2018 HFNHL Mock Draft - Top 45

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The entry draft is now only about a week away, so let's get together a new mock draft. This one goes all the way into the mid second round.

1. Dallas Stars - Rasmus Dahlin
Obviously. Gives them a nice cornerstone to continue their rebuild.

2. Calgary Flames - Andrei Svechnikov

Nice to see Matt Kershaw overcome his fear of Russians and select the true 2nd best player available. Svechnikov will be a horse for the Flames organization in the coming years, unless he's poorly developed and leaves for the KHL.

3. Washington Capitals - Brady Tkachuk
Seems likely that the Capitals will bring in Matthew's brother to play alongside him in the Nation's capital. Pretty cool to have the opportunity to bring him into the fold. Plus, we all know that Josh Howell prefers his Americans!

4. Buffalo Sabres - Filip Zadina
The Sabres get a nice consolation prize after losing out a bit at the lottery. Zadina is the scoring winger that the team has sought to add to the rebuilding process. Fits very nicely into the team's future plans.

5. Minnesota Wild - Adam Boqvist
Dan Chan is always a bit of a wild card at the draft. But he does tend to display some biases toward European players with higher upsides. And I think based on his organizational needs, he really needs to jump on one of the better defenders available. Boqvist fits that need and checks Chan's boxes.

6. New York Rangers - Quinn Hughes
I feel like this is Gaffney's guy barring something strange happening inside the top 5. The dynamic offensive defender is tailored perfectly to today's NHL and fits right in with what the Rangers are putting together. Plus, I'm sure New York management is hoping for brother Jack in 2019.

7. Philadelphia Flyers - Oliver Wahlstrom

High upside scoring winger who GM Alvaro Silvan will no doubt install a personal sauna for in the arena. Fills an organizational need and also seems like the BPA at this point.

8. Carolina Hurricanes - Noah Dobson
The Hurricanes opt for Dobson, fresh off a terrific performance at the Memorial Cup. This is a kid who has been trending up as of late and could be the 2nd defender off the board.

9. Arizona Coyotes - Vitali Kravtsov
One of the first surprises of the day, the Coyotes make a big play on Russian winger Kravtsov, who seems to be gaining a lot of momentum as a lottery selection. He has size and skill and was terrific in the KHL playoffs. This kid could be the best forward from this draft in a few years. Arizona has never been afraid to reach on the guys that they like.

10. Columbus Blue Jackets - Evan Bouchard

The Blue Jackets add London defender Evan Bouchard. I feel like the Jackets have their eye on adding one of the top defenders available this year and Bouchard may just fit that bill. Plus, Doug Emerson has always shown some bias towards local OHL players.

11. Dallas Stars - Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Kotkaniemi goes a bit lower than some seem to be suggesting that he'll go in the NHL draft, but the talented Finnish center finds a home in Dallas and gives the Stars and Tom Baker some terrific franchise building blocks with Dahlin.

12. Vegas Golden Knights - Barrett Hayton
This just feels like a Jon Lemoine selection. Hayton is one of the more well rounded players available this year and projects as an excellent "SIM" player who can be rated well across the board. Could develop into a terrific 2nd line center and has drawn some comparisons to Patrice Bergeron.

13. Vancouver Canucks - Rasmus Kupari

Vancouver has had some success drafting out of Finland recently, so they opt for Kupari. Word is Keogh is looking for a higher upside forward at this spot and Kupari probably fits that bill best. Don't be shocked if he swings for the fences on a guy like Dominik Bokk or Jay O'Brien though.

14. Carolina Hurricanes - Joel Farabee

After adding Dobson already, the Hurricanes select Joel Farabee, a crafty winger out of the US Development Program. He looks to be a promising complimentary piece who can play on the first or second line in the future.

15. Vegas Golden Knights - Ty Smith
Even though I'm not personally a fan of Smith, he has plenty of them in the scouting community and is ranked inside the lottery of most scouting publications. The Knights take Smith after taking a more safe selection earlier in Hayton.

