2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He drops Hainsey, pending huge jump from Dermott he'd be our 3rd best defenseman and second only to Rielly for suitability in matchup usage.

Rielly-Daley
Gards-Zaits
Dermott-Hainsey
Carrick

Is a massive upgrade to how we started and finished last season

Just concerned with the cap hit which is why i'd want a money in/money out situation if we went for a guy like Daley.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Maybe the media is talking about it because that's what they do? Talk about issues that may or may not even be present for entertainment value and to create speculation/clicks/views/listeners?

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Who are these people, and why do you think they know anymore more about this current situation than any of us do?

I can't believe I'm a month and a half away from watching arguably the greatest Leafs roster I've ever been alive to witness, and we've got the doom-and-gloom brigade out in full force this summer, made worse by the fact that none of these pessimists have any interest in actually listening to any kind of reason or logic (whether it comes from other posters around here, or from the GM and players themselves). Absolutely brutal.

Calgary doesn't have Noah Hanifin signed. Vegas still needs to sign Shea Theodore. Winnipeg needs to sign Josh Morrissey.

These are good teams who consider themselves playoff teams/contenders and they tooo are missing impact players.

Don't think there is much doom and gloom over at their fanbases.

ALL these RFA deals will get done in the next few weeks. What a waste of time discussing otherwise. If it's Oct 1st and they aren't signed then yeah, prob time to worry

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
What is hilarious about it? Funny that people in the know more then you or I are questioning the delay just the same. Just last night after I posted what I did, there were guests on the McCowan show on the fan590 that were echoing my sentiments. Speculating that maybe the numbers do not match up and that they are possibly looking at alternatives to bring in other pieces they need with Nylander going the other way!!!

I guess I'm not as stupid as some of you are making me out to be. But hey, like you said....hilarious!
Insinuating intent based on timing is as big of a reach as you can get.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Who are these people, and why do you think they know anymore more about this current situation than any of us do?

I can't believe I'm a month and a half away from watching arguably the greatest Leafs roster I've ever been alive to witness, and we've got the doom-and-gloom brigade out in full force this summer, made worse by the fact that none of these pessimists have any interest in actually listening to any kind of reason or logic (whether it comes from other posters around here, or from the GM and players themselves). Absolutely brutal.

Not to worry. I hear that its not sunny every day. That is both true, yet something to be not too concerned about.

Zipper

Jul 16, 2018
It's possible we could move William.
Who would you guys trade for, on a 15.8M budget?
Assuming Nash clocks in around 4.8M we're left with 11M.

LINES:

Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Abdelkader
Nash-Kadri-Brown
Hyman-Lindholm-Kapanen
Leivo

Rielly-Myers/Trouba
Gardiner-Hainsey
Borgman-Zaitzev
Dermott-Kronwall

TRADE IDEA:

Bracco
Carrick
1st round pick

for

*Abdelkader
*Kronwall (50% salary retained)

Nylander

for

*Myers/Trouba

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

LINES:

Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Nash-Kadri-Brown
Hyman-Lindholm-Kapanen
Leivo

Rielly-Myers/Trouba
Gardiner-Hainsey
Borgman-Zaitzev
Dermott-Kronwall

TRADE IDEA:

Bracco
Carrick
1st round pick
2nd round pick

for

*Abdelkader

Nylander

for

*Myers/Trouba

Nylander is far more valuable than Myers, as is Trouba. That's similar to saying Gardiner is worth the same as Rielly. Winnipeg is not looking for more offense anyways.

The first deal is just atrocious. Abdelkader, even in his best years, was not worth that. Now he's on a less than ideal contract and is exiting his prime. It's like overpaying in Free Agency for past production, but also giving up 4 really valuable assets in the process. Kronwall is still worth squat, even with retention.

This is not the Babcock-era Red Wings. They do not have that many good or valuable players. And those who are, are likely not available for trade.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Andrew Nielsen just followed the Ducks on Instagram. Probably nothing, but he could very well be moved to regroup a pick perhaps.

He is on an NHL contract (ELC) and is behind Marincin, Rosen and Borgman for playing time on the Marlies. He also has a few issues that many fans are well aware about.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Andrew Nielsen just followed the Ducks on Instagram. Probably nothing, but he could very well be moved to regroup a pick perhaps.

He is on an NHL contract (ELC) and is behind Marincin, Rosen and Borgman for playing time on the Marlies. He also has a few issues that many fans are well aware about.

Only on the Leafs would we speculate :laugh: Definitely weird for him to randomly follow another organization at this time unless he has some sort of new connection to them. Wouldn't be the first time a trade in Toronto would be broken through Instagram activity. Just ask DeRozan. Also would not be the first time it's something totally misleading, but this is more weird than most.

Not so sure a pick is what he would go for. Seems like more of a prospect addition in a larger trade, or a prospect-for-prospect swap type thing. However, if the Ducks really like him, then by all means I'd take a pick for Nielsen. He has upside, but we need to start moving out some excess talent and it's going to be tough to fit him in on the Marlies this year. The Marlies could not fit in 8 defensemen last year, and it's not going to be different this year either.

I would be good with getting a 3rd or 4th round pick out of him. If Vesey can get a 7th, Nielsen should be able to get something like that out of a team that really wants him.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

LINES:

Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Nash-Kadri-Brown
Hyman-Lindholm-Kapanen
Leivo

Rielly-Myers/Trouba
Gardiner-Hainsey
Borgman-Zaitzev
Dermott-Kronwall

TRADE IDEA:

Bracco
Carrick
1st round pick

for

*Abdelkader

Nylander

for

*Myers/Trouba
Are you a leafs fan?

Reactions: kb and Raymoondo

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Only on the Leafs would we speculate :laugh: Definitely weird for him to randomly follow another organization at this time unless he has some sort of new connection to them. Wouldn't be the first time a trade in Toronto would be broken through Instagram activity. Just ask DeRozan. Also would not be the first time it's something totally misleading, but this is more weird than most.

Not so sure a pick is what he would go for. Seems like more of a prospect addition in a larger trade, or a prospect-for-prospect swap type thing. However, if the Ducks really like him, then by all means I'd take a pick for Nielsen. He has upside, but we need to start moving out some excess talent and it's going to be tough to fit him in on the Marlies this year. The Marlies could not fit in 8 defensemen last year, and it's not going to be different this year either.

I would be good with getting a 3rd or 4th round pick out of him. If Vesey can get a 7th, Nielsen should be able to get something like that out of a team that really wants him.
Well, he also removed Toronto as his location

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

A 5th-6th might be good at this point, definitely not getting a "refund" of our 3rd for him, he's too slow.

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Nylander for Montreal's 2019 1st round pick+.

They need a center and have tonnes of cap space. We promote Kappy/Johnsson to fill the spots with Grundy in the queue and roll the dice on Jack Hughes.

Now, keep in mind Nylander is my favorite leaf and the only jersey I own. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT to trade him. The man is a beaut.

Just wondering who says no and how far apart the value is. Thanks

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

They need a center and have tonnes of cap space. We promote Kappy/Johnsson to fill the spots with Grundy in the queue and roll the dice on Jack Hughes.

Now, keep in mind Nylander is my favorite leaf and the only jersey I own. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT to trade him. The man is a beaut.

The Leafs would say no - Nylander is developing as well as a top 10 pick can be, why trade that for a mystery box of a player? Especially since the Leafs are trying to be competitive NOW, they won’t want to lose a core young player to wait a few years to develop another one.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

I’d say yes.

That first round pick could be anything! Imagine getting a player like William Nylander with that pick! That’d be awesome!

Reactions: Raymoondo and Mckay

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

LINES:

Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Nash-Kadri-Brown
Hyman-Lindholm-Kapanen
Leivo

Rielly-Myers/Trouba
Gardiner-Hainsey
Borgman-Zaitzev
Dermott-Kronwall

TRADE IDEA:

Bracco
Carrick
1st round pick

for

*Abdelkader

Nylander

for

*Myers/Trouba

Getting Marc Staal would be quite the coup. Especially if we got Kronwall too. Our defence would be locked down with stud D through 2011.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

LINES:

Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Nash-Kadri-Brown
Hyman-Lindholm-Kapanen
Leivo

Rielly-Myers/Trouba
Gardiner-Hainsey
Borgman-Zaitzev
Dermott-Kronwall

TRADE IDEA:

Bracco
Carrick
1st round pick

for

*Abdelkader

Nylander

for

*Myers/Trouba
This is horrendous.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
However, if the Ducks really like him, then by all means I'd take a pick for Nielsen. He has upside, but we need to start moving out some excess talent and it's going to be tough to fit him in on the Marlies this year. The Marlies could not fit in 8 defensemen last year, and it's not going to be different this year either.

A 5th-6th might be good at this point, definitely not getting a "refund" of our 3rd for him, he's too slow.

Ya, 5th or 6th would be OK and about right. Remember how many trade proposals he was involved in? He was always that extra throw-in in a package deal. LOL. That never worked no matter how hard we tried to move him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ya, 5th or 6th would be OK and about right. Remember how many trade proposals he was involved in? He was always that extra throw-in in a package deal. LOL. That never worked no matter how hard we tried to move him.

It was out there that Vancouver did like him, I could see his tools being attractive to an organization if they think they can turn him around. Although it might say more about us if they can help him turn it around.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It was out there that Vancouver did like him, I could see his tools being attractive to an organization if they think they can turn him around. Although it might say more about us if they can help him turn it around.

I didn't know that Vancouver expressed some interest. If Nielsen's has skating issues which some reports seem to suggest, he's probably going to remain an AHLer. I'd also think that most clubs have a few guys that are the equivalent of Nielsen, so there never seemed to be much point in throwing him as part of the package imho. Teams might have actually preferred a 5th & 6th all along ironically.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Can Nielsen be apart of a bigger deal with them? Does Anahiem have an expendable D that would fit into our top 6 and better it?

I personally do not see it on their depth chart on D. They just signed Sustr and Schenn in FA. Unless its a forward we are getting in return?

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Thinking out loud more then anything...

Adam McQuaid might be on the outs in Boston. They have McAvoy-Carlo-Miller/McQuaid on their right side. He expires after this year so the long term implications wouldn't really exist. That being said, I am not sure Boston trades him to us. He'd bring an element of toughness to our back end though that we currently lack. He's a bit sheltered in his useage at 5v5. Hard to even gauge his value if a deal was to be made.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Can Nielsen be apart of a bigger deal with them? Does Anahiem have an expendable D that would fit into our top 6 and better it?

I'd think the Ducks org have equivalent (and better) defender prospects, so I'm not sure what the motivation would be for Anaheim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->