• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
The regular poll was inconclusive, so let's do a tiebreaker:

Which forward would you want the Rangers to draft, Jake Wise or Serron Noel? Poll remains open for 24 hours.

In case of a perfect tie, tie goes to the player ranked higher by consensus lists (Noel)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Wise. I’m terrified that Noel Will turn into the forward version of McIlrath.

Really. Noel is not a fighter you know. If we're counting playoff games too he has two fights in 139 OHL games played. The guy doesn't drop the gloves. He's a big guy who kind of gets to where he's going well enough but his skating is awkward. What I've seen is a pretty simple game. Use your big body to get to the net--use your long reach and quick hands to bury pucks from 5-10 feet away. He's very good at that. He's kind of like a Simmonds who doesn't fight.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Really. Noel is not a fighter you know. If we're counting playoff games too he has two fights in 139 OHL games played. The guy doesn't drop the gloves. He's a big guy who kind of gets to where he's going well enough but his skating is awkward. What I've seen is a pretty simple game. Use your big body to get to the net--use your long reach and quick hands to bury pucks from 5-10 feet away. He's very good at that. He's kind of like a Simmonds who doesn't fight.

Honestly fighting hadn’t crossed my mind. I see a guy who is really big, really raw and is a meh skater. 5 years from now he could make me look very foolish, but I think the chances of him being an NHL player are slim.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Honestly fighting hadn’t crossed my mind. I see a guy who is really big, really raw and is a meh skater. 5 years from now he could make me look very foolish, but I think the chances of him being an NHL player are slim.
Not sure about that. His skating is fine, especially for a guy his size. He's also one of the youngest in the draft.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not sure about that. His skating is fine, especially for a guy his size. He's also one of the youngest in the draft.

He can move--he just looks awkward doing it. A Simmonds like player maybe because with his size and reach he gets to the net and is able to score a lot of goals. That's become his bread and butter and that can be useful if he can do the same at the NHL level. Simmonds is very much a power play guy with a similar kind of skillset. Dave Andreychuk scored a shitload of goals pretty much the same way. I basically have both him and Wise as 2nd rounders though.

Phnxldr

Apr 4, 2018
Honestly I think Noel had a better season, USHL isn't that good of a league.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The whole "good skater for a guy his size" thing is a huge red flag to me. Skating is the thing in the NHL. Seems like you need to be at least slightly above-average as a skater to be any kind of impact player in the NHL. If you're a big guy, and your skating is labeled as fine for a guy your size, that has always meant that in actuality you're not that good of a skater compared to the guys who are smaller than you.

Now, full disclosure, I don't know anything about this guy. I'm just saying--if his scouting report includes things like "big guy who is an okay skater for his size" I'm pretty much immediately not interested.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
The whole "good skater for a guy his size" thing is a huge red flag to me. Skating is the thing in the NHL. Seems like you need to be at least slightly above-average as a skater to be any kind of impact player in the NHL. If you're a big guy, and your skating is labeled as fine for a guy your size, that has always meant that in actuality you're not that good of a skater compared to the guys who are smaller than you.

Now, full disclosure, I don't know anything about this guy. I'm just saying--if his scouting report includes things like "big guy who is an okay skater for his size" I'm pretty much immediately not interested.

No, he's an above average skater in general. Just especially so for his size. He's not Brian boyle.

He's a big kid who can get up and down the ice quickly. He still looks a tad awkward doing it cause he's 6'5 at 17. Still a lot he could do with getting a cleaner stride and being slightly less lanky, but he's a kid. This would of course be a project pick. Then again, so was kreider.

He's a decent puck handler, a good skater and a great athlete in general. High work ethic. He's about average for an nhl player everywhere except his athleticism, which is well above average. That all sounds pretty good for a 6'5 guy who is an August bday.

He's got loads of question marks of course. But if he doesn't make it, it'll be less because of any physical attribute than his sometimes questionable reads and decisions.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think people got too worked up about taking a forward because we went D st 9 and 26 so here we are.

I think so too. Personally all things being equal--I'd rather a dman at 9 and F's at 26 and 28. The way this has played out I'd rather 3 D's--simply best player available with the 26 and 28. I would do that. I'd rather Sandin than either Wise or Noel.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
OHL isn't either.

.85 vs. 1.56 is a huge difference.
Noel just never moves the needle for me. For someone that's his size, he doesn't use that size to drive play for his teammates. The few times I saw him, I came away saying, "That's it?" Even his U18s were underwhelming and I see him as a total passenger. I like Gorton's draft last year because Lias and Chytil both have a history of being play-drivers, and that's been evident this season.

I want kids with that attack-first mentality. Wise has that edge over Noel, coupled with some top-notch vision. He, like Veleno, is a kid whose offense may never materialize at the NHL level, but the rest of his game will make him a useful NHL player.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think so too. Personally all things being equal--I'd rather a dman at 9 and F's at 26 and 28. The way this has played out I'd rather 3 D's--simply best player available with the 26 and 28. I would do that. I'd rather Sandin than either Wise or Noel.
I want BPA at every pick. With the state of the organizational depth there is no reason to be picky.

Reactions: Inferno

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I think people got too worked up about taking a forward because we went D st 9 and 26 so here we are.

Guilty as charged. There were better players at D in the original poll and I went with Wise - probably not smart of me to do, but I'm ok with wise at 28 considering he probably won't be there by 39 and I do think he's a tad underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->