16. Toronto Maple Leafs - Joseph Veleno
Looking to add talent and depth down the middle, the Leafs select Veleno, a player some seem to be projecting to fall at the NHL draft. The once heralded prospect remains a quality top 6 center in a draft that lacks them.

17. Anaheim Ducks - K´Andre Miller

The Ducks are never afraid to swing for the fences on a draft pick, always looking for the player with the highest upside. Miller, is just that. A kid who has the size and skill to dominate on the back-end, but who hasn't been playing the position for that long.

18. St. Louis Blues - Jonatan Berggren

I don't know why, but this one just makes sense to me. Berggren screams Nick Quain. The speed and skill component from the wing. The pace that he plays at should help usher in a new era in St. Louis where some old veterans will soon need wheelchairs.

19. Anaheim Ducks - Dominik Bokk

After trading up already (6 spots), Anaheim must have their eye on someone and I have a feeling that player is Bokk. The German Swede has among the highest offensive upside of any forward in the draft and, again, seems to be the type of player that Roy Larsen covets.

20. Los Angeles Kings - Jay O´Brien
This is another one that just seems to make sense to me. GM Mike McEwen has never been shy about taking players from second tier leagues. Seems like he always drafts at least one player from the Tier 2 ranks. O'Brien is the top high school player available this year and has tons of upside from the center position, if you're patient.

21. Nashville Predators - Isac Lundestrom
Something tells me that Bokk is the guy the Preds want, but they settle for Lundestrom, a kid that NHL scouts are bound to like more than armchair ones because of his well rounded game. Similar player to Lias Andersson last year.

22. New Jersey Devils - Grigori Denisenko
The new guy Chris Malec, makes his first selection in the HFNHL and he tries to hit the home run by avoiding the Russian factor. He's trying to rebuild the team's prospect pool and to do that, you need to swing for the fences at times.

23. Philadelphia Flyers - Ryan Merkley
Another one that just seems to make sense. While I'm not positive he goes in the first round of the NHL draft, I do feel confident that someone takes him in the first of the HFNHL draft. And Silvan loves his puck moving defenders who play the game with pizazz.

24. Florida Panthers - Johnny Tychonick

While Otten takes a ton of flak about drafting OHL players, the fact is that the majority of his first rounders in recent years, come from other leagues. He uses the OHL for his 2nd and 3rd rounders quite frequently, but not in the 1st. A few years ago the Panthers drafted Dennis Cholowski in the 1st out of West Coast Tier 2, and that has turned out alright so far. So why not go back and take Tychonick, a similar style of player with some upside as a puck mover.

25. New Jersey Devils - Bode Wilde
Malec makes his 2nd selection and takes Wilde after moving down a few spots with Anaheim. We know that the new Devils GM is a big proponent of American hockey, so it makes sense for one of his early selections to come from the USHL.

26. Vegas Golden Knights - Martin Kaut
A heart issue at the combine scares off some GM's, but not Lemoine who grabs the Czech winger before he can fall any farther. Hockey sense was on full display at this year's World Juniors.

27. Chicago Blackhawks - Ryan McLeod

Seems like a Dryden Lewis pick. Size, speed, skill. He gives the Blackhawks a good option down the middle moving forward.

28. Buffalo Sabres - Serron Noel

Joe Bubanj loves his players with size, so why not roll the dice on one of the draft's biggest. Noel is extremely raw, but has a ton of potential as a power winger as he grows into his frame.

29. Columbus Blue Jackets - Ty Dellandrea

Emerson goes back to the OHL to take Dellandrea, one of the draft's most underrated players after toiling in Flint this year on a poor team. He may not have the upside of some other's in this draft, but he's a safe bet to be an NHL player in some capacity.

30. Edmonton Oilers - Drake Batherson

Fresh off a surprising cup run, GM Drew Niece takes a hidden gem in this year's draft, Drake Batherson, a previously drafted NHL prospect who starred for Canada at this year's World Juniors. Niece has always had a penchant for finding these types of undrafted HFNHL, but NHL drafted players.

31. Boston Bruins - Rasmus Sandin
Boston looks to add to their blueline and selects Sandin, a very talented two-way defender out of the Soo who rarely makes a mistake with the puck. Another guy NHL scouts are bound to like more than HFNHL ones.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

32. Dallas Stars - Akil Thomas
Thomas falls out of the first round but right into the lap of Stars GM Tom Baker. Dallas is having a heck of a draft and is really re-stocking their cupboards moving forward.

33. Carolina Hurricanes - Jacob Bernard-Docker

After Tychonick went earlier, another Tier 2 player from the West (AJHL) goes early in the 2nd to Carolina. Bernard-Docker is a smooth skating, two-way defender who Carolina can take a chance on with so many high draft picks this year.

34. Vegas Golden Knights - Alexander Khovanov
This is another one that seems to fit. In Vegas, GM Lemoine has tried to find players with high upsides and he's never afraid to swing for the fences. Even though his season didn't go according to plan, the Russian import center remains very talented and seems locked in for the 2nd round on most lists.

35. Florida Panthers - Liam Foudy
A high riser in the 2nd half, this one feels exactly like an Otten pick. Foudy is one of the draft's elite skaters and plays the game the way that the NHL is trending towards.

36. New York Rangers - Blake McLaughlin
New York heads to the USHL to take one of it's highest scoring players this year in Blake McLaughlin. The craft forward is flying under the radar right now as a potential late first round pick and Gaffney is ecstatic to grab him.

37. Philadelphia Flyers - Jared McIssac
A bit of a fall for McIssac, a once thought of lottery pick for this year's draft. But the QMJHL defender remains a solid prospect and the Flyers stop his fall and bring him into the organizational whirpool.

38. Carolina Hurricanes - Aidan Dudas

Again, the Hurricanes can take a few chances this year so they opt for the undersized Dudas who if he were 6'0, would be a shoe in for the top 20 of this year's draft. Darryl Solly has never shied from taking undersized players and Dudas has great goal scoring potential.

39. Arizona Coyotes - Mattias Samuelsson
Son of Kjell, Mattias is a hulking two-way defender out of the US Development Program. Arizona takes a player who falls a bit in the HFNHL draft but is a likely first rounder in the NHL.

40. Columbus Blue Jackets - Jake Wise
Perhaps too similar to Dellandrea, but this just feels like a player that the Jackets would target under Emerson. Wise had a great second half and was once thought to be a top 5 pick for this year's draft (going back 2 years ago). Worth the dice roll at this point.

41. Dallas Stars - Nils Lundqvist
With some terrific picks already in hand, Dallas goes back to Sweden and takes a player who seems to be a bit of a mystery on the back-end. Some believe his potential is sky high. Others see him as more of a defensive player. Which is it? Opinions are very mixed.

42. Tampa Bay - Alexander Alexeyev

Seems like a Jeff Kirk kind of player. Definitely some intrigue surrounding Alexeyev, who was excellent in the WHL but hasn't exactly been highlighted internationally or at major events. Adds nicely to Tampa's blueline depth.

43. New Jersey Devils - Jack Drury
Another U.S. selection for the new Devils management, Drury, son of Ted, was a standout in the USHL this year. Hockey sense is the name of his game and he seems like a good bet to be an NHL player down the line.

44. Vancouver Canucks - Niklas Nordgren
After a standout performance at the U18's, someone is bound to draft Nordgren high despite his lack of size. Keogh always watches the U18's and puts a lot of stock in them. And again...Finland boner.

45. Nashville Predators - Jesse Ylonen
The Preds take a player who seems to be flying under the radar right now. Son of Yuha, Jesse is a talented winger who has become an after thought thanks to a late birthday. This seems like a Tony Kay pick, fo sho.

CopperAndBlueGM

Mar 9, 2017
Thanks Brock.

Admittedly, for my own sake, I really hope it doesn't come to your prediction of using a first rounder for Batherson. I already knew some one would take him before my picks in the 3rd round but I'd never have even imagined anyone considering using their first rounder on him until you his name next to the Oilers. I'm really hoping there's better left than him at 30th for Edmonton but you never know in this league of saavy GM's who will or will not be around.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad