OT: 2018 Football Thread: Camp is (almost) here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I don't get the Chubb talk, if they moved JPP because of scheme fit drafting Chubb wouldn't make sense. Two trade scenarios that I think are possible and wouldn't mind seeing happen. Trade back from 2 to 4 for the browns to take Barkley and their QB. Than trade back from 4 to 6 for the colts to draft Chubb. I don't know what the compensation would be but we would amass a ton of draft capitol and fill holes left by Reese. Another scenario would be if the rumor the Bills are set on taking a QB would be to absolutely roast them trading back from 2 to 12.
Why would the Browns give anything to move up from 4 to 2 when they already have 1? Jets are taking a QB and Giants are either taking a QB or trading back to a team that will. Anything else would be a complete shock — and even if the Giants do select Barkley/Chubb, that means TWO of the four QBs are left at 4, making the pick worth that much more in a deal.

Browns are selecting their QB #1 — followed by either the best non-QB in the draft, the 2nd best non-QB in the draft, or a trade back at #4.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Why would the Browns give anything to move up from 4 to 2 when they already have 1? Jets are taking a QB and Giants are either taking a QB or trading back to a team that will. Anything else would be a complete shock — and even if the Giants do select Barkley/Chubb, that means TWO of the four QBs are left at 4, making the pick worth that much more in a deal.

Browns are selecting their QB #1 — followed by either the best non-QB in the draft, the 2nd best non-QB in the draft, or a trade back at #4.
The thought process for some is that the Browns will want to secure that they get Barkley and they have like 700 picks.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Jets signing Pryor is a really good move, and I don't even like Pryor that much. They need another receiver with Anderson likely facing suspension, and they also need another deep threat because of that. And then when Anderson is back, Kearse-Enunwa-Pryor-Anderson is a good quartet. Maybe no stars (who knows if Anderson can grow up and become one), but those are four guys that can catch the football.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
No idea, but I doubt that a GM will draft a player without going to a pro day. BTW, Gettleman was stupid enough to draft Christian McCaffrey at 8 last year, I'm not overly confident in him to be honest.
McCaffrey was a pretty damn good pick assuming he keeps building off of last year.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Browns - Mayfield
Giants - Darnold
Jets - Rosen
Browns - Barkley
Broncos - Allen
Colts - Nelson

Callin it

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

So that they can get the best QB and the best overall talent in the draft in Barkley.... They have more than enough picks to move up and I'm sure their fans would appreciate the FO being aggressive at the draft rather than letting other teams step over them to draft franchise guys. The Browns have mad a lot of moves this offseason if I'm the new regime moving up and having the first two picks in this draft is a great way to start the future of the team.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Maybe its me being too much of a fan and not thinking what's best longterm but I'd love to see the Giants get Barkley. Giants with RBs in my lifetime are like the Rangers with forwards; they've had some good ones, but never an elite game breaker or top 3 in the league. Joe Morris, OJ Anderson, Dave Meggett, Rodney Hampton...all the way to Earth, Wind, and Fire. The last time they had an elite one was...Frank Gifford?

The chance to get a guy who could be as good as Marcus Allen and maybe Barry Sanders, doesn't happen too often.

I don't think any of these QBs based on reports, media enthusiasm, and quotes from personnel evaluators scream class of 1983 or 2004. I'd rather have an absolute beast stud RB. If the Giants are going to spend a few years stinking and rebuilding, they'll have a shot at a better QB, but Barkley and a halfway decent OLine (and just general health) may make them in play for the NFC East again this year.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
So that they can get the best QB and the best overall talent in the draft in Barkley.... They have more than enough picks to move up and I'm sure their fans would appreciate the FO being aggressive at the draft rather than letting other teams step over them to draft franchise guys. The Browns have mad a lot of moves this offseason if I'm the new regime moving up and having the first two picks in this draft is a great way to start the future of the team.
I AM a Browns fan. Have been since Brian Sipe and the Kardiac Kids.

I assume you're a Giants fan? Because that deal makes a LOT more sense for your team than it does for mine – as the Jets' trade up to #3OA pretty much carved it in stone that the top of the draft would play out as follows:

1) Browns: QB
2) Giants (or BUF/DEN/ARZ in a trade): QB
3) Jets: QB
4) Browns: BPA (or trade back)

Why?

1) The deal ensures that if the Browns wait to draft their QB (and after 20 years without one, there is no doubt they are drafting one), they risk getting their second or even third choice. Hence #1OA (which was likely to be a QB anyway) will now definitely be a QB.

2) Meanwhile, it also ensures that if the Giants want a QB, they have to stay where they are, otherwise, they risk getting at best their fourth choice (or much more likely, missing out on the current class entirely).

3) And if the Giants (foolishly, IMO) decide they can hold off on drafting Eli's replacement, it likewise means that any other team that wants a QB has to deal with the Giants – or they then risk getting their fourth choice/missing out on the current crop entirely.

Sure, from a Giants' fan's perspective it would be nice to say "ooh, give us a haul to move up two spots or you risk losing Barkley" so you can con us out of a bunch of additional draft picks and still get your QB (presuming you see no real difference between the #2 and #3 guys, and are happy to let your crosstown rivals get the first pick of the two, which I find dubious) – but it's an easy bluff to call given the above. Either you love a QB and are going to stick where you are to pick him, or you are willing to wait another year or two, in which case a BUF/DEN/ARZ is going to offer you a king's ransom to be able to move up and take him in your place.

No matter which way you go, the Browns are sitting pretty at #4, because the first three picks WILL be QBs.

The real question, IMO, is whether, after the above plays out, the Browns then trade back with one of the teams that misses out on the first 3 QBs, desperate to get the 4th of the top 4.

EDIT: I should also add that while I personally love Barkley, the new Browns' GM, Dorsey, has a long and established track record of not drafting RBs in the 1st round.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The real question no one is asking... does Paul DePodesta allow the Browns to draft an RB at 1OA or 4OA? Because all the research seems to imply that drafting an RB in the 1st round should be frowned upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->