• F Thomas Akil

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You know what, with Kravtsov doubling everyone in votes, I'm just voting Berggren. Feels good, man.

giphy.gif

*let the record state this is the 2nd Carl Weathers bromance gif I've posted today

It has gotten to the point now where if we don't pick him, I am probably going to throw things or punch the ceiling.

Reactions: Magua and Stizzle

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I would like to see the Flyers take Kravtsov and Berggren; and believe there is a higher likelihood of Berggren being around at 19 so went Kravtsov at 14.

Maybe if hexy drafts a few more hitmen he could make u into a fan? :)

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Didnt mean draft some in the first just draft more hitmen in general :laugh:

[off-topic]

The Hitmen field is tough to gauge this year because the team was so bad, and most of their draft eligibles were picked up in trades (so guys going from bottom-6 roles on good teams to top-6 roles on a bad team). My thoughts:

1) Riley Stotts is a player. He gets overlooked because his production in Swift Current was pathetic, but he was seeing really limited ice on an already stacked team. He moved to Calgary, got put top line centre and top powerplay, and basically went point per game on one of the worst teams in the league. He's a good skater and has a hell of a shot. I think he's going to be a steal in the 4th or 5th round, and could be one of those guys that in four years people wonder how so many teams pass on him.

2) Tristan Neilsen has always looked like he's going to be good, but never really grew and his production never moved along. He's always looked really good but small, and every time I watch him I have the thought of "man, in 2 years he's going to be amazing". Of course, now that it's been 4 years of thinking that I'm worried he's never going to get there.

3) Carson Focht is another guy, like Stotts, that came over from a bottom-6 role to a top-6. His production didn't pick up so he doesn't really get the hype Stotts does. I think this is largely utilization based, but he also just doesn't have the tools of the other guys on the list.

4) Yegor Zamula seems to get some traction in deeper draft lists but I can't say he stands out much. Another guy that came over in a mid-season trade and seems... solid.

5) Orca Wiesblatt shows up on some draft lists too, but I think it's mostly that he has a memorable name and the Wiesblatt brothers have been kicked around as a potential "dynasty" family for so long. I really don't see him getting drafted or making the NHL.

6) Drea Esposito, like Nielsen, has always looked like he should develop but never does. He's a lanky, rangy defenceman that skates well but that's about it. Longshot at making the NHL but also has that late-bloomer feel to him.

7) He's low on the list, but Vladislav Yeryomenko is a good overager candidate to be picked. He's steady, can skate well, and has been a big part of team Belarus at the WJC for 2 years now. I think he's a year behind on development because of the whole import thing, so even though this is his second year of draft eligibility, he feels like he's in his first year of eligibility. If he was a year younger, I'd probably put him in the third or fourth round, and wouldn't be surprised to see him get drafted late. If he goes undrafted, he'll almost certainly get a camp invite and is a longshot candidate at a PTO or even a camp signee.

8) I guess technically Mark Kastelic is eligible again this year as an overager as well. He's a gritty forward, and could develop into a bottom-6 guy (think Ryan White), but I don't see why anyone would take a chance on him when there are similar players with higher upside.

Next year looks better with players like Cael Zimmerman, Bryce Bader, and Jackson van de Leest eligible. van de Leest has been occasionally suggested as a first round talent, but I think that's mostly on the mantra of "you can't teach size" (6'6"/215 as a 16 year old).

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
[off-topic]

1) Riley Stotts is a player. He gets overlooked because his production in Swift Current was pathetic, but he was seeing really limited ice on an already stacked team. He moved to Calgary, got put top line centre and top powerplay, and basically went point per game on one of the worst teams in the league. He's a good skater and has a hell of a shot. I think he's going to be a steal in the 4th or 5th round, and could be one of those guys that in four years people wonder how so many teams pass on him.

Couldn’t agree more. If he lasts until the 4th / 5th rounds, some team will likely be getting a major steal. I have him wayyy higher on my list than that.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
[off-topic]

The Hitmen field is tough to gauge this year because the team was so bad, and most of their draft eligibles were picked up in trades (so guys going from bottom-6 roles on good teams to top-6 roles on a bad team). My thoughts:

2) Tristan Neilsen has always looked like he's going to be good, but never really grew and his production never moved along. He's always looked really good but small, and every time I watch him I have the thought of "man, in 2 years he's going to be amazing". Of course, now that it's been 4 years of thinking that I'm worried he's never going to get there.

3) Carson Focht is another guy, like Stotts, that came over from a bottom-6 role to a top-6. His production didn't pick up so he doesn't really get the hype Stotts does. I think this is largely utilization based, but he also just doesn't have the tools of the other guys on the list.

4) Yegor Zamula seems to get some traction in deeper draft lists but I can't say he stands out much. Another guy that came over in a mid-season trade and seems... solid.

5) Orca Wiesblatt shows up on some draft lists too, but I think it's mostly that he has a memorable name and the Wiesblatt brothers have been kicked around as a potential "dynasty" family for so long. I really don't see him getting drafted or making the NHL.

6) Drea Esposito, like Nielsen, has always looked like he should develop but never does. He's a lanky, rangy defenceman that skates well but that's about it. Longshot at making the NHL but also has that late-bloomer feel to him.

7) He's low on the list, but Vladislav Yeryomenko is a good overager candidate to be picked. He's steady, can skate well, and has been a big part of team Belarus at the WJC for 2 years now. I think he's a year behind on development because of the whole import thing, so even though this is his second year of draft eligibility, he feels like he's in his first year of eligibility. If he was a year younger, I'd probably put him in the third or fourth round, and wouldn't be surprised to see him get drafted late. If he goes undrafted, he'll almost certainly get a camp invite and is a longshot candidate at a PTO or even a camp signee.

8) I guess technically Mark Kastelic is eligible again this year as an overager as well. He's a gritty forward, and could develop into a bottom-6 guy (think Ryan White), but I don't see why anyone would take a chance on him when there are similar players with higher upside.

Next year looks better with players like Cael Zimmerman, Bryce Bader, and Jackson van de Leest eligible. van de Leest has been occasionally suggested as a first round talent, but I think that's mostly on the mantra of "you can't teach size" (6'6"/215 as a 16 year old).

Thanks for the write up :thumbu:

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
[off-topic]

You're making Mr. Melnyk feel pretty pretty good about his mock draft selection.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I voted Kupari but I think Wilde might be yhe pick if it shakes out this way.
I'm not a huge fan of Wilde. He's got a terrific shot, but he sure seems tunnel-visioned. And maybe his top speed is good, but I wonder if his lateral mobility is as great as some of the reports would have you believe. I watch him, and I just don't see that hyper-aware, high-vision type of defenseman that I like.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
FWIW...here is how it has fallen since we picked and it looks like NJ will be taking Miller or Wilde....both tied in votes and way ahead.

2018 Mock Draft
1 BUF --- D Rasmus Dahlin 117/126 (93%)
2 CAR --- F Andrei Svechnikov 69/74 (93%)
3 MTL --- F Filip Zadina 56/71 (79%)
4 OTT --- F Brady Tkachuk 38/71 (54%)
5 ARI --- F Oliver Wahlstrom 34/49 (69%)
6 DET --- D Adam Boqvist 41/93 (44%)
7 VAN --- D Quinton Hughes 34/64 (53%)
8 CHI --- D Evan Bouchard 28/39 (72%)
9 NYR --- D Noah Dobson 61/132 (46%)
10 EDM --- F Jesperi Kotkaniemi 41/65 (63%)
11 NYI --- F Joseph Veleno 52/68 (76%)
12 NYI* --- D Ty Smith 44/68 (65%)
13 DAL --- F Joel Farabee 10/30 (33%)
14 PHI* --- F Vitali Kravtsov 30/67 (45%)
15 FLA --- F Grigori Denisenko 5/18 (28%)
16 COL --- F Barrett Hayton 15/47 (32%)
17 NJD ---
18 CBJ ---
19 PHI ---

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm not a huge fan of Wilde. He's got a terrific shot, but he sure seems tunnel-visioned. And maybe his top speed is good, but I wonder if his lateral mobility is as great as some of the reports would have you believe. I watch him, and I just don't see that hyper-aware, high-vision type of defenseman that I like.
As built up as our blue line is, I'd like to add another big RHD. I like Kupari and voted for him, but I think they'll be looking to add a guy like Wilde in the event Myers don't pan out or gets got in ED.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As built up as our blue line is, I'd like to add another big RHD. I like Kupari and voted for him, but I think they'll be looking to add a guy like Wilde in the event Myers don't pan out or gets got in ED.
We can do that at #19 as well though.

Certainly on paper, grabbing a F and a D with the 2 1sts makes sense.

This does show how different people see things. Our 7th ranked guy in votes, Denisenko, got picked right after our pick at #15.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Personally, I'm not a fan of drafting by position unless I have two players rated equally. Especially early in the draft. But that's just me.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
FWIW...here is how it has fallen since we picked and it looks like NJ will be taking Miller or Wilde....both tied in votes and way ahead.

2018 Mock Draft
1 BUF --- D Rasmus Dahlin 117/126 (93%)
2 CAR --- F Andrei Svechnikov 69/74 (93%)
3 MTL --- F Filip Zadina 56/71 (79%)
4 OTT --- F Brady Tkachuk 38/71 (54%)
5 ARI --- F Oliver Wahlstrom 34/49 (69%)
6 DET --- D Adam Boqvist 41/93 (44%)
7 VAN --- D Quinton Hughes 34/64 (53%)
8 CHI --- D Evan Bouchard 28/39 (72%)
9 NYR --- D Noah Dobson 61/132 (46%)
10 EDM --- F Jesperi Kotkaniemi 41/65 (63%)
11 NYI --- F Joseph Veleno 52/68 (76%)
12 NYI* --- D Ty Smith 44/68 (65%)
13 DAL --- F Joel Farabee 10/30 (33%)
14 PHI* --- F Vitali Kravtsov 30/67 (45%)
15 FLA --- F Grigori Denisenko 5/18 (28%)
16 COL --- F Barrett Hayton 15/47 (32%)
17 NJD ---
18 CBJ ---
19 PHI ---
I cannot see Barrett Hayton making it to 14. I think someone will reach for him because he is a center.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Personally, I'm not a fan of drafting by position unless I have two players rated equally. Especially early in the draft. But that's just me.

One of the interesting angles I saw someone take this offseason was something I didn't agree with, but it made me question whether I could agree with it in a smaller scope.

The original premise was passing on Dahlin because NHL systems don't tend to wring full offensive value out of Defensemen, which is frankly absurd to me. But what if you're an org like this one where you're picking in the middle of the first and have generally excellent depth already? If you have a Forward and a Defenseman with an equal scouting grade and you're not going to unleash the latter, does that mean you should push the Forward ahead?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
One of the interesting angles I saw someone take this offseason was something I didn't agree with, but it made me question whether I could agree with it in a smaller scope.

The original premise was passing on Dahlin because NHL systems don't tend to wring full offensive value out of Defensemen, which is frankly absurd to me. But what if you're an org like this one where you're picking in the middle of the first and have generally excellent depth already? If you have a Forward and a Defenseman with an equal scouting grade and you're not going to unleash the latter, does that mean you should push the Forward ahead?
Hm. Interesting, but I don't necessarily agree with it. Even though teams now are structure-obsessed and frown on defensemen playing as a rover, I don't think their hesitance to fully unleash a defenseman offensively diminishes their overall value. In fact, I'd argue puck handling defensemen are more important in the modern game than ever before because, as the game has gotten increasingly faster, it is imperative to have a strong transition game.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
But what if you're an org like this one where you're picking in the middle of the first and have generally excellent depth already? If you have a Forward and a Defenseman with an equal scouting grade and you're not going to unleash the latter, does that mean you should push the Forward ahead?

But what if you’re a team who won’t unleash either? :naughty:

Also, is this a backdoor Merkley reference? It better not be!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I took a peak to see how Florida voted in voting for Denis.

He won....with a total of 5 votes
Hayton had 3 votes

They only had 18 people vote IN TOTAL!

:eyeroll:

And lots of Avs fans are upset we took Kravstov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad