2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
since the thread was closed - i just want to say, I don't expect Jake to be perfect. I don't want him to be above mistakes. he's human and he plays sports mistakes are bound to happen. however I feel that we have a lot of high-event-esque players already. it's the same reason why I personally don't want a Subban or whatever on the team. I would like a defenseman (or two) who just defended. Dermott ideally develops into that kind of player. if by some miracle we can get Spurgeon or something, wonderful.

but i personally wouldn't commit to Jake. I accept what Jake is, I know that he's a really good defenseman, however I don't feel he's a very smart one. Not when he has to think faster, anyway. And I just feel spending a lot of term/money into him would be a mistake, and it makes me itchy. It's also something i'm gonna have to accept because I see Dubas investing in him.

and if i'm wrong and Jake proves me wrong, then I'll happily eat my crow.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not a huge advocate for acquiring Faulk but I can't imagine the season starting and Carolina has Hamilton, Faulk, TVR and Pesce on the right side. None of the above are healthy scratch calibre. Leafs & Canes might connect there

Reactions: The Magic Man

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I can see us and the Canes on a deal.

They want Kapanen due to his paps playing there. I just wouldn't want Faulk back in the deal. He's not the defender we would need. Unless of course the Leafs can convince them to take Gardiner in the deal along with Kapanen and we make it a blockbuster where to defenders come back to us on the right side.

Kapanen, Gardiner, Bracco and Carrick plus 2nd Round Pick

for

Faulk and Pesce

Reilly-Pesce
Dermott-Faulk
Hainsey-Zaitsev

Reactions: WildBoy

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

They want Kapanen due to his paps playing there. I just wouldn't want Faulk back in the deal. He's not the defender we would need. Unless of course the Leafs can convince them to take Gardiner in the deal along with Kapanen and we make it a blockbuster where to defenders come back to us on the right side.

for

Faulk and Pesce

Reilly-Pesce
Dermott-Faulk
Hainsey-Zaitsev

for

Faulk and Pesce

Reilly-Pesce
Dermott-Faulk
Hainsey-Zaitsev
The odds of Carolina trading Faulk and Pesce in the same deal are as low as (insert scenario with extremely low odds)

Not happening

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd prefer Pesce, but that won't happen without adding a bigger piece. I know people are split on Tanev, but could a three team deal be done? Something like,

To Car:Brown and Marincin and Sparks

To Vancouver: Justin Faulk

To Toronto: Chris Tanev

Try to sell the Canucks on Faulk's offense, which the Canucks don't have a lot of on the backend?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd prefer Pesce, but that won't happen without adding a bigger piece. I know people are split on Tanev, but could a three team deal be done? Something like,

Try to sell the Canucks on Faulk's offense, which the Canucks don't have a lot of on the backend?

Carolina will want a lot more back, than a 3rd/4th liner, and two AHL players.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I don't foresee any more deals going into the season. What's perceived to be in the trade market doesn't really interest me.

I think we ride the season out with Gardiner and then he leaves in FA. Gardiner can get overpaid elsewhere. Even though they play different sides, I think Liljegren takes over next season

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't foresee any more deals going into the season. What's perceived to be in the trade market doesn't really interest me.

I think we ride the season out with Gardiner and then he leaves in FA. Gardiner can get overpaid elsewhere. Even though they play different sides, I think Liljegren takes over next season

We just did that with a couple of decent assets. The Leafs could afford to do that if they were in the sustain phase of their window. But they have yet to win a playoff series yet. I am hoping he gets moved before October, or is resigned and then traded next offseason before his new deal kicks in - if Dermott shows he is ready for the top-4, and there is the expected cap crunch.

I am not a fan of moving Rielly to the right side. It ends up diminishing Rielly to keep an older, more expensive (and possibly redundant) player in the fold.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

I would rather have Faulk than Tanev.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Isn't Faulk one of the most overrated defensemen in the NHL though? Like he's got great possession numbers but is actually a terrible defenseman. Similar to Gardiner, but a lot worse.

I remember reading an article about that. He's like one of the worst when it comes to giving up high danger quality shots and stuff like that.

Not exactly the type of guys the Leafs should be looking at acquiring. Need less guys like Gardiner (in terms of his shortcomings), not worse versions of them.

Reactions: Walshy7

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Isn't Faulk one of the most overrated defensemen in the NHL though? Like he's got great possession numbers but is actually a terrible defenseman. Similar to Gardiner, but a lot worse.

I remember reading an article about that. He's like one of the worst when it comes to giving up high danger quality shots and stuff like that.

Not exactly the type of guys the Leafs should be looking at acquiring. Need less guys like Gardiner (in terms of his shortcomings), not worse versions of them.
Yeah, he has certainly been very sheltered in Carolina, at least in terms of where they liked to start him. He would be a huge replacement on Hainsey, and getting some skill in that spot is exactly what we should be looking for. Don't get me wrong, he's not my ideal partner for Rielly long-term or anything, but he's only 26, and if he could be acquired for cheap, I would think we'd offer a solid environment to finish up his development into a more well-rounded defenseman.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Defensively, Faulk is about as bad as Gardiner. With the puck, however, he seems to be a lot more reliable. He makes smarter plays and is generally just a lot more consistent.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

for

Faulk and Pesce

Reilly-Pesce
Dermott-Faulk
Hainsey-Zaitsev

Love it for us, but can't see Canes ever offering this.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

^^^ What he said.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario

Fair point, first stab at it. Replace Brown with Kapanen and I disagree with your take on Sparks. I think he's a very intriguing prospect for a large number of teams. I'm fine with the take on Marincin, probably wouldn't be interested in taking a D back anyway. It would have to be a first round pick then. Kapanen/2019 1st/Sparks, is a lot more attractive offer. One I'd still do, even though I would still try to flip Faulk for Tanev.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Fair point, first stab at it. Replace Brown with Kapanen and I disagree with your take on Sparks. I think he's a very intriguing prospect for a large number of teams. I'm fine with the take on Marincin, probably wouldn't be interested in taking a D back anyway. It would have to be a first round pick then. Kapanen/2019 1st/Sparks, is a lot more attractive offer. One I'd still do, even though I would still try to flip Faulk for Tanev.

If you had a choice between Faulk, and Tanev, you'd probably keep Faulk. More about games expected to be played, than player.

Tanev's price should be a 1st and 2nd (conditional), much less than Faulk... and to be honest, I still don't see them being interested in the package you are offering.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If you had a choice between Faulk, and Tanev, you'd probably keep Faulk. More about games expected to be played, than player.

Tanev's price should be a 1st and 2nd (conditional), much less than Faulk... and to be honest, I still don't see them being interested in the package you are offering.

I would puke if Tanev went for a 1st round pick. The guy was barely worth more than a 1st when he was in his prime because of those injury issues. Now you have less control, far more injuries taxing on his body, and he did not even play much better than Zaitsev in the past two years.

And that's saying something given what Zaitsev had to go through. Zaitsev is at least a good bet to bounce back. Not so sure about Tanev.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I don't think that gets it done but I'd rather Faulk than Tanev, remove Vancouver.

Brown is the only one with value there and it wouldn't be great.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

A Gardiner for Faulk kind of thing may actually made sense. Their similar players. Carolina needs a lefty and Toronto needs a righty. I’d even toss in one of our tier-2 youngsters to make work, since Faulk has an extra year on his contract.

Edit: actually, I forgot they signed de Haan to add to Slavin and Fleury on the left, so they probably don’t even want to a defensemen back.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
May need to add Sparks or Pickard in deal but could be completed and I wouldn't call it lopsided at all.

Carrick, 2nd, Pickard, Marincin, etc. - any three of these is equivalent to three quarters equals a dollar. Given the old axiom about "whatever team gets the best player wins the deal", I'd say remove these additional "clutter" type pieces to see what the deal is really about. Most teams have players of this ilk already, so offering them doesn't really offer them much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->