2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So... are we going to need a face puncher, to tune Domi when he gets out of hand?

Ugly what he did tonight.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Maybe this was posted here already, sorry if it has. I personally still don't think Faulk is the right guy for Toronto.

LeBrun: Faulk an obvious fit for Leafs
Yeah I'm going to disagree with him too. Leafs need is a RHD who can play tough minutes at ES, and we have no need at all for PP proficiency. Faulk is someone you'd rather keep away from the tough minutes, and one of his best assets is as a threat on the PP. Beyond the obvious positional need, he doesn't make a lot of sense.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
So... are we going to need a face puncher, to tune Domi when he gets out of hand?

but will we get a face puncher who can play 1C like Domi!, haha what a desperate organization continually grabbing wingers and throwing them into 1C

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I have a question. If the Leafs wanted to, can they circumvent the cap to fit everyone in by paying less on the first year of a contract and more on the later years where the average is still reasonable but we buy ourselves another season where Marleau's contract is off the books?

So for example:

Matthews - 1 year - 8 million, 2 year 10 million, 3-8 years at 12 million per. This would be an 8 year deal at 78 million with a 9.75 million salary hit per season.

If we work out deals for Matthews, Marner and Nylander this way it could be beneficial with them getting everyone in.

Is this possible?

Not how the cap works and this is done all the time. It is the average of all the contract years for the caphit, not a changing caphit depending on how much they get in $ per year.

Also you did your math wrong, the contract you posted works out to 90 mil over 8 years (just over 11m per/yr). You proposed 6 of the 8 years at 12m, but only counted 5 by accident.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Doesn't fall far from the tree.
Glad the Leafs wanted nothing to do with bringing that name back.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Still hoping the Leafs can send Pickard or Sparks to a team for a mid-ish round pick. Perhaps whoever doesn't win a job could be packaged with one of the goaltenders and make it more interesting (Carrick? Rosen? etc)

Not sure if there's a team right now that have big question marks in net or need insurance.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I personally wouldn't trade Pickard or Sparks. I would make Sparks your backup at the NHL level starting more then McBackup has the past couple of years giving Anderson some more rest for playoffs. Put Pickard in the minors. McBackup should be traded or waived. That would be very stupid asset management ridding yourself of younger proven goalies.

Unless of course one of them are a piece of a bigger deal that lands you an upgrade on D.

Reactions: Menzinger

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I personally wouldn't trade Pickard or Sparks. I would make Sparks your backup at the NHL level starting more then McBackup has the past couple of years giving Anderson some more rest for playoffs. Put Pickard in the minors. McBackup should be traded or waived. That would be very stupid asset management ridding yourself of younger proven goalies.

Unless of course one of them are a piece of a bigger deal that lands you an upgrade on D.

I agree 100% but I just don't see the Leafs and Babcock especially waiving McBackup and because of his age, his value is definitely lower than the other 2.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Though if the Leafs waive McBackup, hard to name a team that would pick him up under that situation.

Feel fairly confident at this point Sparks will have the job come season opener (unless he completely flops the rest of the preseason period).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Though if the Leafs waive McBackup, hard to name a team that would pick him up under that situation.

Feel fairly confident at this point Sparks will have the job come season opener (unless he completely flops the rest of the preseason period).

I don't think it would be fear of losing him on waivers, more out of respect and he's actually doing really well for us. It's a business though so who knows.

I hope you're right.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
It is unfair because he is a vet, I agree. And he has done well for us. But in the end you need to be preparing yourself for many years of contending. McBackup will not be around past this season or next. We need a long term solution and Sparks is that.

What if Sparks goes to the next level with another team at a fraction of what Andersen makes? I wouldn't mind have a Grant Fuhr/ Felix Potvin situation. Could do wonders for the cap in the future if we have something in Sparks!!!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't think it would be fear of losing him on waivers, more out of respect and he's actually doing really well for us. It's a business though so who knows.

I hope you're right.

He has done well, but he was also a Lou move (and given his age he may not repeat) and Sparks has more gab paid his dues with the Marlies (and Dubas seems more prone to favour those guys - and for good reason).

Can’t say for sure yet but I’m fairly confident it will play out like this

Reactions: SprDaVE

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
anyone concerned with losing players to waivers this fall?
You never like to lose an asset without a return but I don't think anyone waived will be a significant loss.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
anyone concerned with losing players to waivers this fall?

Depending on the players, but a number of teams will likely be in that boat. That's where timing can factor in. As things move closer to having to submit final 23 man rosters, there should be a decent number of players going on waivers. That volume can help sneak some of the unexpected through.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

His save % through 39 games over the last two seasons is 0.925, which is good for 4th in the NHL over that time period (minimum 30 games played). Small sample size obviously, and he's older, but he's been a very very good backup for two seasons straight now.

I think some team with a weak backup would take him off waivers, though I'm not convinced anyone would trade for him (though they might if we combined him with another potential waiver loss asset like Leivo).

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Carolina is weak at the goalie position and wings. We have both.

Toronto needs a D man.

Lets get a deal done even if it means giving up a little more then we have to.

Sparks, Leivo, Bracco and a 3rd Rounder FOR Faulk.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Toronto needs a D man.

sounds better than losing Sparks/Leivo for nothing, but rather sweeten the deal and get Pesce. I'm pretty sure Gard's won't be here next year if the kids continue to develop, maybe he could be part of a package to get Pesce? Gard's/Sparks/Leivo/Bracco for Pesce. Add a conditional pick if Jake doesn't resign with Carolina.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I would wager a guess that Washington would claim McEhlhinney if given the chance. I think Samsonov is going to be their AHL starter this year, and Copley isn't exactly a good goalie. Holtby-McBackup this year, and then Holtby-Samsonov wouldn't be that bad of a way to go, especially since it would cost you nothing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Toronto needs a D man.

That’s terrible for the Canes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->