Prospect Info: 2018 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #2

Who is the Devils second best prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Anderson is a player who has the benefit of being a glue guy on some very, very good teams. That’s not a knock on him because that’s his game, but I question where the ceiling is there. I still think he projects more as a Langenbrunner because I don’t see that high-end potential. He’s a guy that you love to have on your team and they’re very important, but they’re not game breakers.

McLeod has the skill set and the potential to be a game breaking forward. It’s looking slimmer by the day, but if McLeod can develop into a 60-70 point center like Kessler who is fast, terrific defensively, and a pain in the ass to play against, then he will be a more impactful player than Anderson ever will be, IMO.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think both McLeod and Anderson are overrated, but I like Anderson more as he seems to have some actual hockey sense.
Overrated compared to what? In the sense of top tier talent across the league? I guess? But this conversation is about "our" prospects.

You're not saying that they are overrated in our prospect pool are you? That would seem to imply that we have something much better, wouldn't it?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Anderson is a player who has the benefit of being a glue guy on some very, very good teams. That’s not a knock on him because that’s his game, but I question where the ceiling is there. I still think he projects more as a Langenbrunner because I don’t see that high-end potential. He’s a guy that you love to have on your team and they’re very important, but they’re not game breakers.

McLeod has the skill set and the potential to be a game breaking forward. It’s looking slimmer by the day, but if McLeod can develop into a 60-70 point center like Kessler who is fast, terrific defensively, and a pain in the ass to play against, then he will be a more impactful player than Anderson ever will be, IMO.
Langenbrunner and Kessler produced points exactly at the same rate (.60 PPG) in the NHL...and their peak years were hardly different 69 vs 75

Edit: .and I would argue that a RW and a Center producing the same; the RW is more valuable.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Overrated compared to what? In the sense of top tier talent across the league? I guess? But this conversation is about "our" prospects.

You're not saying that they are overrated in our prospect pool are you? That would seem to imply that we have something much better, wouldn't it?

Overrated within our own prospect pool, yes. I'm not saying we have prospects that are "much better", but I think the perceived gap between McLeod and Anderson to guys like Boqvist and Speers or Seney is way too large. These prospects are probably closer than the group consensus, in my opinion. This is in no way a comparison to any other prospect pool.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Overrated within our own prospect pool, yes. I'm not saying we have prospects that are "much better", but I think the perceived gap between McLeod and Anderson to guys like Boqvist and Speers or Seney is way too large. These prospects are probably closer than the group consensus, in my opinion. This is in no way a comparison to any other prospect pool.
Well, if we collectively call one guy 4 and another the 7th best or 10th best is that really much different? I don't know?

I do think every prospect pool has guys that will have a clear path to the NHL, even if hes only a 100 game guy...and other guys that will definitely have a tougher road.

McLeod is going to play NHL games no matter what...just like Tedenby got his chance...being an 11 overall will give the organization lots of patience. I don't think a guy like Seney would be given the same consideration.

For me personally, I think that reality should factor in.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
McLeod @ 2 for 3 straight years...It's an interesting commentary. It looks more like wishful thinking than honest prospect ranking....I really don't see how anyone could possibly have McLeod over Joey Anderson in any logical analysis.

Personally I don't think McLeod belongs in the top 5 based on the criteria who will be the best player.

I’ve watched both players for about five or six games per season in each of the past two years. All viewings on television so no live viewing. These viewings are separate and apart from any prospect camp views online. To my eyes, I’d give McLeod a slight edge over Anderson. I don’t see either as a true top six player. I see both as middle six players. In those circumstances I see McLeod offering a bit more. His speed and faceoffs will give him a bit more PK and overtime usage. I see both having their good and bad days but both playing in the NHL for numerous years barring injury. I do see Anderson having a bit more vision but I’m not sure his offensive skills are good enough for that to really matter in the NHL. To each their own of course and it’s all just opinion until they make it past the AHL but I think asserting your opinion as the only correct one is harsh. All the winning cited for Anderson is a team stat. I agree it’s no coincidence Anderson was on those teams but I just see more to the story from my admittedly limited viewings.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
lol this didn't help mikey's case
Well you did leave out this part of my post.

"while also bringing the other attributes to the table, fans we be ga ga."

McLeod put up good #'s, not great but good, but since people expected more, they overly criticize. If he was a lower pick they would give high praise.

And I bring up the 3rd round comparison because we are comparing him to a 3rd rounder. If McLeod was a lower 1st rounder people would be pretty excited as well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not all. It was to be expected...They lost a ton of offensive talent to graduation it was pretty well know before the season that would happen.

The kid is just a winner

Does Mcleod get extra points for winning gold this season? Silver last year? For a long playoff run in juniors where he led his team in points? Captained that team as well.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It's not popular opinion here, but I feel McLeod is going to pass Zacha to be 2C in a few years. He's faster, better at draws, almost as good defensively, is a good setup man, and fits perfectly into our system. My belief is that if he's paired with a good shooter on his wing (Palms or Wood?) he'll surprise.

Zacha may be better off as a power winger, or taking Zajac's place as the checking line center when the time comes.

This is, of course, just my gut feeling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->