OT: 2018 Football Thread: Camp is (almost) here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Imagine thinking the best statistical receiver since Randy Moss gives you less of a chance to win games because he smoked pot one time and posts on Instagram too much.

It’s truly unfathomable how f***ing stupid NFL GMs and owners are. They are literally all stuck in the 1970s. The whole philosophy is ass backwards. QBs are automatically good when they’re 6’5’’, players who smoke pot are troubled drug addicts, trading monumental roster pieces for mid round picks. It’s just insanity and incredibly frustrating when your team is on the receiving end of it. How you could not want a generational talent, even with his warts, to be the centerpiece of your rebuild is f***ing ludicrous. Literally no excuse for this garbage. Pay the man.

Reactions: klingsor

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Imagine thinking the best statistical receiver since Randy Moss gives you less of a chance to win games because he smoked pot one time and posts on Instagram too much.

It’s truly unfathomable how ****ing stupid NFL GMs and owners are. They are literally all stuck in the 1970s. The whole philosophy is ass backwards. QBs are automatically good when they’re 6’5’’, players who smoke pot are troubled drug addicts, trading monumental roster pieces for mid round picks. It’s just insanity and incredibly frustrating when your team is on the receiving end of it. How you could not want a generational talent, even with his warts, to be the centerpiece of your rebuild is ****ing ludicrous. Literally no excuse for this garbage. Pay the man.

Thankfully Tisch seems to be a realist.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Thankfully Tisch seems to be a realist.

Time will only tell if Mara and Gettleman inevitably overrule him. Mara's comments and the overall situation seem eerily similar in some ways to the comments made by the Molsons and Bergevin made about PK Subban before he was shipped out of town.

I really hope the Giants come to their senses and pay OBJ. It would be a huge mistake to let some of these overblown issues and media attention to cloud their judgement.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He was the Jets guy when they were sitting at six, according to the reports. After they traded up, I haven't really heard anything about who they favor, just that they apparently like 3 guys and have them ranked very closely.

Ah, gotcha.

Rosen seems the least likely of the big three QBs for the Giants at this point.
What makes you say that, and what do you think the priority looks like? Generally curious, as I have fallen off paying attention to this draft in recent weeks.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Because it’s going #1 or because they’re not into him?

I think they want Allen or Darnold. The team seems to be in love with one of them (or both, depending on who you believe).

What makes you say that, and what do you think the priority looks like? Generally curious, as I have fallen off paying attention to this draft in recent weeks.

Just a lot of rumbling. Meetings, interviews, etc. Both Allen and Darnold seem to fit what the team wants more (mobile). Although the Tisch meeting with Rosen speaks a lot there, too.

It's tough, man. I see them leaning to Allen/Darnold, but I could be wrong.

This is the first time in a while that I have no real clue who they are going to take.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I think they want Allen or Darnold. The team seems to be in love with one of them (or both, depending on who you believe).

Just a lot of rumbling. Meetings, interviews, etc. Both Allen and Darnold seem to fit what the team wants more (mobile). Although the Tisch meeting with Rosen speaks a lot there, too.

It's tough, man. I see them leaning to Allen/Darnold, but I could be wrong.

This is the first time in a while that I have no real clue who they are going to take.

I really have no idea who I want for the Jets. I go through and convince myself for each QB. It won’t matter cause that’ll get decided before they go - but it’s gonna be real interesting. Could see Allen or Rosen left. I think darnold definitely goes top 2.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I really have no idea who I want for the Jets. I go through and convince myself for each QB. It won’t matter cause that’ll get decided before they go - but it’s gonna be real interesting. Could see Allen or Rosen left. I think darnold definitely goes top 2.

I am pissed that they traded up. I wanted Mayfield. I don't think they are targeting him anymore with the trade to 3.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I also wanted Mayfield.

Now that we're at three, I'll take Allen. Or really any of the guys at three. I'm just not sure if we needed to get to 6 to pick Mayfield. Maybe we did? I don't know. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm okay either way as we didn't have to give up an extra first.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I don't like Mayfield's attitude. He may turn out to be a fine NFL QB but a bad attitude will cause problems down the road. I don't expect Mayfield to be in top 3. Fins Skins Bills and Cards will jockey to get 4th QB which may or may not be Mayfield. Bills have 2 1sts 2nds and 3rds so I'd expect them to get who they want.

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
Only way I trade obj is to the browns for the first and fourth pick

I doubt the Giants get that return. With the exception of Tisch the other three (owner, GM and coach) seem to be taking lessons from Phil Jackson about how to lower the trading value of one of your players.

Better hope that if he's traded the scouting staff is better than the ones who drafted Flowers and Apple.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I doubt the Giants get that return. With the exception of Tisch the other three (owner, GM and coach) seem to be taking lessons from Phil Jackson about how to lower the trading value of one of your players.

Better hope that if he's traded the scouting staff is better than the ones who drafted Flowers and Apple.
Yup. I know Giants fans are ticked that the team is potentially looking to trade their best player, and are therefore understandably bitter in their "demands", but as a Browns fan, I can't describe the level of fury I would experience if they traded the #1OA and #4OA for a receiver, no matter how good he is.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
In the modern day NFL, with a premium put on draft picks, I think the OBJ realistic return vs what Giants fans would want is a huge gap. That's not a shot at fans - you shouldn't give him away.

For Giants fans, what would you be ok with as a return.

I think the major piece of a 1st would have to be top 15, right? Doubt you would want a base that starts with something in the 20+ OA as the center piece.

Take for example, San Fran. If they wanted to grab him to pair with Jimmy G (which would be intriguing), they have the following this year:

1st (9)
2nd (59)
3rd (70)

Would you do that? From SF end would you?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Warranted or not, OBJ is a media magnet, is coming off an injury, and is currently demanding a new ginormous contract. I really don’t think the Giants can get peak value for him where he stands now and they know this. That’s why I think they’re playing the media game talking down OBJ, because they’re focusing on the contract and getting as good of a deal as possible for the team, and threatening a trade and devaluing him kind of serves that goal. If they truly are interested in trading him though, then they need to STHU and save their breath for when the phone rings.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Kiper has Allen, Darnold, Rosen as the 1-2-3. Rosen is the one I don't really want, even if he's more "safe" than Mayfield.
There seems to be a growing consensus of Rosen as the 3rd best of the big 3. I would hope the Jets value him significantly more than Mayfield to have moved up, unless they were worried that Mayfield wouldn’t have been available at 6.

Reactions: nyr2k2

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
During this whole OBJ whirlwind its shocking that not one teammate has come to his defense..Maybe I missed something but I have not read one thing saying hes a great teammate unlike some here push that agenda. I want him signed but I also want him to respect himself and the franchise and I dont see that happening. He has ocho and TO written all over him

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
During this whole OBJ whirlwind its shocking that not one teammate has come to his defense..Maybe I missed something but I have not read one thing saying hes a great teammate unlike some here push that agenda. I want him signed but I also want him to respect himself and the franchise and I dont see that happening. He has ocho and TO written all over him

Justin Pugh did in a recent interview on WFAN.

NYRPat21

Jan 1, 2010
Ridge, New York
I like Rosen the most, but I would still be happy with Darnold or Mayfield too for NYG. I think they’re leaning Darnold personally if he’s there, but no one really knows anything about what these GMs are thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad