2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Thinking out loud more then anything...

Adam McQuaid might be on the outs in Boston. They have McAvoy-Carlo-Miller/McQuaid on their right side. He expires after this year so the long term implications wouldn't really exist. That being said, I am not sure Boston trades him to us. He'd bring an element of toughness to our back end though that we currently lack. He's a bit sheltered in his useage at 5v5. Hard to even gauge his value if a deal was to be made.

LOVE to have him. But not happening

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Those two extra UFA years we're getting with a 7 year Nylander (insted of Larkin's 5) contract would bump the price by a decent amount

Ehlers signed before the cap took a sizable jump so his 6M is pretty unrealistic at this point unless he's willing to take a very team friendly contract

We've got some power in this negotiation but I doubt 6.3M is happening without some serious pressure or less years (like Larkin's 5) which could bite us in the ass in 5 years time when we're in a much worse bargaining position
It's only one extra UFA year, not 2.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Why are we so worried about whats going to happen in 5 years if we only sign Nylander to a 5 year deal? Could be possible that it works in our favor as well? As long as we can keep Nylander for another 5 years at a lower cap hit, which gives us flexibility to sign everyone back and more. This is all we should hope for. With the core in place for at least 5 more years at a low cap hit should allow us to add to core and be better contenders for the cup!!!

Last thing I want is to be Chicago where they are stuck paying someone like Toews after the first 5 years of his new deal was when they won cups.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It's only one extra UFA year, not 2.
You're correct. Nylander currently has 5 RFA years remaining, whereas Larkin only has 4 - a 7-year deal for Nylander would take up only one more UFA year (2 in total) than Larkin's 5-year contract is taking up (only 1).

Reactions: kb

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You're correct. Nylander currently has 5 RFA years remaining, whereas Larkin only has 4 - a 7-year deal for Nylander would take up only one more UFA year (2 in total) than Larkin's 5-year contract is taking up (only 1).

Has Larkin already been bridged?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Has Larkin already been bridged?
No, but he's played 3 full seasons up to this point, making him a UFA after 4 more pro seasons. Nylander played less than 40 NHL games in his first season, meaning his UFA eligibility slid a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb and Kiwi

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Are you a leafs fan?
Absolutely impossible. Why would anyone decimate the team like that by trading new and upcoming for players no more than a year or 2 away from retirement, and effectively ending their window before it starts.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Why are we so worried about whats going to happen in 5 years if we only sign Nylander to a 5 year deal? Could be possible that it works in our favor as well? As long as we can keep Nylander for another 5 years at a lower cap hit, which gives us flexibility to sign everyone back and more. This is all we should hope for. With the core in place for at least 5 more years at a low cap hit should allow us to add to core and be better contenders for the cup!!!

Last thing I want is to be Chicago where they are stuck paying someone like Toews after the first 5 years of his new deal was when they won cups.
Toews is on his third deal. Not sure the relevance. Having Nylander for 2-3 extra prime years on his second deal for maybe an extra million per tops is a very shrewd investment.

Zipper

Jul 16, 2018
Absolutely impossible. Why would anyone decimate the team like that by trading new and upcoming for players no more than a year or 2 away from retirement, and effectively ending their window before it starts.

Lol, really Carrick is probably last on the leafs future plans to sign long term.
If we ha'd to trade one of our big 3, personally i'd trade Nylander
it has nothing to do with me not being a leaf fan, i go to many games every year.

Honestly what would you give up for a 7th-8th D, with experience & leadership skills + can still play 15mins+ per night & fight if needed?

Carrick

for

Kronwall

It's a fair deal now and during the trade deadline, especially if Detroit retained 50% of Kronwall's contract.
Also we would pick up Justin Abdelkader to fill Nylanders spot on they 2nd line he's signed for 5-years 2.750M cheaper if WIlliam signs for 7M
not to mention we will lose one of our big-3 in the next 5-years....it's a win win, we get our much needed top RHD + a solid filler in Justin.

1st round 2019
2nd round 2019
Bracco

for

Abdelkader

Winnipeg Jets will loose a defender, Myers or Trouba are solid players with number-1 potential.
How could you say the Jet's don't need offense lol, i'm sure Laine wold love to have William Center his line.

Ehlers-Nylander-Laine

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Also we would pick up Justin Abdelkader to fill Nylanders spot on they 2nd line he's signed for 5-years 2.750M cheaper if WIlliam signs for 7M
not to mention we will lose one of our big-3 in the next 5-years....it's a win win, we get our much needed top RHD + a solid filler in Justin.

1st round 2019
2nd round 2019
Bracco

for

Abdelkader

I want to hear from @Canada4Gold on this one.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I want to hear from @Canada4Gold on this one.

71057608.jpg

(hopefully you get the reference lol)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Lol, really Carrick is probably last on the leafs future plans to sign long term.
it has nothing to do with me not being a leaf fan, i go to many games every year.

Honestly what would you give up for a 7th-8th D, with experience & leadership skills + can still play 15mins+ per night & fight if needed?

Carrick

for

Kronwall

It's a fair deal now and during the trade deadline, especially if Detroit retained 50% of Kronwall's contract.

1st round 2019
2nd round 2019
Bracco

for

Abdelkader

Winnipeg Jets will loose a defender, Myers or Trouba are solid players with number-1 potential.
How could you say the Jet's don't need offense lol, i'm sure Laine wold love to have William Center his line.

Ehlers-Nylander-Laine

Abdelkader and Kronwall?

It's official, the trade thread has officially "jumped the shark", people are so bored there screwing over there own team at this point

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

Carrick

for

Kronwall

1st round 2019
2nd round 2019
Bracco

for

Abdelkader

Ehlers-Nylander-Laine

Dude. Just stop please.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017

Id gladly lose marner or nylander or pay matthews 12 mil a year if in five years from now we have three cups

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Funny, because Toews' first deal was 5 years (what you are suggesting for Nylander).

They THEN signed him to the 8 year, $10.5M extension.

Had they initially signed him to an 8 year deal, they would be out of it in 12 months from now. No chance he would be getting anywhere near his current deal.

In fact, they probably wished they gave him that 8 yr deal to begin with. Would avoid the mess they are in now.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Funny, because Toews' first deal was 5 years (what you are suggesting for Nylander).

Had they initially signed him to an 8 year deal, they would be out of it in 12 months from now. No chance he would be getting anywhere near his current deal.

In fact, they probably wished they gave him that 8 yr deal to begin with. Would avoid the mess they are in now.

I would imagine it would have been an 8 year deal at 7-8M

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Yeah I've been thinking this for a while now - we really need to do our best to avoid the Kane/Toews scenario. I mean if we win a few cups first then fine but if not ... basically these are type of deals that slam the contending window shut.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC

[...]

[...]

yeah, and it's a lot worse than paying william nylander 7 million bucks. abdelkader is a fourth liner. he is not good and is almost 10 years older than william. and i don't want him anywhere near matthews. no thanks.

[citation needed]

i'd rather not add kronwall to our lineup.

Reactions: Raymoondo

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Yeah I've been thinking this for a while now - we really need to do our best to avoid the Kane/Toews scenario. I mean if we win a few cups first then fine but if not ... basically these are type of deals that slam the contending window shut.

All I was trying to say is that sometimes a long term deal doesn't work out as you wish. I am of the opinion to lock up players based on performance. Give deals based on players earning their next. Yes this may be a difficult approach to take because in the future the contract number may be more. But I would rather deal with that when the time comes. If it works in the overall structure great, resign!!! If not, trade and recoup assets that keep you competitive long term at a lower cost. If they are demanding more money because of their output in 5 years great. It means we have a superstar to trade, and there will always be teams willing to acquire a superstar for top prospects and top picks. Or even younger up an comers!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->