OT: 2018 Football Thread: Camp is (almost) here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The felony charges against Robby Anderson were dropped. That might shave some time off his likely suspension.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Allen scares me so much. There's a lot of Kyle Boller in him.

I was listening to an interview with Greg Gabriel, and he really doesn't love this QB class as much as anyone else, but also acknowledges just how important it is to get a QB. He likes Mayfield and Rudolph a lot.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Allen scares me so much. There's a lot of Kyle Boller in him.

I was listening to an interview with Greg Gabriel, and he really doesn't love this QB class as much as anyone else, but also acknowledges just how important it is to get a QB. He likes Mayfield and Rudolph a lot.
Scares you? I'm a Browns fan. Imagine how I feel... :)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Kiper has Allen, Darnold, Rosen as the 1-2-3. Rosen is the one I don't really want, even if he's more "safe" than Mayfield.
I don't know why but I really want Mayfield. Normally I am very sour on kids who are as arrogant and cocky as him. But, the kid is a gamer. I actually think he will be a highly successful QB in the NFL and the Jets franchise really needs a player like him. They are the most boring team out there. Mayfield would make it interesting even if they suck for another year or five (its the Jets, anything is possible).

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Feels like the Giants and Rangers are at very similar points here. Where this off-season will dictate if they'll be good, soon, or bad, for a while.

For the Giants, that'll look something like trading OBJ and drafting Chubb or Nelson instead of just picking their top-QB and keeping OBJ around.

Two simple decisions that are all too difficult.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I’m more Darnold/Allen. I don’t like Rosen’s concussion history. Peter Scherer (?) from the NFL Network was just on with Evan and Joe, and he thinks the Browns take Darnold, and then the Giants will take Allen.

Fair point RE concussions. Allen's accuracy just is too big for me to get over. Seems like the classic "combine riser" that is too risky to me. Has the raw talent, but can he learn the finer points of QB play? What type of changes have to be made to his mechanics? Scares the shit out of me to take a prospect with those type of Qs at #2.

Would much rather hope Rosen's "character concerns" are overblown personally - though after this Odell "saga" (that is not really much at all to me) could see how NYG management would disagree.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Allen's accuracy just is too big for me to get over. Seems like the classic "combine riser" that is too risky to me. Has the raw talent, but can he learn the finer points of QB play? What type of changes have to be made to his mechanics? Scares the **** out of me to take a prospect with those type of Qs at #2.
Same for me with the Browns at #1. I'd be a lot more comfortable with Darnold as the pick.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
New mock draft on The Ringer has us taking Chubb at 2OA and I will break ****

ESPN has their new mocks out.

Giants

Kiper has them taking Darnold at 2
McShay has them trading the pick to Buffalo for the 12, 22, 53 OA picks. Buffalo takes Allen, and with the new picks he has the Giants taking Tremaine Edwards LB at 12, and James Daniels G at 22.

Jets

Both Kiper & McShay have them taking Rosen.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
ESPN has their new mocks out.

Giants

Kiper has them taking Darnold at 2
McShay has them trading the pick to Buffalo for the 12, 22, 53 OA picks. Buffalo takes Allen, and with the new picks he has the Giants taking Tremaine Edwards LB at 12, and James Daniels G at 22.

Jets

Both Kiper & McShay have them taking Rosen.
Allen at #1 unanimous, I presume?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Allen has nearly every flag that screams "Bust". I'd take a flier on him in the back of the 2nd round if I'm a team like the Chargers, pats, Steelers, etc with older QBs that have maybe 1 or 2 seasons left. Stunned he's got so much press.

Then again, some people thought even marino would bust. People thought Ryan Leaf would succeed. So nothing is certain.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Allen has nearly every flag that screams "Bust". I'd take a flier on him in the back of the 2nd round if I'm a team like the Chargers, pats, Steelers, etc with older QBs that have maybe 1 or 2 seasons left. Stunned he's got so much press.

Then again, some people thought even marino would bust. People thought Ryan Leaf would succeed. So nothing is certain.
He certainly comes with some concerns, but the pure talent is so good. I mean if he could put it together he's a bona fide franchise quarterback for the next 10-15 years. A lot of people said he killed it at his pro day which is why his stock has soared (and it didn't really soar that much--he was always a first half of round one guy). I have reservations about the Jets picking him because I worry about the bust factor, but the upside is so tantalizing.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil

I think at worst he will become Blake Bortles.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Allen scares me so much. If he were taken in the 2nd round that's one thing, but taking him Top 5 is crazy. Very Boller-esque.

I've been on the "get a QB" bandwagon, and still am, but I'm having some reservations about this class. Greg Gabriel's interview really made me look at things differently. The one problem with trading back is that there's a significant drop off after the Top 10. If the Bills were going to make that trade, I'd want next years first.

This QB class is either going to make a lot of GM's look really good, or unemployed. Just watch and see Mason Rudolph be the best of the bunch lol.

Next years class isn't considered as good, but it has a lot of "prototypical" QB's. It'll be interested to see how that attitude could possibly change in a year from now.

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
If they were worried about hurting Eli's feelings they wouldn't have benched him for Geno Smith.

I was aware of that.

I meant after the negatve fan reaction to Geno starting.

Nevertheless, you could very well be correct and there was a different imbecilic reason for not playing Webb.

Reactions: Fvital92
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
And bigger idiots if they were worried about hurting Eli's feelings.[/QUOTE]

And it wound up working out in the worst potential manner:

1) Eli's streak was broken (not that I really cared, but it was something that he seemed to have pride in)

2) It was broken for one game of Geno Smith

3) They still never got a look at Webb when they knew they were going to have a high pick and be in a position to pick a QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad