2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
sounds better than losing Sparks/Leivo for nothing, but rather sweeten the deal and get Pesce. I'm pretty sure Gard's won't be here next year if the kids continue to develop, maybe he could be part of a package to get Pesce? Gard's/Sparks/Leivo/Bracco for Pesce. Add a conditional pick if Jake doesn't resign with Carolina.
Canes have no need for Gardiner.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yegor Zamula signed with Philadelphia. He was the highest ranked undrafted defenseman I had left on my board (ranked as a 4th round type prospect). I think Philly may have got another great defenseman for free, similar to Myers.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yegor Zamula signed with Philadelphia. He was the highest ranked undrafted defenseman I had left on my board (ranked as a 4th round type prospect). I think Philly may have got another great defenseman for free, similar to Myers.

You ranked him as a 4th round type D man, and then said he is a "great" defenseman?? Aren't great prospects, usually touted as higher than a fourth rounder?

Reactions: LeafChief

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
You ranked him as a 4th round type D man, and then said he is a "great" defenseman?? Aren't great prospects, usually touted as higher than a fourth rounder?

Not necessarily. You can get great prospects anywhere. Does not mean he's a top prospect, but still someone with noticeable upside (possibly even more upside than some of the guys the Leafs drafted).

Just reminded me of a time similar to when they got Phillipe Myers.

All of our Dmen at camp are better then him. Pointless to discuss

NHL camp maybe, but I think he's better than some of the defensemen we drafted. At least he has higher upside than some of them. Just interesting to see him get an ELC so early on. Maybe there was something to him after all.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
With our depth at each position, and few waiver exempt option... I wouldn’t be surprised to see a trade or two in the next few days.

Trade candidates:
Sparks, Pickard, McE
Carrick, Marincin, Nielsen
Leivo, Gauthier, Johnsson, Kapanen

I’m not suggesting trades for the sake of it, but these players MIGHT spark some interest from other teams across the league.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
With our depth at each position, and few waiver exempt option... I wouldn’t be surprised to see a trade or two in the next few days.

Trade candidates:
Sparks, Pickard, McE

I’m not suggesting trades for the sake of it, but these players MIGHT spark some interest from other teams across the league.

Don't see Johnsson/Kapanen getting traded at all, unless it's part of a bigger trade for a bigger name player.

The others, yea. Would be nice to see us package together a couple of the spare parts that aren't going to make the roster and hopefully get a pick or two back.

Reactions: hockeynorth

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Trade candidates:
Sparks, Pickard, McE

Johnsson/Kapanen won't be traded because they can play and are on cheap contracts.

The rest I agree with.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner7
Engvall0.925Matthews11Nylander6.75
Johnsson1.75Kadri4.5Kapanen1.75
Leivo1.1Lindholm1.25Brown2.1
Grundstrom0.925
Rielly5Karlsson11
Dermott0.864Liljegren0.895
Rosen2Ozhiganov1.3
Borgman1.3Holl0.675
Andersen5
Pickard1
Kessel1.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner7
Engvall0.925Matthews11Nylander6.75
Johnsson1.75Kadri4.5Kapanen1.75
Leivo1.1Lindholm1.25Brown2.1
Grundstrom0.925
Rielly5Karlsson11
Dermott0.864Liljegren0.895
Rosen2Ozhiganov1.3
Borgman1.3Holl0.675
Andersen5
Pickard1
Kessel1.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ugh, I see what you did there. Crazier things have happened before I guess

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I’d actually say brown has a higher chance of being traded because he holds more value yet plays a similar role.

i would be pretty surprised if they moved brown. He is a heart and soul type of player who can play up and down the lineup and is good for 20 goals when given opportunity. All while making $2.1 million for the next 2 season. I think after his current deal expires then he may possibly get moved out but to move him now would be silly imo.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander (once he signs)
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Brown
Ennis-Lindholm-Kapanen

poor Leivo

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Grundstrom, Engvall and even Brooks will be NHL ready come next fall. I'd even toss Jeremy Bracco in there, though that largely depends on his AHL production this year. So while it's easy to say that Brown only makes 2.1M, if he's on the 4th line (assuming our top 9 remains Marleau, Matthews, Nylander, Hyman, Tavares, Marner, Johnsson, Kadri, Kapanen) and we could put Engvall in that spot for 925K, that's essentially 1.2M we saved.

The nice thing is, I believe we avoided having to put Horton on LTIR this year, so the rookie bonuses will be cleared, so we'll be able to use the LTIR next season if necessary.

So say we trade Connor Brown somewhere;

Patrick Marleau ($6.25M) - Auston Matthews ($11M) - William Nylander ($7M)
Zach Hyman ($2.25M) - John Tavares ($11M) - Mitch Marner ($8M)
Andreas Johnsson ($2M) - Nazem Kadri (4.5M) - Kasper Kapanen ($2M)
Carl Grundstrom ($925K) - Par Lindholm (1M) - Pierre Engvall ($925K)
Frederik Gauthier/Other ($1M)
Total Forwards: $57.85M

Morgan Rielly ($4.5M) - Nikita Zaitsev ($4.5M)
Jake Gardiner ($6M) - Timothy Liljegren ($900K)
Travis Dermott ($850K) - Igor Ozhiganov ($1.2M)
Calle Rosen ($900K) - Andreas Borgman ($900K)
Total Defense: $19.75M

Frederik Andersen ($5.5M) - McBackup/Sparks/Pickard ($900K)
Total Goalies: $6.4M

Total Salary: 84M
LTIR Allowance: (5.3M)
Total Cap Hit: 78.7M

So based on this years cap, we have roughly 800K for any salary increases above what I have listed. Then you'll need to add whatever the cap increases for next season. So it's still possible we can keep Connor Brown as well. All depends on the cap increase.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
i would be pretty surprised if they moved brown. He is a heart and soul type of player who can play up and down the lineup and is good for 20 goals when given opportunity. All while making $2.1 million for the next 2 season. I think after his current deal expires then he may possibly get moved out but to move him now would be silly imo.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander (once he signs)
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Brown
Ennis-Lindholm-Kapanen

poor Leivo

Being 13th forward would still be a step up for Leivo from last year. Trading Brown would be selling low right now. If they did think he was replaceable, he should get the minutes and the opportunities to either show he should be a keeper, or that he is at least a better trade chip than last season looked.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Unpopular opinion, put in a claim on McCarron.

Montreal's farm system has been garbage and doesn't really develop a whole lot for them. We have no one like him in the system and he would add a whole new ingredient to our bottom 6 that neither Ennis or Leivo can bring. He doesn't care who he hits, he's laid out Krejci, Lindholm, Edmundson and has fought some pretty tough dudes and wins or holds his own very well.

Got a lot of defensive zone starts (probably too many) with Montreal, so maybe if it got closer to 50/50 O-zone/D-zone starts he could have better fancy stats. Anyways, that's me thinking out loud.

Reactions: TML1967

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Unpopular opinion, put in a claim on McCarron.

Montreal's farm system has been garbage and doesn't really develop a whole lot for them. We have no one like him in the system and he would add a whole new ingredient to our bottom 6 that neither Ennis or Leivo can bring. He doesn't care who he hits, he's laid out Krejci, Lindholm, Edmundson and has fought some pretty tough dudes and wins or holds his own very well.

Got a lot of defensive zone starts (probably too many) with Montreal, so maybe if it got closer to 50/50 O-zone/D-zone starts he could have better fancy stats. Anyways, that's me thinking out loud.

I really like MacCarron, i'd be excited about a claim. get some size on those wings

Reactions: TML1967

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
ASSETS:
Is a towering presence up front who owns plenty of power-forward acumen. When he is on his game, he can overpower and dominate opponents all over the ice. Can play either center or wing. Is solid on face-offs.
FLAWS:
Lacks consistency, which he will need to find in order to maximize his huge size as a game-changing factor at the highest level. There are also concerns about his overall scoring ability in the National Hockey League.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
Versatile power forward with some upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd let McCarron clear. Then offer MTL Gauthier for him.

Then we don't necessarily need to start McCarron on our NHL roster.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'd let McCarron clear. Then offer MTL Gauthier for him.

Then we don't necessarily need to start McCarron on our NHL roster.

this and if we miss out, not the slightest bit of worry. McCarron is essentially an winger version of the goat who was tried for a little bit at C anyway. The only reason id do it is change of scenery for both guys and the goat speaks French which they will love

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
this and if we miss out, not the slightest bit of worry. McCarron is essentially an winger version of the goat who was tried for a little bit at C anyway. The only reason id do it is change of scenery for both guys and the goat speaks French which they will love

My thoughts exactly. We don't need McCarron at this moment, so letting him clear and working out a deal to let us start him with the Marlies would be ideal. It always bugged me that Montreal never really let players be who they are. McCarron is a big tough, power winger, and Montreal tried to turn him into a defensive center and it just didn't make sense.

Bring McCarron in for a spare contract, let him be the player he is, and maybe we can work him back into a NHL bottom 6 guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad