a giant from the mistakes made with the Giraffe.

He along with the rest of the prospects have been working with Barb Underhill learning power skating techniques. Barb was able to teach man-mountain Brian Boyle how to be an NHL skater. :eek: I think Sosunov might have actually spent some time before the dev camp working with her as she does do one on one work with some of our other prospects during the season.

Unfortunately, I couldn't go to dev camp yesterday or today, so I'll only get to see them tomorrow and maybe Saturday if I'm lucky. :(

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm watching the Jackets 3-on-3 tournament and the announcers said Todd Richards is there watching. His (Orlando born) son Justin is playing.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Add me to the list of people who have thought people only hype him because of his size. But I gotta admit that I'd love a Sustr-sized defenseman who doesn't play like Sustr.

Yeah, and sometimes with guys of that size, it takes a loooong time for them to fully develop. So I think we need to be patient. The difference between this guy and Sustr is Sustr has always played like a kitten. Sosunov doesn't, and that alone could make his size valuable.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Yeah, and sometimes with guys of that size, it takes a loooong time for them to fully develop. So I think we need to be patient. The difference between this guy and Sustr is Sustr has always played like a kitten. Sosunov doesn't, and that alone could make his size valuable.

Yeah, Susunov definitely doesn't seem reluctant to throw his big body around properly. Sustr actually looked a bit better this season during his limited ice time, but his unwillingness to use his size to even LEAN on players, let along deliver a nice solid hit has been frustrating. So, the possibility of a huge defenseman who actually can skate decently and who is willing to play the body?? Worth the wait.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, Susunov definitely doesn't seem reluctant to throw his big body around properly. Sustr actually looked a bit better this season during his limited ice time, but his unwillingness to use his size to even LEAN on players, let along deliver a nice solid hit has been frustrating. So, the possibility of a huge defenseman who actually can skate decently and who is willing to play the body?? Worth the wait.

Sustr just doesn't have the mentality for that kind of game. Or personality, maybe. That's why the comparisons to Chara were always so warped. Even though it took Chara a long time to really come into his own, he always had the big shot, always had the monstrous strength, and ALWAYS had a meanstreak. It took him a while to put these things to use, but they were always there. Sustr has a reach. That's pretty much it.

Oh well. I'm guessing The Sustr Nightmare is about to move on to some other unsuspecting city who'll liken him immediately to Zdeno Chara.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Anyone been to any of the days yet who has stood out so far? looking forward to watching the 3-3.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It'll go underappreciated, but the upgrades to the A/V is worth mentioning. Past years were...challenging to watch.

I'm a bit surprised by the seamless glass, isn't it more likely to lead to concussions? It's worse for viewing, but viewers don't sue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad