There are some good options.

Kaut is growing on me.
But until my research is complete I still cannot offer a pick

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
That's comparing Sandin to the two USHL defensemen on this list. It's also important to note that he does not compare favorably to other CHL defensemen, most notably Jared McIsaac/Ryan Merkley but also Alex Alexeyev.

Comparing in what sense?

I just have read a lot of "tools/no toolbox" type comments about Wilde and Miller. We've had plenty of those in recent years.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Comparing in what sense?

I just have read a lot of "tools/no toolbox" type comments about Wilde and Miller. We've had plenty of those in recent years.

There have been no questions about Miller's "toolbox". His intelligence and hockey sense are all high-end. He just has a higher development curve due to the fact that he has only been playing defense for a few seasons. Wilde's "toolbox" questions have all been related to consistency and effort. At times, Wilde seems to completely take over games. At other times, he can disappear.

As far as tools go, Wilde's are probably a touch more tantalizing than Miller's. While K'Andre is a bit bigger and stronger and more physical, Wilde is just an explosive skater who takes a single step to hit high gear and then just has jersey-flapping speed. Miller is a great skater too, but for a 6'1-200 D to skate like Bode is not exactly common. Wilde also has a superior shot to Miller.

The reason why both of these kids are being talked about in the middle of the first round in a very deep draft is clear. They are both simply phenomenal athletes and hockey players, and they both have off-the-charts potential.

The reason why both of these kids are not being talked about in the top 10 is because they both have a lot of work to do before reaching their enormous potentials.

But it's important to note that they're both really smart kids, especially Miller. There is no "toolbox" problem. For a kid who fits that description, we can talk about Ryan Merkley, who has Erik Karlsson-like upside, but will likely also be available at #17 due to character concerns.

Ultimately, I would be thrilled with a pick of Miller or Wilde. I would be nervous but excited about a pick like Merkley. I'd be happy with McIsaac, who is clearly the best of the more defensive minded blueliners likely to be available at #17. I'd be on cloud 9 if a kid like Ty Smith somehow fell. I'd be fine with trading down into the late 20s, recouping a second rounder, and taking a guy like Alexeyev or Lundqvist or Tyonchick or Woo or even Sandin.

To me, the only nightmare scenarios involve using the #17 pick to either take a player we already have better versions of (Lundestrom, Denisenko) or reaching for a"safe" D with no appreciable dynamic skills (Sandin, Samuelsson).

Reactions: nugg

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
At 17, with the current state of the team, this is a pick where you can take a risk. You don’t want to be making risky picks in the top 5 but 17 isn’t a crapshoot per se but shooting for upside rather than safety is kind of where I think the franchise needs to be heading. Obviously taking unnecessary risks is different but picking someone like Merkley is where I’m at.

Sandin is a reach where we’re at. I’d trade back, collect a 2nd and 3rd and nab him. Which honestly, is my preferred strategy.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
There have been no questions about Miller's "toolbox". His intelligence and hockey sense are all high-end. He just has a higher development curve due to the fact that he has only been playing defense for a few seasons. Wilde's "toolbox" questions have all been related to consistency and effort. At times, Wilde seems to completely take over games. At other times, he can disappear.

As far as tools go, Wilde's are probably a touch more tantalizing than Miller's. While K'Andre is a bit bigger and stronger and more physical, Wilde is just an explosive skater who takes a single step to hit high gear and then just has jersey-flapping speed. Miller is a great skater too, but for a 6'1-200 D to skate like Bode is not exactly common. Wilde also has a superior shot to Miller.

The reason why both of these kids are being talked about in the middle of the first round in a very deep draft is clear. They are both simply phenomenal athletes and hockey players, and they both have off-the-charts potential.

The reason why both of these kids are not being talked about in the top 10 is because they both have a lot of work to do before reaching their enormous potentials.

But it's important to note that they're both really smart kids, especially Miller. There is no "toolbox" problem. For a kid who fits that description, we can talk about Ryan Merkley, who has Erik Karlsson-like upside, but will likely also be available at #17 due to character concerns.

Ultimately, I would be thrilled with a pick of Miller or Wilde. I would be nervous but excited about a pick like Merkley. I'd be happy with McIsaac, who is clearly the best of the more defensive minded blueliners likely to be available at #17. I'd be on cloud 9 if a kid like Ty Smith somehow fell. I'd be fine with trading down into the late 20s, recouping a second rounder, and taking a guy like Alexeyev or Lundqvist or Tyonchick or Woo or even Sandin.

