2018 HF Team Boards Mock Draft -- Pick #21

Pick #21

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Every year there's a mock draft done by the team boards of HF -- here are the results of 2015, 2016, and 2017. Rules are easy: just pick the player you want your team to draft based on who is still available; "trade the pick" is not an option ;)

2018 Mock Draft
1 BUF --- D Rasmus Dahlin 117/126 (93%)
2 CAR --- F Andrei Svechnikov 69/74 (93%)
3 MTL --- F Filip Zadina 56/71 (79%)
4 OTT --- F Brady Tkachuk 38/71 (54%)
5 ARI --- F Oliver Wahlstrom 34/49 (69%)
6 DET --- D Adam Boqvist 41/93 (44%)
7 VAN --- D Quinton Hughes 34/64 (53%)
8 CHI --- D Evan Bouchard 28/39 (72%)
9 NYR --- D Noah Dobson 61/132 (46%)
10 EDM --- F Jesperi Kotkaniemi 41/65 (63%)
11 NYI --- F Joseph Veleno 52/68 (76%)
12 NYI* --- D Ty Smith 44/68 (65%)
13 DAL --- F Joel Farabee 10/30 (33%)
14 PHI* --- F Vitali Kravtsov 30/67 (45%)
15 FLA --- F Grigori Denisenko 5/18 (28%)
16 COL --- F Barrett Hayton 15/47 (32%)
17 NJD --- D Bode Wilde 23/63 (37%) (Tiebreaker)
18 CBJ --- F Rasmus Kupari 9/27 (33%)
19 PHI --- F Jonatan Berggren 38/55 (69%)
20 LAK --- F Dominik Bokk 8/25 (32%)
21 SJS ---
22 OTT* ---
23 ANA ---
24 MIN ---
25 TOR ---
26 NYR* ---
27 CHI* ---
28 NYR* ---
29 STL* ---

Last edited:

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I see Miller, Samuelsson and Woo as the top three options here.

I'd like to quote a poster on the Flyers board regarding Miller;
... Sandin and Samuelsson are right there for me too, but I think Miller is both a little safer than Sandin (due to skating/size) and has a touch more upside than Samuelsson, if a lower floor and not quite as reliable yet. If I was on the Devils board, I'd have voted him in that tiebreaker.

After the Chosen One, Miller is probably the 2nd most toolsy d-man in the draft. He's 6'4, physical, and a great skater -- real athletic. Also used to be a forward until several years ago, so he's got solid hands. People knock his defensive a little and his consistency, saying he has maturation to do, and I guess that's true, but it doesn't really worry me or stand out terribly; I've watched him a lot, and I never thought his lows were that low. I think he'll get there. He's a hard worker, and I think his intelligence and puck skills/moving are both projectably above average, though not dazzling. Don't think he possesses great offensive creativity or o-zone instincts besides just cycle and shoot, but his toolsiness most manifests off the rush or creating individually. He didn't play that much on the PP, as they had a ton of d-men cycling. Not sure it will be his forte, but who knows? He certainly just looks like an NHL d-man, though I think his upside is more 2nd pair than home run. I think Phil Myers is more aggressive all-over (and better), but maybe you'd hope that's the general type of player he becomes with his skill-set.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
Uh... I think you need to add to your list: "Sharks suddenly trade down and go waaaaaaay off the board to select ______ of _______ (second tier junior/college program) - A player that ISS had going 173rd. _________ has decent top speed and a good first step for his size, though he'll need to work on it to fit at the pro level. His shot and hands are a work in progress - below average - but his hockey IQ is outstanding and he brings great 'character' to the ice most shifts - though he takes the odd shift off. Tim Burke is ecstatic, his f*** is rock hard. Deboer is calling him the next Dylan Demelo, which he apparently believes is high praise. A veritable revolving door of Sharks fans have had to be talked down from the roof of the Hotel DeAnza, and as such are banned from high structures in the greater San Jose metro area in perpetuity. If you are a Sharks fan, and believe yourself to be a danger to your own well being, there is help. A Sharks-drafting crisis line has been established and can be reached at '1-866-TIM-BURKe will never be fired and the sharks will never win a cup in your lifetime so you may as well just die now cause all your hopes are futile' (You don't have to dial all those last letters, but it might make you feel better)."

As a long time Sharks fan I feel confident in saying that that "player" is always available in the first round. Revise your list.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
My pick is Jett Woo. He or Merkley wouldn’t be bad but I’m almost certain that Jett Woo will be pretty damn good, where as Ryan Merkley has some serious concerns.

K’Andre Miller is another one that doesn’t sound bad but we desperately need RHD prospects. We already have Vlasic, Dillon, and Ryan in the NHL as LHD, with Ferraro and a few other guys waiting. What we need is some more natural right handed defensemen, because both Braun and DeMelo aren’t really cutting it at this point.

Ferraro-Woo could be a strong 3rd pairing as early as 2020.

Last edited:

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Jett Woo is awesome, but its a home run pick the Sharks would never make haha

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Jake Wise is my pick, but that’s probably just because I’m more familiar with him than anyone else on this list. I’d be happy with Miller, Woo, or Merkley as well. I think we probably ought to take a D, so long as there isn’t a far-and-away BPA that’s a forward.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Jake Wise is my pick, but that’s probably just because I’m more familiar with him than anyone else on this list. I’d be happy with Miller, Woo, or Merkley as well. I think we probably ought to take a D, so long as there isn’t a far-and-away BPA that’s a forward.

I think any one of Wilde, Merkley, or Woo would be great picks. Merkley is the high skill, boom or bust guy, but Woo and Wilde both look to have a solid upside. I really think we need to draft a right handed defenseman. Braun and Burns are both on the wrong side of 30, DeMelo is not an NHL player, and we don’t have anybody in the pipeline that looks like an NHL RD.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Can I change my pick lol..This kid looks like a game changer.

Yeah, after watching this, and doing some research, I’m officially on the Merkley train and I’m not getting off. I would be happy with Wilde or Woo, but we need another game changer. I have faith in our staff to build a pretty solid group of secondary talent, but we need a game changer. Merkley’s offensive numbers show that he could absolutely be a game changer and after doing some more research, I think his “character issues” and his defensive issues are a bit overblown. His offensive performance on one of the worst teams in his league is ridiculous.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think any one of Wilde, Merkley, or Woo would be great picks. Merkley is the high skill, boom or bust guy, but Woo and Wilde both look to have a solid upside. I really think we need to draft a right handed defenseman. Braun and Burns are both on the wrong side of 30, DeMelo is not an NHL player, and we don’t have anybody in the pipeline that looks like an NHL RD.

Roy and Bergman on the RHD, and Ferraro and Simek on the LHD. Slim pickings, in general.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Roy and Bergman on the RHD, and Ferraro and Simek on the LHD. Slim pickings, in general.

With his last injury, I have completely given up on Jeremy Roy. I was excited for Simek when he signed here, but I don’t think he will be an NHLer after a disappointing AHL season at age 25. That’s too old not to be kicking ass in the AHL. Bergman I know little about but the prognosis doesn’t look good.

I am optimistic about Ferraro, but I’ve also watched either very little or absolutely none of these guys, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. It’s certainly slim pickings.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Can I change my pick lol..This kid looks like a game changer.

He absolutely has game-breaking skill. Question is will he put in effort in defense, is he coachable, can he fit into an NHL locker room.

Our D prospect pool is atrocious. If the Sharks talk to Merkley and decide he can fit in here, then I’m all for it. Insane talent.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I put K’Andre, since I think his size makes him a slightly safer pick. Cencensus seems to have us picking a defenseman this year, which I think is the right choice. If we went Merkley, Woo or Miller - I think each had their own pros and cons.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He absolutely has game-breaking skill. Question is will he put in effort in defense, is he coachable, can he fit into an NHL locker room.

Our D prospect pool is atrocious. If the Sharks talk to Merkley and decide he can fit in here, then I’m all for it. Insane talent.
Yep was about to post the same thing. If there is even a question about his effort, Sharks don’t take him. Also I’d be pissed if we picked Miller. Seems like a clear bust to me compared to some other players around us. I also feel the same way about Tkachuk. I’d love to take Wilde or Woo though. Also I’d rather trade down and take Tychonick if we want that offensive D. But with the available picks, if we don’t take Kaut we will regret taking whoever we have no mattered it is. It will be the equivalent of the lower end Meier vs Barzal.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yep was about to post the same thing. If there is even a question about his effort, Sharks don’t take him. Also I’d be pissed if we picked Miller. Seems like a clear bust to me compared to some other players around us. I also feel the same way about Tkachuk. I’d love to take Wilde or Woo though. Also I’d rather trade down and take Tychonick if we want that offensive D. But with the available picks, if we don’t take Kaut we will regret taking whoever we have no mattered it is. It will be the equivalent of the lower end Meier vs Barzal.

What’s so special about Kaut? I’ve never seen him play but at a glance he’s one of the oldest players in the draft and he hasn’t even come close to touching Hertl’s draft year numbers.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
What’s so special about Kaut? I’ve never seen him play but at a glance he’s one of the oldest players in the draft and he hasn’t even come close to touching Hertl’s draft year numbers.
In my opinion Kaut Bokk and Denisenko are the three players that aren’t going to be top 10 picks but they have the highest possibility to put up lots of points

Here’s my favorite scouting report on him

Martin Kaut Scouting Report: 2018 NHL Draft #28 - Last Word on Hockey

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->