To me, the only nightmare scenarios involve using the #17 pick to either take a player we already have better versions of (Lundestrom, Denisenko) or reaching for a"safe" D with no appreciable dynamic skills (Sandin, Samuelsson).

Denisenko can be a nightmare for opponents!

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Denisenko can be a nightmare for opponents!

Agreed. But so can Kravtsov, Bokk, Thomas -- at least two of whom should be available at #17 and all can play a position of greater organizational need of RW. And it's perfectly fine if one believes that Denisenko will be the best out of the four (I respect all educated opinions), but most draft pundits have the other three being drafted ahead of him. I would have to say that Denisenko at #17 would be a mistake.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I like a lot of them.

At the moment, from the list, I'm looking at Bokk, Kaut, Berggren, Wilde and Miller.

The Russian Denesenko should not be overlooked , remember that name.

I like Berggren -- he reminds me a lot of Viktor Arvidsson, who I'm a huge fan of. But you can't take him at #17, he's a guy the Devils could trade down to the early 2nd round and still likely get. His skills are there, but they have yet to catch up with his tenacity.

I respect Denisenko and your high regard for him, but I just don't see how you can take him if Kravtsov, Thomas or Bokk were available.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
At 17, with the current state of the team, this is a pick where you can take a risk. You don’t want to be making risky picks in the top 5 but 17 isn’t a crapshoot per se but shooting for upside rather than safety is kind of where I think the franchise needs to be heading. Obviously taking unnecessary risks is different but picking someone like Merkley is where I’m at.

Sandin is a reach where we’re at. I’d trade back, collect a 2nd and 3rd and nab him. Which honestly, is my preferred strategy.

I would be fine. It would not be out of the realm of possibility for Detroit, with picks at 6, 30, 33 & 36, to trade up into the middle of the first round. Would the Devils trade #17 for, say, #30, #33 and maybe a third rounder? I don't know, but at #30 the Devils could still have a very good chance at Alexeyev or Tyonchick or Sandin, and could add a very good F at #33 like Kaut or Wise or Berggren or even Denisenko. I'm not saying NJ should do this deal, just that it would not be out of the realm of logic.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Agreed. But so can Kravtsov, Bokk, Thomas -- at least two of whom should be available at #17 and all can play a position of greater organizational need of RW. And it's perfectly fine if one believes that Denisenko will be the best out of the four (I respect all educated opinions), but most draft pundits have the other three being drafted ahead of him. I would have to say that Denisenko at #17 would be a mistake.

I'd take Bokk over him but I see Bokk long gone by 17

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'd take Bokk over him but I see Bokk long gone by 17

I honestly don't see a chance in the universe of Bokk cracking the top 10. So we are talking about the the 11-16 picks. Considering some of the forwards still available could be Farabee, Kotkaniemi, Veleno and the D available could include Smith and Dobson, I can't see Bokk being taken ahead of any of those guys. So we're talking about one or two picks where a team might be considering between Hayton/Wilde/Kravtsov/Thomas/McIsaac/Miller/Kupari/Lundestrom/Noel/Merkley etc etc. I don't think we can call it a slam dunk that Bokk goes ahead of everyone in that group. In fact, I would say it is very likely that Bokk is available at 17 overall.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
With the information I have, I wouldn't pick Merkley. But if Ray picks him, I'd be very excited because I have faith that they thoroughly did their research (actually talking to the player and stuff like that) and believe they can get him to play some defense, even if a little bit.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Went with Bokk, but I mean there are quite a few other guys I could have easily chosen as well. I just really like Bokk's upside and think he could be the perfect compliment to Hall and Nico down the line.

Though I wouldn't be upset with Wilde or Miller at all.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Many astute hockey fans agree with me about Greene

I would not take a Greene clone at 17th overall

Astute? You saying I'm not astute? :laugh:

Obviously you're looking for a complete player in the first round, you and I agree here. But you can't say Greene was not a top pair d-man and cite it being during non-playoff years when you know better that it was our lack of offense that put us there in the majority of those seasons.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I would absolutely sign up for a ~30 point top pairing (for a few years at the very least) LHD at 17th overall.

Man, some of you guys have no idea on the history of draft slots overall, do you? What are the odds someone picked in the back half of round 1 even becomes an NHL regular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad